Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to do a review of the BAMuffler system I put on my Tundra. A few weeks ago I spoke to Keith at Dirtydeedsindustries and we talked exhaust for about an hour. I told him what I wanted and he helped me narrow down the choices for my application. I was looking for a bolt on system that would last here in the south from rot/ some salt roads in winter and would keep the stock manifolds and CATS for emmisions purposes. I am in my fourties and wasn't looking for a loud exhaust, just a touch of growl and no drone at highway speeds.

We settled on a 8" system in S/S for long life.
bn.jpg

My truck came with a resonator on the rear tail pipe section. So I went to the local muffler shop and they had just done exhaust on a new Tundra and I was able to score a new section without the resonator. Grabbed some Rustoleum high temp grill paint and after a good cleaning painted it up. It matches up very well with the paint Keith uses on his exhaust system so the truck looks factory. The black tail pipe really looks so much better that the plain factory one anyway.

The new system bolted right up ! I drove it around over a couple of days an it sounded great. Nice raspy growl on starts and if I got on it but quite when I wanted it that way. I did have some slight drone at highway speeds but I still had the resonator tube Keith sends with the system to install.
I spoke to Keith again and got the instructions on how to put it on and WOW ! There is NO drone at any highway speeds now. I hear the BFG's more than the exhaust. It took away just a tad of the growl and rasp at lower speeds but it still sounds nice to me.
Now I have teenage boys that drive and I will give you their impression. They say it isn't loud enough. I would agree to this extent. If your looking to turn heads with exhaust sound everywhere you go this system probably isn't right for you and I would say get the 6 inch system or call Keith and ask his opinon. If you want a touch of growl , no higway drone, and need a CAT back system that does get noticed by those that pay attention, but can be quite if you need it to be the get the 8 inch.

There are a couple of tips I thought I would share if your going to do this install.
1. Don't tighten the main flange bolts all the way up. Leave just a slight even seam all the way around as the flange on Keith's system isn't cut the same as the factory one and you will bend the tips where the bolts go thru if your no careful.
2. Use the clamps Keith sends to pull the resonator down on your factory tail pipe piece as it will fit correctly that way. :rolleyes:
3. Once you have the resontator fit to the tail pipe section while is out from under the truck, put the tail pipe section back on the truck and double check the resontaor placement.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Their T-Shirt says it!!!!:lol5:
Hey !!! Wish Keith have send me one of those shirt.. I would have advertise for him... If he actually include stickers and shirts, that'll definitely improve his advertisement by having us doing it for free for him.. Oh well

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is it too early to ask this?...

Thanks for the insight...

What improvements have you seen? mpgs? punch?

Thanks,

BWJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to say yet on MPG. I did run the truck a few times with the factory exhaust off from the CATS back and it was a dog. Now with new system the low end is back ! I'd like to think it has a tad more punch but it could just be new exhaust excitement :lol5:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Being only two weeks into the Tundra world, I decided to add a TRD cold air and also wanted to improve the exhaust sound and engine performance. I read through some threads on this forum and decided to take a chance (kind of like a blind date) and give Keith at dirtydeeds a call. I found him very personable and easy to chat with and I paid in advance the full price for his 8 inch cat back SS muffler replacement system. This was last Friday and as promised by Keith, the system was shipped Tuesday of this week and I picked it up at the local UPS hub this morning about 10:30. Everything was packaged extremely well and arrived in perfect condition. After the unwrap, it took all of 45 minutes to lift the truck, remove the stock muffler and install the 8 inch BAMuffler system.

Very precise fit at all points and solidly constructed. When I started the truck, I was immediately pleased and impressed with the sound at start up, idle and revving in park.

Then it was off for a test drive and I couldn't be more pleased! The truck simply sounds awesome and feels more responsive at take off. I havent installed the additional resonator and may not - I like the way it sounds as is. But, at least I have the options to add it if I want to.

So, this was one "blind date" that I would recommend everyone take, if they are looking for a well made, precise, awesome sounding and performing exhaust upgrade. And the customer service from dirtydeeds was as promised - you can't ask for more than that.

Thanks, Keith - I appreciate the fine service and quality product! Keep up the good work!

Neal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update of sorts:

I finally got to get some highway time this past weekend on a 300 mile road trip. At sustained speeds of 70-80 mph you know the system is there but there isn't any annoying drone. Passing cars with vigor and WOT it comes alive and growls. The truck pulls great and roll up from 70 to 90 was impressive. My son was following behind me for most of the trip and he said "you definately hear the exhaust when behind the truck and its sounds great". I still don't hear very much exhaust sound inside the cab and carrying on conversations at normal levels was no different that with the stock exhaust while driving. I do feel there is more bottom end now but it's not very noticable and may just be wishful thinking. MPG's are about the same from what I can tell. I get about 14mpg running around on average. Less than that more often than not. :eek:

Windows down cruising around the beach towns you barely notices the system until you get on it. I did get a few head turns in parking lots and sitting a traffic lights. Guys were looking for the exhaust that was rumbling nicley but as my truck looks stock they couldn't pick it out of the line of cars until I moved :lol5:

As with most exhausts they tend to change sound some as they get older, so I'm guessing the tone will deepen up a bit.

I'm still very impressed with the exhaust. It does exactly what Keith said it would. IMO it has been the single best improvement for the grin factor I have done to my truck so far. Give DirtyDeedsIndustries a call !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Keith...sent you a PM!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday from Keith! Great guy and knows his shit. Hes a busy boy making these exhausts so Im patiently waiting for my 8" S/S as well. I sure hope he sends me a t-shirt too! Wink Wink! ;) Ill be sure to tag onto this review once mine is installed...

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hey !!! Wish Keith have send me one of those shirt.. I would have advertise for him... If he actually include stickers and shirts, that'll definitely improve his advertisement by having us doing it for free for him.. Oh well
Do these come with the purchase of exhaust system? Lol. I really like this product. I'm saving money for the 8" system. It'll be a nice Christmas present for me...by me. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
This set up is exactly what I need. No drone at highway with a slightly more aggressive sound that stock but nothing that turns heads in disgust.

How much did this cost?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
This set up is exactly what I need. No drone at highway with a slightly more aggressive sound that stock but nothing that turns heads in disgust.

How much did this cost?
Haha, exactly!! Not only is this system extremely clean sounding and drone free on the highway, it maintains stock low end torque feel since it is the only system for a Tundra which doesn't upsize the tailpipe to 3" which is way too big for a stock catted/stock manifold truck.

The system in SS is $849 shipped, in aluminized it's $649 shipped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts