Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I recently upgraded my stereo to a pioneer touch screen with all the good stuff including back up camera set up.

So my question is has anyone just bought the camera and wiring and a tailgate latch with the camera slot in it and installed it to the stereo vs buying the whole set up with the home link mirror?

Car toys was running a free back up camera when I did the stereo but id rather do it right and not have them drill thru my bumper. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I installed my own camera. I drilled a hole in the latch bezal for the camera. Looks better than factory in my opinion. those homelink mirror/monitors are too small anyways. My camera was for hooking up trailers. Those mirror minitors were useless to me.

KO

·
Registered
670 Posts
May want to look at the license plate mounted cameras from BOYO. Cheap/good picture quality and easy to install.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a pioneer 7" screen and love my plate camera from crutchfield $79. Love the angle and can still backup with the tailgate down. Only drawback is if it rains or snows it will obstruct the view and you have to wipe it off real quick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, still works... I've had an issue or two, especially if we have a lot of wet weather. But I do park in a garage at work so the Tundra is dry most of the day.

I didn't know what to expect when I got it, but it has lasted longer than I originally thought it might.

The concepts are basically the same regardless of cost - get power to the camera, get the composite video signal to the display and use some method to turn it on and off.

Good luck!

Ricko

1 - 8 of 8 Posts