Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to installing 5100s I measured all four corners and driver side rear was about an inch lower then the passenger side, no big deal I thought.
I then installed 5100s all around this weekend and now my driver rear sits 2" lower then the passenger side? Is this a spring issue or did I get a bad shock.

Before 5100s:
Driver Front - 36 3/4
Passenger Front - 36 1/2
Driver Rear - 39
Passenger Rear - 40 1/8

After 5100s (middle setting)
DF - 38 3/8
PF - 38 7/8
DR - 38 5/8
PR - 40 1/2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after a metric $#it ton more reading and examining the front springs/shocks I think I may have swapped the original driver and passenger springs. Is it possible this could account for some of the difference in the rear? Could explain why the front left is now lower than the front right and perhaps some engineering wizardry goes into that also affecting the weight/balance placed on the rears?

·
Registered
963 Posts
The rear driver's side often sags a bit more than the other side on account of the fuel tank being on the driver's side. Also, the battery, brakes (MC, prop valve, etc) and driver are on the left, so it can contribute. But that much sag sounds a bit out of the ordinary. Shocks won't do a thing about ride height - it's the spring or coil (or airbag) that supports the weight of the vehicle, so the new 5100 shocks should not have anything to do with it. Check the leaf springs for a cracked or bent spring; overloading one side or hitting obstacles at speed can do that. How do you use your truck? puttering around unloaded? laden with tools and supplies for work? as a weekend warrior?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Unless the rear shock or spring pivot is bound up...

This is a weird one.

Does everything in the rear move freely?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything moves freely. Truck is a daily driver and pull a pop-up camper 1-2 times a month. Measurements before and after were done with a full tank of gas.

So after doing some extensive reading/inquiries, on the forums and asking a buddy what the color of his springs are on the respective sides, spring with the Blue dot I have a strong feeling goes on the driver side and the yellow goes on the passenger side. I think I accidentally swapped them. Saturday morning I am going to swap them around and see what the results are.

When I put a jack under the driver side and raise it up it counter acts the passenger rear and pushes it down bringing the truck closer to level. If I am right about the shocks and can get back to the w/in 1" difference left to right in the rear and depending on left to right difference up front I may opt to put one CB shim in on the driver front.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I marked my dr and ps when I did my fronts. I can look and see what color dots, but I think I have two dots on each side.

I can look at my truck as I know I didn't mix mine up.

But it is also a 2017 Plat Cm.

If you feel you swapped sides, swap them back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.