·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
bump. wtf is that?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Idler pulley, idler control arm, alternator bearings, fan clutch, a/c compressor, hard to really tell not having the truck in front of me, but it sounds like a bearing somewhere.

An easy way to pinpoint this may be to temporarily remove the fan belt and see if the noise goes away. If so you know its in one of the belt driven accessories.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Idler pulley, idler control arm, alternator bearings, fan clutch, a/c compressor, hard to really tell not having the truck in front of me, but it sounds like a bearing somewhere.

An easy way to pinpoint this may be to temporarily remove the fan belt and see if the noise goes away. If so you know its in one of the belt driven accessories.
so i finally got a chance to work on the truck. pulled the fan belt off and the noise stopped. spun the water pump pulley and it made some grinding noises. i'm trying to get the fan off of the pulley and not having much luck. I'm about to pull the front end of the truck apart to get to it. any advice? i'm not adverse to pulling the front end off.......

edit: i may need the belt routing diagram. in my haste to pull shit apart i didn't see that i don't have a routing diagram on the hood.....

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
sounds like h2o pump or some idlers failing or all of the above.

Sorry, I don't have a diagram. I think belt routing should be on a decal somewhere under the hood. They normally are.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
31 Posts
sounds like the water pump. how many miles you have of your tundra?
my dads made that similar noise but at 300k. with no previous history of any idlers or tension being replaced. i replaced the idlers just in case along with wp, t belt, t stat, and radiator cap

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got a new water pump for my truck. is there a DIY around here for how to replace it? They didn't have a chiltons at Oreilleys. and they didn't have any red radiator fluid so i got the universal. is that OK?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would look to download a PDF of the factory repair manual for help. im sure if you google it, you can find a DIY. being a toyota tech, i really recommend using toyota red or pink (premix) coolant. can only get these at toyota dealerships

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i got the wrong part. i think the water pump and timing belt are pretty new. it might just be the bearing on the fan. it still looks like it takes a tear down of the front end. i hit a wall since i'm missing the right bolts on my pulley puller for the crank. oh well. will buy a new one tomorrow and try again.

what is that part called so i can get a new one? the part that holds the fan assembly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts