Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Limited Crewmax and I am looking for a bed cover. I am interested in the new Bakflip MX4. Has anyone heard anything about it or have any reviews on it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey rock,
Just installed my MX4 on the Crewmax. Had a F1 or a G2 on my previous tundra. Cover was awesome, except for when you forgot to lift the lid before closing the tail gate. That's why I went with the MX4 on my new tundra. Super easy install. Took about 90 minutes from start to finish to include from un-boxing, gathering tools, lower cargo management rails, to trash cleanup at the end. First impression is I love the material of the panels and it feels like the connectors between panels are a little tighter than my previous one.... Might just be the difference in weight. I did find a chip in the black paint/ coating on the tip of one of the bed rails upon opening the box. But otherwise no other issues that I saw during is install.

The last panel and the tail gate seals pretty good. Doesn't sit completely flush like the other models but that's so you can open and close without crushing the rear seal. Will take some getting used to. Drain hoses don't seem as heavy duty as my previous top but these are a bit longer so hopefully no accidents with it slipping out of the drain plug and flooding the bed.

Overall I'm satisfied with it from first impressions. Will see how it does on the way to work tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any specific questions that I can answer. I ordered both covers through Josh @ SVCustoms. He's super awesome to work with and he was able to get me one drop shipped from Bak prior to him receiving his stock just so I could get it before my cross country move next week! That's what I call customer service.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Glad to hear you like it. If you could, let me know how it deals with leaks. That is my biggest concern when trying to buy one of these things.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Do they make one thats fiberglass, I dont want aluminum Ive heard it dents and scratches much easier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
bought the BAK Flip G2 and I'm happy with it. I think there's quite a few Tundra owners here with G2 on their truck. i'm also wondering about how it deals with leaks since its new line of product.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This mx4 is fiberglass in matte finish. I like the look of this one better than my previous top. Surprisingly haven't had it out in the rain yet as no May showers in the Pacific Northwest since i installed it.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
This mx4 is fiberglass in matte finish. I like the look of this one better than my previous top. Surprisingly haven't had it out in the rain yet as no May showers in the Pacific Northwest since i installed it.

No sir looks like its Aluminum
BakFlip Tonneau Cover - BAKFlip MX4

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I wonder how that would hold up with hail

my F1 seems to take a pretty good beating and is still in great shape

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I own the flex which is FG and its been so hot at times I can hardly handle or touch it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Been a bit since I posted last. Now on to 60 days of ownership so thought I would come back and provide an update/ review on it. Overall Im still very happy with this cover. Ive taken it through the car wash and had a few small drips inside after on one wheel well. Its also seen torrential rains in Florida from Tropical Storm Colin as well as some summer thunderstorms in Kansas. With all the rain I do get some small leaks in the wheel well area and in the rear as water runs out of the channel in the side rails. The amount from the channels depending on if I park on a slight incline or not. The amount of water that finds its way back into the bed to me is very minimal. I have a flattened cardboard box in the back that Ive been using to test for leaks as well as a piece of steel wool next to the tailgate. As of yet it hasn' destroyed the box and the steel wool was a couple of rust spots that have started to develop.

Also I haven't noticed any lift/ bounce/flap of the top in high winds while driving. On my previous tundra I had the BACKFLIP F1 and it had noticeable movement during side wind conditions which I haven't seen on the MX4.

Hope this helps those that are thinking about getting one. The rear panel seal on the tailgate is awesome and Im glad I don't have to worry about crushing it like I did a couple of times on the F1.

·
Registered
16 Posts
More than a few drips on mine

I'm very curious about the "few drips" comment. I installed the MX4 on my CM this past Friday, drove it through the carwash today and had a pretty steady line of water all the way across below both hinges - probably a cup or so of water at each one. the only other water was near the tailgate and it was minimal. Did you see about the same amount of water?

·
Registered
16 Posts
3 years of use First Gen Back Flip. Totally unhappy. Rusted leaking you name it. Will Never Purchase Again. Overall No Support for replacement of panels. Now I see why they only give us 2 to 3 years. But for the price Its should be lifetime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey I bought the MX4 about 2 months ago via Amazon and got a great deal. Such a great deal that I am not sure it was priced correctly because soon after I made the purchase the price went up to the same price that Josh is quoting. I tried to get Josh to match it and he couldn't...
as for the functionality of the cover I have no issues. No leaks, no movements in high winds and no worries about closing it after the tailgate is closed. The only complaint I have is the coated wire (underneath at each section) used as the engagement/dis-engagement of the hinges seems flimsy as compared to the Toyota factory bed covers used on the new Tacoma's...

Bottom line is that it is great and I would recommend to anyone looking to get a new cover. Hope that helps! Ask if you have any questions.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think most people cut a hole in the rubber pieces and run the drain hoses through there

Does anyone have the Bakflip Mx4 with a spray in bedliner? I have the Line X bedliner & was wondering where the drain hose goes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone have the Bakflip Mx4 with a spray in bedliner? I have the Line X bedliner & was wondering where the drain hose goes?
the drain hose goes into a hole that is drilled into the front two rubber access panels on the front of the bed.
Having a bedliner sprayed or otherwise would not effect this.
Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts