Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got installed an Autostart brand remote starter (AS-2482TWS). So whenever I start my truck it honking truck's horn 6 times, annoying as hell as it looked like someone was trying to break into my truck. I took it back to the shop that did the install and told them about it and they said it's a factory alarm that is doing that as it thinks someone is trying to steal the truck and they said all Toyotas do that (riiight, sounds like a lame excuse to not doing the job properly). They told me the only 2 possible solutions are to disconnect the horn (which is a no-no, you have to have a working horn on a vehicle), or to unlock the doors, then start the truck and re-lock the doors again. So I told them to go with a 2nd solution but it doesn't feel safe to do that, the remote has 5000 ft range so leaving a truck at a shopping mall for example and starting it with no way of knowing what's going on near my truck, I'd worry having it unlock the doors to start it.

Anyone else is having their trucks doing something similar with remote starters? Does it sound like the job was not done right, or shortcuts were taken to get it out of the shop sooner? Or it is what it is and I have to live with it?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I'd say your installer is inept.
I have no issues like that with my Compustar.

Actually the only way the remote start/alarm makes the horn 'honk' is if I lock it twice or more with the remote.
Then it is just a short 'honk'.
First lock is the short electronic 'beep' tone, then if I lock it again, the horn honks for a quick short 'honk'.

When I remote start the truck, there no beep or honk at all.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
That is why most GOOD aftermarket alarms for our trucks that do not contain their own alarm ( Crime stopper, Fortin Evo one, essentially OEM mimicking remote start units) unlock, start, then lock automatically. It is in the programming/flash.

They probably flashed it wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is why most GOOD aftermarket alarms for our trucks that do not contain their own alarm ( Crime stopper, Fortin Evo one, essentially OEM mimicking remote start units) unlock, start, then lock automatically. It is in the programming/flash.

They probably flashed it wrong.
Are you saying good remote starters (not Alarms), do that? Unlock, start and then re-lock? Or are you being sarcastic? Surely if good starters do that, then my shop got the programming right???
I'm confused.:dunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Are you saying good remote starters (not Alarms), do that? Unlock, start and then re-lock? Or are you being sarcastic? Surely if good starters do that, then my shop got the programming right???
I'm confused.:dunno:
Basically, there are three categories of remote start systems, you can disregard the alarm/remote start vs remote start only, as ultimately, all systems fall into these three categories.

Cheap: Typically $75-125 units.

These units are hit or miss in this category. Sometimes they are not actually made to comply with the vehicle they are installed on, and are fairly generic, involve a lot of splicing. They also are known to be problematic for several reasons. Cheap. Not made to be vehicle specific. And generally, most shops install these as their low level units, and most shops that offer these don't really care about quality, or end user satisfaction. They also don't care as the total bill is cheap, so more often than not, they don't take any extra steps to make sure the units are properly setup.

Midrange: Typically $125-250 units. These are generally fairly decent, not extended range, but install and work properly using the oem keyless remotes. Most of the time these units integrate with the specific vehicle they are used on with programming/flashing. This is the category most often used, as the price isn't cheap, or expensive, no thrills, but starts, works, and works right. (Fortin, Crimestopper, and the like). These can be bought online for $170ish pre-flashed, and install simply using a T-harness, minimal splicing. Or can be installed through most shops for $75-150.

Top end" $300-$700 units, these can include alarms, other triggered outputs, have extended range, two way remotes most often, etc. These can tell you if it is started. Can tell you if it has had an alarm, and can do this from 1/4 to 1 mile away, or to infinity if you have the phone/drone type system. Do often need more splicing, however offer more functions.

None of these prices include install labor.

My Fortin Evo One works great. Range is good enough. I didn't need an integrated alarm. I didn't need two way, but extended remotes can be added, and I think even two-way.

It unlocks, starts, then locks itself all within 2-3 seconds.

It does this through the programming/flashing so you don't have the horn/alarm issue like you are experiencing.

Fwiw, I spent less than $250 installed by an actual reputable shop that gives lifetime warranty on their work.

I just wanted something that worked, didn't shut off when opening the door, and I like that I can add longer range down the road.

No frills. No problem.

Hope that clears it up for you somewhat.

I searched your unit, and found it discontinued, at least through amazon. And amazon sells damned near everything.

The information for that unit was last updated in 2013 fwiw.

I found it online for about $119. That doesn't necessarily mean it is the first category, but at this point I would really start looking at the install shop about issues. The site was skeezy. There are a few distributing sites that listed them, however they are not any I deal with.

There are only two shops I trust out of over a dozen not including big box stores within a 10-15 mile radius.

Here is a link where you can input your information, you need a serial number. If I had yours, it would not allow you to view it any longer.
This might help you figure out the issue.

http://autostart.ca/WiringInfo

You can also contact their support page through that link.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Shurup and riccnick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe I didn't made it clear but after I brought my truck back to the shop, the starter would now unlock, start and lock again when I hit the start button. So would it be now considering a proper install and programming? I wish it could start the truck without unlocking and then locking again...

I didn't pay for any extras, just whatever came in the kit (starter and a vehicle interface??). I paid CAD $400 including install and that was a boxing day sale. Not saying it's cheap or top of the line system but commenting on the unit price is not helpful guys. And even though the unit is discontinued, it's still newer than my truck (2007) so they *should* work fine together.
https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/details.aspx?categoryid=1&productid=23035&sku=as2482tws
^^ This is where I got it from and they did the install, specs are on that link too.

At the manufacturer's web page
Autostart - 2-Way LCD Remote Start System
it mentions that it has the "Built in Basic Alarm System" (Add vehicle protection with simple and easy connections. Using the door and hood switches along with ignition sense as alarm triggers, if tripped, the factory horn will act as an audible deterrent.)
Is it possible to de-activate a factory alarm and use starter's alarm instead? This way it should not interfere with itself when starting the vehicle (without unlocking, starting and locking the doors)?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I recently got installed an Autostart brand remote starter (AS-2482TWS). So whenever I start my truck it honking truck's horn 6 times, annoying as hell as it looked like someone was trying to break into my truck. I took it back to the shop that did the install and told them about it and they said it's a factory alarm that is doing that as it thinks someone is trying to steal the truck and they said all Toyotas do that (riiight, sounds like a lame excuse to not doing the job properly). They told me the only 2 possible solutions are to disconnect the horn (which is a no-no, you have to have a working horn on a vehicle), or to unlock the doors, then start the truck and re-lock the doors again. So I told them to go with a 2nd solution but it doesn't feel safe to do that, the remote has 5000 ft range so leaving a truck at a shopping mall for example and starting it with no way of knowing what's going on near my truck, I'd worry having it unlock the doors to start it.

Anyone else is having their trucks doing something similar with remote starters? Does it sound like the job was not done right, or shortcuts were taken to get it out of the shop sooner? Or it is what it is and I have to live with it?
I have a viper "one way" remote start only and also have the factory "alarm" on my 2011 Tundra.
Viper has been on for about 2.5 years. I also have the glass break sensor and the hood latch sensor.

I DO NOT have any issues like you describe in your OP.

From what I could gather, autostart is a directed product, same folks who make viper and others. May be a lower tier brand, but Directed has a good name, I think...lol

There are many folks on here who install their own systems. Hopefully someone with specific knowledge will "Chime-In" and provide you some assistance.
Doesnt sound like they shop did something correct, but I really dont know, just based on the characteristics of whats happening.

And "NOT ALL TOYOTA'S DO THAT" !!!

Disable factory alarm - someone with techstream software can disable the factory alarm. Be a quick test to see if everything works correctly.

My B-I-L has a two way viper with alarm installed on his Limited, but his factory alarm was never activated and he isnt having any issues and his alarm works. I know
cause I tried to open the door when the viper was on lock down...

Hope everything gets worked out for you !

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Do you have a factory alarm installed in it? I'd guess so, but want to make sure.
I didn't know if I had a factory alarm or not.
I had my remote start/alarm installed 2 days after I got the truck.

I did look at the widow sticker today (I keep it in my files) and I only have factory keyless entry.
No factory alarm.
I guess that is why I don't have the unlock/start/lock inconvenience y'all have..:(

Reactions: Shurup

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know if I had a factory alarm or not.
I had my remote start/alarm installed 2 days after I got the truck.

I did look at the widow sticker today (I keep it in my files) and I only have factory keyless entry.
No factory alarm.
I guess that is why I don't have the unlock/start/lock inconvenience y'all have..:(
Good to know, thanks.

So it seems disabling a factory alarm and using starter's built-in alarm may be a way to go.

I sent this question to Autostart customer support (also expressing my dissatisfaction with the unit and/or installation). Will see what they say.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Someone correct me if im wrong please.

All tundra's dating back to 2007 or 08 with the 5.7 has the alarm.
They may or may not be activated when you take delivery.

My 2011 and my BIL 2010 limited, were not activated at delivery.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

So it seems disabling a factory alarm and using starter's built-in alarm may be a way to go.

I sent this question to Autostart customer support (also expressing my dissatisfaction with the unit and/or installation). Will see what they say.
Oops, I looked over my window sticker to fast.
I focused on this part and the keyless entry system.
See the pic in my response to @purplenova

Someone correct me if im wrong please.

All tundra's dating back to 2007 or 08 with the 5.7 has the alarm.
They may or may not be activated when you take delivery.

My 2011 and my BIL 2010 limited, were not activated at delivery.
You got me thinking and I looked at my sticker again.
Not sure if all Tundras have a alarms, but it seems an alarm was part of the SR5 upgrade to my 2014.

I do know before my Compustar was installed, when I locked/unlocked the doors the honk had a short honk that annoyed me.
After they installed the remote start/alarm, I now only get a 'chime' sound when I lock/unlock.
It only does the short horn honk if I lock it twice or more which is good because I don't always hear the chime.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I know on older years, the alarm was standard on sr5 w/5.7. It was just not activated. I had the dealer activate mine on the 2010.

De-activating might get rid of the unlock, start, re-lock, but I am uncertain.

The unlock/start/relock is how mine works on my 17 with factory alarm.

Directed does actually make quality stuff. The op's unit might just have a universal interface instead of a toyota specific interface. That might be what the U in the model means, but I am not sure.

And as much as price and discontinued may not matter, I was just putting that information out there as I have seen a lot of issues with cheaper systems, mainly installer caused issues.

As a whole, most issues with remote start units are installation derived.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oops, I looked over my window sticker to fast.
I focused on this part and the keyless entry system.
See the pic in my response to @purplenova

You got me thinking and I looked at my sticker again.
Not sure if all Tundras have a alarms, but it seems an alarm was part of the SR5 upgrade to my 2014.

I do know before my Compustar was installed, when I locked/unlocked the doors the honk had a short honk that annoyed me.
After they installed the remote start/alarm, I now only get a 'chime' sound when I lock/unlock.
It only does the short horn honk if I lock it twice or more which is good because I don't always hear the chime.
FYI - its not listed on my window sticker, like it is yours.
If you can find someone or have techstream you can do it yourself. Some dealerships/service writers don't know about it either and will look at you like you are crazy
if you ask then to deactivate it for you. Have to show them the window sticker.

·
Registered
355 Posts

I just had a Python 4806p remote start put in my 2012 Tundra yesterday. Everything worked fine at the installers business but when I got home and decided to play with it for a while to show the wife and daughter, it worked the first 2 times. I tried it again and the horn started beeping 6-7 times and I was like wtf. I tried it again a few minutes later and it did the same thing and it didn't matter which of the 2 remotes I used.

I called the installer to tell him what it was doing and he at first said that he couldn't understand why it was doing that. He then started looking up some info on it and found that if you attempt to remote start it 3 consecutive times, that it will cause the horn to beep (just like the other poster stated) as if someone was trying to steal the vehicle. It will still start up but it's very annoying and you will get all kind of stares from the neighbors.

He said the only way to prevent this from happening is to only attempt to remote start it 2 consecutive times. Before you attempt it on a 3rd try, you will need to get in the vehicle, put the key in the ignition and start it up to reset the bypass module.

As I think about it, there may be some logic to this (Not many people try to remote start a vehicle 3 times before getting in and driving) but I still think it should work and not honk the horn 6-7 times regardless of how many times you do try to start it. I also think that disabling the OEM alarm may prevent this all together.

I didn't have much time to play around with it but I do know that I tried to remote start my truck before I went to the gym( I had tried 1-2 times again playing with both remotes) and it honked again. I then got in it 30 minutes later to drive to the gym and it worked correctly when I started it before I walked out of the gym. This goes back to what my installer was saying about getting in and starting it up to reset the bypass module.

If any of you would like to test this out, remote start your trucks 3 consecutive times before getting in it to drive and see if your horn honks 6-7 times. If it does, then get in it and start it up, then shut it off and get back out. Lock your doors and then try to remote start again. It should start up without the horn honks.

Please give feedback on your findings. This will let me know if mine is working correctly too and if it isn't, back to the installer I'll go.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok.....I've had time to play around with mine for a couple of days and I'm finding that it's not flashed/programmed correctly by the installer.

In all scenarios where I lock the truck whether with the 2 way remote or with my OEM one, the horn will beep 6-7 times when I try to remote start it, but it will start up. The headlights will flash (6-7 times) as well and this should not be happening. The doors will lock after it started.

If I unlock the doors before remote starting, it will start up correctly without the horn beeping or headlights flashing. It will also lock the doors like it's supposed to after it starts.

I then connected my laptop to the truck with Techstream and turned off my alarm completely. When I tried to remote start it then, with the doors locked, the horn was silent but...the headlights still flashed after starting up. This reassured me that it's all in the programming that the installer did. I also unlocked the doors again then remote started and it started without the headlights flashing.

I'll be taking it to the installer in the morning to get this resolved. I'll be asking him to reflash it and hopefully with the correct program. I'll update this post once all is resolved.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
355 Posts
Update........ I took the truck back to the installer with a printout I got off of a Best Buy question/answer forum. The printout was from a Best Buy tech who said that if this was happening, the installer didn't properly wire the remote start to unlock the doors before getting the signal to start the truck. My installer says "everyone's an installer" and comes back outside with me to show me how I already know it's working.

He says that he's done several Tundras and some have no issues and others have the same issue as mine but he doesn't understand why it varies. He says it isn't sending the signal fast enough to unlock the doors before the truck begins to start. He supposedly had a lady with a Sequoia that called him back complaining about her alarm going off when remote starting and he told her the same. He said to unlock it before remote starting and apparently hers would work correctly then.

As of now, I'm unlocking and remote starting even though I think I shouldn't have to. This guy is the only installer in town and I would have to drive 30mins to get to the closest installer (Best Buy,etc...) I work 2nd shift and the wife works through the week so I can't just take it and leave it all day. I may end up taking it to another installer on the weekend, just to see if they can resolve it without costing me more money. I do think it's in the programming but I'm not sure.

One other possible reason that the installer and I think may cause this to vary between Tundras is that mine has a "G" key. I would be interested to see if whomever else has this same issue has a "G" key or "H" key.

The horn honking is the only thing I don't like about it but I don't have an issue unlocking first if another installer were to look at it and say the same. Since I have a 2 way remote, I can see when it's unlocked then I can remote start. I love the range I'm getting with the remote (an honest 1mile or slightly short) and I have tested it myself yesterday. My home is around 1.2 miles from the entrance of my subdivision and as soon as wife and I turned into it good, I was able to remote start with my truck in my garage and the garage door down. She was really impressed as I was as well.

I would like to hear from others on here as to what type of key they have and whether there are others who's horns honk when they try to remote start. This may help others in the future.

I'll give an update as soon as I find out more.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok.... Hopefully this is the last update and it helps any of you who've had the issue with your alarm going off when you remote start.

You'll need to go into your program features for the remote start and change the "Remote Start Safelock" to "on". By default it is set to "Off". My system is a Python (made by Viper) but I have read that if you have a Compustar, etc.... you'll need to do the same.

Do not go into your Dball-2, idatalink, etc.. modules to make this change. Just go into your remote start programming menu and you can change it there. For those with a Viper made system, you can find the setting on menu #3 option #16

I was also able to go in and change the run time from 12 mins to 24 mins.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ok.... Hopefully this is the last update and it helps any of you who've had the issue with your alarm going off when you remote start.

You'll need to go into your program features for the remote start and change the "Remote Start Safelock" to "on". By default it is set to "Off". My system is a Python (made by Viper) but I have read that if you have a Compustar, etc.... you'll need to do the same.

Do not go into your Dball-2, idatalink, etc.. modules to make this change. Just go into your remote start programming menu and you can change it there. For those with a Viper made system, you can find the setting on menu #3 option #16

I was also able to go in and change the run time from 12 mins to 24 mins.
so, does this mean the installer figured out that it was his fault or did you figure this out by doing research?
Nevermind - saw your other thread - http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-lighting-electrical/422521-remote-start.html#post9149689

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.