Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting the BAKFlip MX4 for my 2016 Tundra CM, but have been hearing some bad reviews regarding water getting into the truck bed. Most bad reviews of the water leakage that I saw were on Tacomas. I know a local that said his friends BAKFlip leaked pretty badly. I didn't ask what gen Tundra the guy had or which BAKFlip the guy had. I also met a guy who had one on a Nissan Frontier, and he raved his cover (MX4) and had nothing bad to say about it (I didn't think about water leakage at the time so I didn't ask). Appearance wise, I like the look of the MX4, low-profile, and it's a hard cover. Mainly worried about the water getting in the bed. Just want to find out from other Tundras that have them, PROs and CONs so I can make a dwcision whether or not to get the MX4. And, yes, I am aware that most covers will have some leakage. It's just that I saw a video where the leakage in this guys Tacoma was really bad, and he had to modify his rails and what not to stop the leakage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd also be interested in some reviews of the MX4. Trying to decide between that or the Revolver X2. Anyone know about how far each cover sits back from the cab when fully folded / rolled up? I have a bed tent I would love to use with out having to remove the tonneau. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have had a lot of good luck with the mx4, undercover flex , and undercover ultra flex. I sell a lot of both brands and you are correct that nothing is water tight. Have not had any complaints. If I can help with pricing just pm me.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had good luck with the MX4 as well for my customers. Avoid the G2 series like the plague.

Nothing is watertight, it's all on how you install it.

Remember, your truck and the cover are both built to a tolerance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had the MX4 on for about 8 months in the Pacific Northwest, through torrential rains and many washes. Mine does leak, but less than a quarter cup of water around the tailgate. I expected it to leak because I knew that it wasn't watertight, just water resistant.

Now I live in the SF Bay Area with temps over 110 degrees Fahrenheit and it holds up really well in the heat.

Given my personal experience, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. As another plus, I can stand on it while I'm washing the top of the cabin. I'm not heavy though.

For me, it's worth every penny I've paid. I especially love the flush appearance and the ability to close my tailgate without lifting one of the flaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nothing is watertight, it's all on how you install it.

Remember, your truck and the cover are both built to a tolerance.

Care to give some tips? I think mine is installed exactly as instructed and it leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing is waterPROOF is what I meant. If the cover is getting more that what you think is allowable, you're gonna have to first determine where the waters getting in and go from there.

Also remember that suspension modified trucks aren't going to drain as efficiently as stock.

It's more likely that a bracket has pulled out of position and is letting water leak around the wheel well or bulkhead.

Hard to say without a visual, but those are the typical challenges I face. And I live in a wet climate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm hearing, reading and experiencing that (for the most part) all Bakflip tops leak. They are not going to keep out water. What bothered me, is the black anodized paint started to flake off after 4-5 years. What bothered me more, is I contacted Bakflilp to ask them about this problem. I have never received a return call. That tells me, don't rely on customer service to help you in case of an issue. Keep that in mind when considering Tonneau covers for you truck.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have been selling BAK covers for years. If I call during business hours I always get a human and get issues solved. If it is in the warranty period, customer service always takes great care of my customers. If it is out of warranty they are fair and sometimes even go above and beyond.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm definitely out of warranty. I called a while back and I left a message with contact info. I didn't get a response. I then left a message on their website through email. Again, no response. I'm leaving it alone now. I was only asking for ideas or alternatives to repair the awful looking chips and flakes. Looks like a bunch of ash fell on the black top. It probably started flaking within 3 years, but I thought I had been accidentally sprayed possibly from a road crew so I didn't do anything. It wasn't till I noticed I was getting more and more spots, that I noticed it was the black paint flaking off! By that time, it was too late and I knew it. Its continuing of course to get even worse, as one would expect, so I thought I'd look into someway to fix it. I know people notice it, because they ask me about it. Everyone thinks it's paint. Nope! It's flaking as I show them the bare aluminum up close.
Some of the hardware started to rust prematurely after I purchased it. I recall I didn't get much help then either. The hardware still worked, it just looked rusty. But I'm leaving Bakflip alone now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had a MX4 on my truck for a few months now and love it. Is it completely watertight? No. There is minor intrusion at the tailgate, but like another poster said only a small amount. If this is a true concern for you, there are ways to mitigate, like doing the tailgate seal around the tailgate. I haven't done it yet and probably won't in all reality. I typically keep a pair of Sterlite containers in the bed to put in anything that might need to stay 100% dry.

I picked mine up off CL for a discount as it was cosmetically damaged in a hail storm (doesn't bother me - it still works). I plan on keeping it for a short time until I gather the nerve to splurge on the American Roll Cover, then sell the MX4 on CL for about what I paid originally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had mine for 9 months, thru a VERY RAINY spring and summer. Any leaking is negligible, and I love the looks. Very functional. Would buy again...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too have had mine for about a few months.. So far I am impressed.. Originally I was thinking of getting a shell.. I had a tacoma for years with a vinyl tonneau and liked the flexibility quite a bit. With the height of the walls in the bed of the Tundra.. I find that I rarely need to retract the tonneau.. The vertical height is enough fit many things inside with just lowering the tailgate.

We had some very large rains recently.. Like the others have reported, I noticed a tiny bit of wetness at the tailgate.. absolutely nothing to worry about IMO.. I had similar experiences with my old vinyl tonneau.. but still considered it to essentially be water-tight.

However.. Looking at the plastic cap on the tailgate there are some channels moded in.. The rubber gasket on the tonneau runs along the cap and can't fill in the little channels.. This has to explain the leaking that is only being reported at the tailgate. (plus the fact that the tailgate is the area with the most pressure to leak). I really don't know what any tonneau brand could do to fill in the little channels with a rubber seal that runs the width of the cover.

I have always thought that if it bothered me, I might do some testing to find out if I could successfully plug up the channels, at least for the inch or so where the tonneau seal sits. The amount of leakage was so minimal that I havent yet decided if I want to investigate a solution..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got the MX4 and not sure if I have all the necessary parts, did any of you guys use the "angle shims" when installing your MX4? I don't seem to have been provided those even those the instructions show the Tundra will need them. Any help is appreciated...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't believe they are required for the Tundra.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
Price quote for Retrax One MX for 2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax please! I already have the bedrails, shipping is to 96818

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a MX4 on my 2016 F-150 which I traded in on my new Tundra today.

To me the MX4 is perfect because of the new rear gasket design and the ability to drive with it open without tilting it up. Mine leaked very little water even in a carwash. Correct installation is the key.

I like the MX4 so much that I ordered one for my Tundra today while I was at the dealership waiting for my new truck to be delivered,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts