Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches and could not find this exact topic discussion. Anyway my 6 bed bolts on my recently new to mew 2011 crewmax have some signs of surface rust. Not the bed rust issue that I know has been discussed before, just the bolts themselves.

I found this TSB and was surprised I couldn't find anything on TT about it. Unless I completely missed it.

2007-12 Toyota Tundra Truck Bed Bolt Rust / Corrosion - TSB | Tundra Headquarters Blog

My main concern is that I am getting my bed line-x-ed this Friday and wanted to see if other members have had the issue handled by toyota. I know line-x will spray the bolts black if requested. I plan on asking them to sand the rust off my bolts and cover with black to match the bed. But if that's something they don't want to do I plan on bringing this TSB up to the dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this on my 2012 last year. They simply replace the bolts. No big deal but you've got to be able to show them the rust most easily on the paint around the holes. Once you've got it documented you can either go through with the line x, and have them spray the new bolts later or simply wait until your dealership finishes the replacement.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
OP, if you have the TSB done make sure you request that they torque the bolts correctly. I had the undercarriage spray done on my 2002 Tundra and they had to replace all the bolts due to rust and being unable to remove them without cutting them out. They wouldn't even budge with a 2' breaker bar without potentially stripping the heads.

If they torque them correctly upon replacement, you can at least take them off, put anti-seize compound on them and never worry about them again. Also take care of the undercarriage of the bed to make sure it doesn't rot through from underneath were the welds are located.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the line-x sprayed friday. Then I had my state inspection on saturday morning. I had the dealer look at the bolts and the TSB. Apparently since its certified it should have been done while during that process. I am still waiting to hear back on that.

The bolts were the only thing showing rust. The bed itself on the top had no signs. I looked as best I could on the bottom, didnt see any rust, but without the bed off that is hard to tell.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Anyone have the bed bolt specs? Size, thread pitch, etc.?

Dealer told me I was up the creek since I had already had my Line-X done. Don't know if that's true, but I'd like to see what FastenAll has to offer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't tell you the tread info, but my dealer did the swap no questions asked once he saw the tsb. I had my linex sprayed a few weeks before they saw the bed. As long as they didn't spray over the bolts there shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Took her in for 15K mile service today and they covered them under warranty. I didn't yell, but spoke loud enough that everyone in the service bay, the waiting room and the sales floor heard me ask why my 1.5 yo truck had rusty bed bolts. I went on to exclaim how I thought Toyota made a better product than that. The service tech quickly got the service manager who immediately made the call to cover them under warranty.

I gonna try that sh!t more often!:D

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I took the above TSB to my local dealership. (I think this TSB document is posted somewhere on the forum) They replaced all 6 bolts under warranty. The new ones seem to be different and doesn't seem to rust at all.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My 2008 didn't really show much rust until I moved to Hawaii. Now they are covered in it but of course I'm no longer under warranty so they won't replace them. I spoke to the local service guy at the dealership and he said "there's a TSB on it but no recall".

It probably cost them $3 a pop, so Toyota should cover them all because they were all improperly plated.

I've got new ones on the way and might even paint them with black rustoleum to blend with the LineX.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I find it a bit odd that this TSB was put out after my '08's warrantee time was up. I do have the rust but it is very minor and I Fluid Filmed them to keep it from getting worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts