Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed backup lights in rear bumper with red + and black -

Bought an aftermarket harness on Amazon w/ 3 pin switch and relay. Instructions say to wire both positives to the battery and both grounds to frame. Problem is led lights on switch stay powered even when truck is off. Should the positive for the relay be wired to radio, cig lighter etc? Switch is #7 ground #3 power in #2 load

Also lights do not turn on, all connections are solid and wired correctly with black to black & red to red

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Basic 12v relay wiring schematics.

Relay:

Which one is which depends on your relay.

One to ground
One to constant battery 12v
One to ignition switched ACC on 12V
One to hot lead of your lights.

Ground your switch.
Ground your lights.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
What is the current load? I have a pair of led lights that I wired directly to the factory reverse light. Unless you draw a lot of power or want to turn them off and on from the dash, why do it the complex way?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the current load? I have a pair of led lights that I wired directly to the factory reverse light. Unless you draw a lot of power or want to turn them off and on from the dash, why do it the complex way?
I read on another users post that it was best to have a switch as they 're fairly bright

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I see only 3 contacts there. Is the screw hole a ground?
Any "engineered" solution would first requiring what the actual power draw would be. Then wiring with or without a proper sized relay can be safely installed.
An way oversized relay is more likely to fail than one near but exceeding the load.
What another poster who an engineer, handy person or wild guesser did should all be taken in context.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
EDIT..

I think his 3 contact pic might be his switch...

I see only 3 contacts there. Is the screw hole a ground?
Any "engineered" solution would first requiring what the actual power draw would be. Then wiring with or without a proper sized relay can be safely installed.
An way oversized relay is more likely to fail than one near but exceeding the load.
What another poster who an engineer, handy person or wild guesser did should all be taken in context.
I don't understand what is going on with the relay.
Anything I can find shows it to be a 4 pin.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12-volt-4-pin-relay-toyota_60573448321.html

FLS821-1 - Buy Relay for Air Conditioning, Auto Relay for Air Conditioning, Automotive Relay for Air Conditioning Product on Zhejiang Feileisi Electrical Technology Co., Ltd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.