Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new 2016 Tundra Crew cab and was looking at getting a locking/hard tonneau cover...

I had the G2 on my Nissan Titan (I should have removed it before selling it, dang). I liked it and it held up really well after 4+ years of use. Showed wear, but was still in great working order. I was just going to buy another G2 for the Tundra, but saw the Revolver X2. I like the roll-up feature that doesn't block the rear windshield view of the bed (make sure nothing is flailing or falling out).

But I've read a few reviews of the Revolver X2 with people complaining about durability over time. Small stuff like the felt where you roll it up, falling off, leaving a stick mess and some minor "joint" or panel issues.

Was wondering what people thought between the two, and if people have had the Revolver X2 for sometime, how is it holding up?

TIA!

·
Registered
22 Posts
can you send me the PM too? I just ordered the revolver on sale. live in eastern MA. did I screw up? liked ease of rolling, no velcro, didn't block window and secure. still bad idea?

·
Registered
877 Posts
can you send me the PM too? I just ordered the revolver on sale. live in eastern MA. did I screw up? liked ease of rolling, no velcro, didn't block window and secure. still bad idea?

Nope, was just telling him about the deal I found on the revolver and how much I like t :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is the Roll X purchased in April of 2014. All of the felt came off leaving a sticky mess. The aluminum slates have separated near the tailgate. Also, quite a bit of wear on the securing mechanisms. I've rolled the cover back an average of 3 to 4 times per week at most.
I love the function of the cover since it uses no bed space and is completely secure when closed. Keeps everything dry except for a little leaking from the tailgate. The cover just doesn't hold up over time.
James from BAK Industries said they would replace this one with a new X2 for almost $500. He said the new X2's have been improved and have a 3 year warranty instead of just a 1 year. Sent him pics on it today so will see what happens. If they do replace it than you know they will stand behind their products. Will let everyone know what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hopefully the new X2 lasts longer than the X model did.

This is the Roll X purchased in April of 2014. All of the felt came off leaving a sticky mess. The aluminum slates have separated near the tailgate. Also, quite a bit of wear on the securing mechanisms. I've rolled the cover back an average of 3 to 4 times per week at most.
I love the function of the cover since it uses no bed space and is completely secure when closed. Keeps everything dry except for a little leaking from the tailgate. The cover just doesn't hold up over time.
James from BAK Industries said they would replace this one with a new X2 for almost $500. He said the new X2's have been improved and have a 3 year warranty instead of just a 1 year. Sent him pics on it today so will see what happens. If they do replace it than you know they will stand behind their products. Will let everyone know what happens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mine looks exactly the same. No felt. I'm going to make a alum cover for where the pads contact and give it a new surface. And ill probably redo felt and check all hinges and see if in can give mind a new lease on life. Also. Word to wise for any of the roll x models. Where the latch moves spray in work motorcycle chain lube (wax) .. Makes it way smooth and waterproof as well

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Old thread, but good info.

I'm in the middle of deciding on whether or not to continue with the X2/X4. My Roll X did exactly the same thing after about two years as mentioned above. BAK industries was unable to honor the warranty as at the time it was only a one year thing, but they did offer to provide a discount on one of the new models with a three year warranty. I don't know if I want to spend another $800-$1,000 on a product that is not significantly different from what I can tell. I don't want to have to deal with replacing my cover every 2-3 years, even if it is under a warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I installed the X4 on my Superduty two weeks ago. So far, I really do like it and the finish, but I will say Bak's quality is terrible. My cover came with the wrong latch assembly and they had to send a new assembly out to me and I removed/replaced it.

For many folks, that would have required a new cover be mailed to them and a week lost in transit. I'm not impressed, but they did get me back into gear. I also bought the Bakbox 2 and I also like it. Its the perfect amount of storage for my needs.

I used to have a Retrax on my previous truck. That was a higher quality cover by far, but it was a real pain in the butt regarding how much bed storage it took up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Old thread, but good info.

I'm in the middle of deciding on whether or not to continue with the X2/X4. My Roll X did exactly the same thing after about two years as mentioned above. BAK industries was unable to honor the warranty as at the time it was only a one year thing, but they did offer to provide a discount on one of the new models with a three year warranty. I don't know if I want to spend another $800-$1,000 on a product that is not significantly different from what I can tell. I don't want to have to deal with replacing my cover every 2-3 years, even if it is under a warranty claim.
Late Update on the X2. BAK sold me the X2 for $500 since the original one failed at the 2 year mark. It only had a one year warranty on it so I guess I could not complain. The new (now 2 Year old) X2 seems to have lasted ok. But, my truck has been garaged most of the time where previously it had sat outside in the Phoenix sun and heat most of the time. So, my observations have been that if you garage your truck out of the sun than it should last longer than the 2 year mark.

The latching system to hold it secure at the tailgate was updated on the X2. When I took the original one off I noticed significant wear on it's latching system. The black felt on the bottom of the cover seems to be the same. Maybe they updated the glue used to hold it in place.

One problem I had with the X2 is that the cable you pull to unlatch the side latches pulled out of the mechanism. I took it apart and resecured the cable to the inside of the latch. Quality control problem since the clamp was not tight enough.

So, would I buy it again??? Yes and no! For what it does, you can’t beat it for function. So yes for me. Would I buy it again for the price? No! A price of half of what it retails for, probably. The full retail price is approaching the range of a nice used camper top. And, it seems that it does not hold up well enough over time to justify the price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts