Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I woke up this morning to find my drivers side headlight has cracks and a haze that looks like oil-ish tint.
So I tried to diagnose this problem and The only thing I could have done to do this is I had to spray bug spray "deep woods" last night on my niece. Come to find out this can actually melt the plastic!!!!:eek:

Any Suggestions? Its driving me crazy!
WATCH THIS VIDEO!

Reactions: Wacked

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Wet sand, compound and polish is the most tried and true process for head light correction. There is no gymic to it, just a simple process to restore the light back to new condition. Do you have a DA polisher?
I actually got suckered into the "Wipe New" kit that walmart sells. It's just a sanding block with 2 different grits that you wet sand with and a polish that you apply after. Worked good though. Could have saved 20.00 with stuff I have in my garage.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
So, I woke up this morning to find my drivers side headlight has cracks and a haze that looks like oil-ish tint.
So I tried to diagnose this problem and The only thing I could have done to do this is I had to spray bug spray "deep woods" last night on my niece. Come to find out this can actually melt the plastic!!!!:eek:

Any Suggestions? Its driving me crazy!
WATCH THIS VIDEO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmbBZntuY8
That deep woods stuff actually burns my skin. The regular off doesn't though. I'm not sure I would use something that strong on a kid.

Reactions: dansto82

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is crazy! Good to know for the future

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
I'd just replace it. You can get one really cheap for the Gen 1.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-6177-00-Passenger-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B000H8W26K/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Tundra%7C1033&Year=2000%7C2000&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=6&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Wet sand, compound and polish is the most tried and true process for head light correction. There is no gymic to it, just a simple process to restore the light back to new condition. Do you have a DA polisher?
Any recommendations on products or kits @Jumbo Jet???

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Sure. I normally start the process with 2000 grit wet sand, followed by 3000 grit. Then Menzerna FG 400 with a MF cutting pad, DA on 5. Finish it down with Menzerna SF 4000 with a white or green Über pad. Each lens takes around 10 minutes.
I assume the wet sand is by hand??

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If you're doing hazy headlights, you can tell when it's all gone, the water will be like a yellowish paste, that's the bad layer coming off. When it sands clear, you should be good to move on to the next step.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Yes, wet sand by hand. Back and forth for the first pass, up and down for the second.
If you're doing hazy headlights, you can tell when it's all gone, the water will be like a yellowish paste, that's the bad layer coming off. When it sands clear, you should be good to move on to the next step.
Thanks guys, I may give this a shot on the GF's headlights. Hers are in way worse shape than mine.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I recently corrected my wife's 4Runner headlights.

3000grit wetsand, 2 passes.
1 pass with M105 on a yellow LC pad
2 passes with M205 on an orange LC pad
1 pass with Menzerna 4500 on a finishing pad

Be sure and protect with sealant for longevity.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
I recently corrected my wife's 4Runner headlights.

3000grit wetsand, 2 passes.
1 pass with M105 on a yellow LC pad
2 passes with M205 on an orange LC pad
1 pass with Menzerna 4500 on a finishing pad

Be sure and protect with sealant for longevity.
Nice!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.