Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1055 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
So I regret to report I'm no longer going to be able to attend this run. The USMC Scout Sniper Assoc has decided to host our annual reunion the same weekend and I can't miss the opportunity to see old bros. Sorry gang.

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Yup, Banned.

;)

My grampa was a Sgt Major in the corps with over 30 years duty. I know what that family is like Marine. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So I regret to report I'm no longer going to be able to attend this run. The USMC Scout Sniper Assoc has decided to host our annual reunion the same weekend and I can't miss the opportunity to see old bros. Sorry gang.
As penance, post up a build thread on your rig. It has to be the best balance of daily driver/overland Tundra I have seen here or on EXPO. I am sure there are a ton of people who would like to see the all the details.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As penance, post up a build thread on your rig. It has to be the best balance of daily driver/overland Tundra I have seen here or on EXPO. I am sure there are a ton of people who would like to see the all the details.
I've been working on such a post. After seeing Osides build thread, I've got a lot of work to do! Thanks for the compliments on the rig. I would not suggest it's the best by any means. And almost all of my ideas have come from here or EXPO so there are others out there. This site has cost me a lot of $$$ and I know others can relate!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've been working on such a post. After seeing Osides build thread, I've got a lot of work to do! Thanks for the compliments on the rig. I would not suggest it's the best by any means. And almost all of my ideas have come from here or EXPO so there are others out there. This site has cost me a lot of $$$ and I know others can relate!
There are definitely some other cool rigs out there for sure, but it seems like you have struck the right balance between DD and expedition rig, at least according to my preferences. Osidepunker has built an extremely capable truck, but it slides the scale more towards gofast. Bigwapiti built an absolute tank, but that truck slides a bit heavier towards dedicated expo rig, even though he does DD it. It seems like N2Deep has made a good LT/MT/camping hybrid as well. No doubt there are others out there as well. Anyway, looking forward to the build thread.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Yo is this gonna be 2wd friendly I.e good to go for a mall crawler? Don't wanna completely embarrass myself here lol

My truck is only 2wd;) if it can make it a stock one can. It's meant to haul ass in the desert, not rock crawl, but I'm going to rock crawl it I suspect. I've seen videos of the trails in Sedona, If need be I'll turn around and go back to Cinders!!!!!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
There are definitely some other cool rigs out there for sure, but it seems like you have struck the right balance between DD and expedition rig, at least according to my preferences. Osidepunker has built an extremely capable truck, but it slides the scale more towards gofast. Bigwapiti built an absolute tank, but that truck slides a bit heavier towards dedicated expo rig, even though he does DD it. It seems like N2Deep has made a good LT/MT/camping hybrid as well. No doubt there are others out there as well. Anyway, looking forward to the build thread.
Yeah man its all about which way you lean. Glamping means weight, weight mean SLOW. When I first started planning, the needle was slid all the way towards overlanding. But as I started gaining experience, the GOFAST bug bit me.

My challenge now is making my truck as comfortable as possible while maintaining a high level of performance off road. I want to have fun during the day blasting through deserts and mountains and at night pitch a tent and enjoy my surroundings. I dont want an RV and I dont want a trophy truck, I want both :D

obtw, my truck is also an excellent DD. I can still get 14mpg if I keep speed at 70. My RTT and rack will lift off easier (only two bolts) than Craig and Chris once I get my pulley built. I can still haul more volume and weight than a Tacoma. I have tons of gear storage in the cab with the rear seat removed and I can still have 5 seatbelts ready to go in under a half hour. Once I add another 3rd brake light and light bar covers, the Truck will be 100% street legal. Engine and tranny are going to remain bone stock for reliability and warranty.

Yo is this gonna be 2wd friendly I.e good to go for a mall crawler? Don't wanna completely embarrass myself here lol
Yeah man! cruz homie! We help everyone out and I have yet to see a stock 2wd get held up on a run. You might need a yank or two, but its all good.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I hate tapatalk. It killed my reply. So I'll try to remember all the brilliance I had written from the bathroom...

My truck is only 2wd;) if it can make it a stock one can. It's meant to haul ass in the desert, not rock crawl, but I'm going to rock crawl it I suspect. I've seen videos of the trails in Sedona, If need be I'll turn around and go back to Cinders!!!!!
Just follow Dragos. He's 2wd too.

Yes, this trip will be friendly and fun for everything from a stock 2wd to a hardcore 4x4 overland rig.

The forest service has asked us to split into groups of around 10 when we hit the trails in order to minimize congestion. This won't be an issue in the Cinders, but really just on the tighter trails in Sedona.

This would happen naturally anyhow since some people will want to hit the seriously technical stuff, some will want a medium difficulty, and some will want a 2wd scenic drive. Plus some will be up early and some want to watch the sunset.

It would be pretty cool for us to all drive as a large group Schnebly Hill. It's long and wide enough to easily fit 40 rigs spaced apart, it's 2wd friendly, and probably has the best views of the area. We should drive down that hill all together in order to get the best view of the red rock country. Plenty of photo ops in the switchbacks too for a long line of epic trucks. :D

Ignore the pansies in the trip advisor talking about 4wd only. We drove up it in our '07 stock 2wd a few years ago. The Tundra didn't bat an eyelash at it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ignore the pansies in the trip advisor talking about 4wd only. We drove up it in our '07 stock 2wd a few years ago. The Tundra didn't bat an eyelash at it.

Sweet means I can ride some trails also.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
So after I get back from my Leave, I will be starting up my RZR project to race in the Baja 1000 so me and my buddy will be bringing the RZR up there so we can do some trails. Cant wait for this EVENT!

·
Registered
830 Posts
So after I get back from my Leave, I will be starting up my RZR project to race in the Baja 1000 so me and my buddy will be bringing the RZR up there so we can do some trails. Cant wait for this EVENT!
im insanely jealous thatyou hav a rzr, ill make sure to bring a towel for my drool

241 - 260 of 1055 Posts