Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my truck lifted in two weeks and need to decide on wheels. My truck is a silver crew max. I was hoping to reuse my existing ProComp wheels (18x9 w 5.5bs) but they are so pitted I figured I would bite the bullet and get new ones.

So, first choose is size. 18s or 20s and then what design.

I really don't like all black on the silver trucks. What I like is chrome but want to avoid the pitting problem again. So, that leades me to the various machined and black/machined options.

Please help me choose. Let me know what wheels you like on silver and if you have pics, post them!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have 18's on mine. I like the smaller wheels but I'd recommend the 20's for a couple reasons. IMO there is a better tire selection for 20's and with my 18x9 +14mm wheels clamp on wheel weights hit the tie rod end and come off. I expect with the 20's the wheel weights would clear. I prefer black/machines wheels myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
701 Posts
I almost got those. I liked the Fuel Kranks also. I would have probably gotten either the Cranks or Kranks if it was completely up to me. My wife was whining about not having any input so I picked all the wheels that would be acceptable to me and let her choose which one she wanted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
18's or 20's depends on your personal preference. Some like the look of 20's and some like 18's. I personally prefer the look of 18's. Also the wheels are cheaper and tires are cheaper. With 20's there is some performance tax as well.

For me, the final factor that made me get 18's is the fact that roads around here are in horrible shape (pot hole galore). We even have brick roads. With 18's, I don't worry too much about the damage to the wheels. With 20's, I knew I would be.

I really dig Crank. I was not brave enough to go with zero offset. But they do look awesome. I also like the machined Crank better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What performance gains do 18" wheels offer over 20"s when running a 35" tire?

I was assuming a 20" wheel would offer better road handling given the lower sidewalll. Am I mistaken? Plaese share all know.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
You could do a rough calculation of moment of inertia of same size tire but one with 18 inch wheel and another with 20 inch wheel. The effect of larger radius of the wheel is straightforward (in other words, larger the radius, larger the inertia), the moment of inertia due to the tire is more complex (it depends on mass of the tire, outer radius, and inner radius.). In the latter case, the factor of inner radius somewhat negates the effects of the other factors.

In short, for the same overall diameter of tire/wheel, 18 inch wheel will have smaller moment of inertia. This means it is more difficult for 20 inch wheel/tire (compared to 18 inch counterpart) to accelerate and also to decelerate.

This is purely theoretical consideration. Does it result in detectable difference? It seems some members report no (detectable) difference in mpg between the two. Some members report lower mpg and slightly sluggish performance for the 20 inch wheel. None, it seems report lower mpg and more sluggish performance for the 18 inch wheel. So it seems safe to infer that the difference is detectable and bears out the above considerations.

With respect to handling of the truck, thinner tire will have a better response on a nice pavements. It's not a mystery why race cars use low profile tires. If you put high speed race car on a rough terrain, it will have problems really quickly, however. So here the performance advantage is rather ambiguous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts