Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Tundra double cab 4x4 auto (console shift)

Hi guys, I've scoured the net for any info on this so I'm hoping to find some ideas.. this issue started fairly intermittently, and until lately would go away for a while if I cycled the gears from park to 1st and back once or twice but that fix hasn't proven permenant lol..
When braking (in drive at any speed) the backup camera on the rear view displays, the left indicator is solid, the gear indicator says "R", and the left brake light doesn't work. Everything switches back to normal when lifting the brake pedal.
A buddy of mine thinks the shift lock control ECU needs replacing, but I thought some 2nd opinions might be good. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, I'll look next time it's happening. If it were a crossed wire, do you think it would be a constant and not intermittent? Also, shifting from park to 1 a few times has made it go away in the past remporarily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's a pioneer nex4600, but it was done professionally by a veteran installer so I'd doubt there's an issue there. Plus the shifting would stop the issue temporarily.. wonder if it could be what my friend suggested, I don't know if those components are related

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for uour thoughts but I don't think there's much tying into the head unit from the camera, brake lights, etc. The backup cameras typically tie into the reverse lights so I might pull the tail light and see if anythings amuck there

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thank you for uour thoughts but I don't think there's much tying into the head unit from the camera, brake lights, etc. The backup cameras typically tie into the reverse lights so I might pull the tail light and see if anythings amuck there
Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about. The head unit connects to a TON of things on the truck. If you can answer the question about whether or not it was happening before the install, I bet one of the guys here can figure it out for ya. LOTS of things are related to that harness behind the dash.

Reactions: Dragos28

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It was happening before the install, which was about 2 weeks ago, it has ramped up in frequency over the last 6 months
That is extremely useful, thank you. Knowing that, I would check for a broken ground wire around the taillight harnesses, or even the trailer connector harness. Are there ANY other mods on the truck? Aux reverse lights or LED's or ANYTHING at all?

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
i'd first check the trailer plug harness since that is the most exposed to road debris.
but i'd have someone follow behind and see if the reverse lights kick on when this happens.

also pull the left light out, the whole assembly and check that harness as far back as you can into the bed and under the truck. since you said the light on the dash stays solid and so does the R light i'd bet the issue is in the tow harness or the wire harness on the left side. hopefully its there, because if its further up the pipeline, that would be a headace to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a lead.. while the brake was on, I checked carefully and the reverse lights were super dim but they were lit. I pulled the left tail light off and jostled the harnesses and they went off and the brake light illuminated! So maybe it's a loose pin on a bulb or a problem with one of the harnesses on that side, concurred?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
It certainly could be a bad bulb. Another possibly is a bad spot in the wiring harness. I suggest you look it over to see if some critter has been munching on the soy based wire insulation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mmmm.. soy based.. so far everything looks pretty clean. A bad bulb, eh? I noticed on the driver side backup bulb, part of the metal contacts were black, maybe heat or maybe a short. I'll get some bulbs. I would feel pretty silly if that's all it turns out to be.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Mmmm.. soy based.. so far everything looks pretty clean. A bad bulb, eh? I noticed on the driver side backup bulb, part of the metal contacts were black, maybe heat or maybe a short. I'll get some bulbs. I would feel pretty silly if that's all it turns out to be.
It's not a bad bulb. It's a bad connection to ground causing it to ground through another circuit. It's either a bad connection at the plugs to the taillight, or somewhere along that harness as previously mentioned. The bad / burnt bulb is a RESULT of the bad circuit, not the cause of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update.. the harness tucked up behind the tail light toward the tail gate wasn't fully connected. I pushed on it and.. click! So far the problem has gone away so I suspect that was it. I feel silly that it was something so simple, I think it was throwing me off that shifting through gears would postpone it for days and weeks. It's also a huge relief. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.