Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed receiver hitch on 2005 Tundra Reg Cab. Developed bed bounce on concrete interstate. Removed hitch, back to normal. Hitch reduced flex in suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
That wouldn't be a fix to many, at least not to me. A truck made for hauling and towing with out a hitch makes no sense at all to me. There are not a lot of concrete roads in NJ, so I suffered very little from the bed bounce, but to have a 1/2 ton pick up truck with no hitch receiver?
Last time I towed my TT to the Poconos, (week before labor day) I had my wife in the front, and my two boys and my mom in the back seat. Payload of course was already at its max, so I had close to nothing on the bed of the truck.
The bed bounce on a long stretch of highway in PA got so bad that it was almost impossible to hold a conversation. The kids had a blast of course:roll eyes: but it really got to be truly annoying to me. We left the trailer there for three weeks (gas saver package) and on the way back when empty, the bounce was even worse.
The last round trip we took, we took the new truck and picked the TT up, the difference was night and day. I've got to say the bed bounce was the most annoying issue (I should really say the only annoying issue) that I ever had with my Tundra.
It is a shame that Toyota has not fixed this issue on their trucks, yes I know it is a compromise, but it would steer some from ever buying a Tundra again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just stating a fact. Searched the net on this issue and read every possible fix including the TSB from Toyota. Could find nothing on hitches. I'm the original owner and the day after I had the receiver hitch installed, I drove to a lake to check out boat ramps. I wasn't hauling my boat but as soon as I hit the grooved (not horizontal expansion joints) concrete on 85, my teeth started to rattle. Knew immediately it was the hitch. Mine is an '05. Hitch was not standard equipment. Was it standard on the 2007 - 2010 models? It's a pain to drop a hitch but if you do, let us know the result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
What applies to a 2005 Tundra does not apply to a 2007+ Tundra as they are completely different animals. I've got a 2008 DC 4x2, after swapping the rear shocks and updating the cab mounts I have absolutely no bed bounce loaded or unloaded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
What applies to a 2005 Tundra does not apply to a 2007+ Tundra as they are completely different animals. I've got a 2008 DC 4x2, after swapping the rear shocks and updating the cab mounts I have absolutely no bed bounce loaded or unloaded.

What did you swap it with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
I'm running Rancho RS9000XL on the rear and the Rancho Quicklift on the front, the fronts are also adjustable. For normal driving I have them set at 3 and when I tow my toyhauler I set them at 7. Before I used to get crazy bed bounce at about 70 mph and it would smooth out around 80 mph. After I switched to this setup the bed bounce was 95% gone. The other 5% was taken care of when I changed the rear cab mounts but my cab mounts were completely ruptured and all of the fluid had leaked out of them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,713 Posts
I have a 2010 TRD DC w/hitch and have never experienced the bed bounce. I have driven it on Utah's concrete roads and no problem although I have always had my bike on the back when I have done those.
The same highways I test my shackles and poly bushings on.. Some roads are definitely worse than others but the shackles and polys work excellent together :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top