Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I pull a 9800lb camper often and this puts my mileage at about 10mpg, thus with only 26gal Im having to stop every 2.5 hrs MAJOR PIA!!

I looked into one of those larger replacement tank but 1300$$ was a bit tough to justify.

So I decided to put a slim, bed tank in. I have maybe 400$ total in it. 309 for the tank, 40 for the valve, 25 for the switch, and 25 for some hose, anf fittings.

The tank is From DEE ZEE, it a 40 Gal tank (38 usable)

I used a 1/2" normally close electro mag solenoid valve approved for gasoline
The switch Im using is normally a marine momentary horn switch, 20Amp. Im using a momentary switch on purpose so that I have to have my finger on the switch to keep the valve open. I did this on purpose. I didn't want to install just a rocker switch for I didnt want to forget I had it in the open position and start over filling the main tank.

Used simple 1/2" pipe fitting, and gas hose to make all the connection.

I took the filler neck to the main tank off (the rubber one) and cut it in 1/2 and put in a "T" fitting. From there I plumed in all the lines, valve, fittings to the tank.

On the tank it self I installed a vent line on the other side to allow for expansion as well to allow the fuel to flow via gravity.

I didn't use a PUMP for the reason I didn't want to over pressure the main tank when filling and throw a code.

Well all is installed, tested, filled tank and rode on down the road and filled my main tank on the fly. I had 1/4 tank and hit the AUX fill button and held it on. Well it filled the tank in about 14 mins no codes or check engine light.

SO I am able to load 66 gal of fuel 40 Aux, 26 main.

Here are all the pictures

·
Registered
877 Posts
Very cool. Can you post links for the key components?

I like your taste in mods. ARB locker and aux fuel tank.

Reactions: MDHinSD

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm almost at the point of returning Transfer Flow's 30 gallon Tank/Toolbox combo. It hasn't worked right since it was installed and I found out today they are having to obtain a 2013 Tundra (Flex Fuel Model) to program and test a new computer module called the Trax II. So they sold me something they did not test first.

I like your setup - so simple. Did you do your dash cover with the burl wood too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished my install of the DeeZee 40 Gal tank. I tried the gravity feed with solenoid, but ended up placing an inline fuel pump. Much faster and no check engine light. I also added a fuel filter inline. Works great and now can go 500 miles between fill ups when towing!

·
I Kick Hippies
1,274 Posts
I love seeing this kind of stuff... not just for a good range extending solution and a quality installation...

Not expecting that these are out there is what can blow me and my guys up. A simple "in cab" fire (most common) could go very wrong quickly without fire extension to the expected fuel tank location.

I will be using these pics to illustrate "anticipate an auxillary fuel tank in common pickups, and the aux tank may not be visible from the exterior."

Thank you :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I love seeing this kind of stuff... not just for a good range extending solution and a quality installation...

Not expecting that these are out there is what can blow me and my guys up. A simple "in cab" fire (most common) could go very wrong quickly without fire extension to the expected fuel tank location.

I will be using these pics to illustrate "anticipate an auxillary fuel tank in common pickups, and the aux tank may not be visible from the exterior."

Thank you :)
Cool story bro.

OP, thanks for the awesome thread. I have a 37 gallon under toolbox tank which is mounted and just needs to be plumbed in. Do you have any picture of your T or where it goes into the rubber part of the filler neck? Do you remember which size T you got and did it have barbed ends? If so how did you secure the barbed end nearest the metal? Or did you just cut it far enough from the metal to have enough rubber to clamp? It's been awhile since I've looked but IIRC it's pretty tight under there.

Thanks.

Reactions: j_fuggin_t

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks, Well done!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
i think i may go this route.. i don't know that i want the 40 gallon, do you know if they make any other sizes? even a 20 gallon would be fine for me

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Never a bad time to remind Toyota Tundra engineers how unexplainably STUPID it is that they put a 26 gal tank in these big trucks. #EPICFAIL

Continue... nice mod OP!

Reactions: j_fuggin_t

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Never a bad time to remind Toyota Tundra engineers how unexplainably STUPID it is that they put a 26 gal tank in these big trucks. #EPICFAIL

Continue... nice mod OP!
or at least give us the option for a different tank size.. the crazy thing though? my buddies 08 duramax has a 26 gallon tank lol

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
or at least give us the option for a different tank size.. the crazy thing though? my buddies 08 duramax has a 26 gallon tank lol
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that GM also makes stupid decisions.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
Very nice.
Only one criticism, you said it took you 16 minutes to fill up your main tank from your aux tank.
all the while you had to hold down a momentary button.

that's the only part that i think would require some more engineering.

from what i understood you are running a 1/2" line to the filler hose, why not run a 1" or even bigger so your volume is greater?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great job on the install, but that tank is not supposed to be used for gasoline. It's recommended for diesel fuel. Gasoline auxiliary tanks have to be double-walled, meet OSHA and DOT requirements. Tank need to be vented with an anti-rollover valve. Technically, you need Hazmat placecards when carrying gasoline in a container over 8 gallons. I don't know how it is in other states, but here in NJ, I've heard of people getting hefty fines for this especially if you are involved in an accident. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade; just making prople aware of potential issues that may arise. Comments/responses welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts