Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching some youtube videos of people getting pulled out of their cars during road rage... left me thinking why don't these idiots just keep their doors locked???? Then I realized every time I shift into Park, my doors auto unlock. So I changed the options and the doors don't auto unlock anymore. The "but"... I was so used to them being unlocked, I haven't retrained myself to unlock the door before opening. Now there's firm pressure as the latch must unlock the door as it's opening. Any thoughts on damage this may do? I would consider going back to auto unlock.. but I often have kids in the car and am thinking of morons out there. Yes there is the option to mount a SIG to the inside of the console.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I've been watching some youtube videos of people getting pulled out of their cars during road rage... left me thinking why don't these idiots just keep their doors locked???? Then I realized every time I shift into Park, my doors auto unlock. So I changed the options and the doors don't auto unlock anymore. The "but"... I was so used to them being unlocked, I haven't retrained myself to unlock the door before opening. Now there's firm pressure as the latch must unlock the door as it's opening. Any thoughts on damage this may do? I would consider going back to auto unlock.. but I often have kids in the car and am thinking of morons out there. Yes there is the option to mount a SIG to the inside of the console.
I don't think you will damage anything being the doors are locked when you pull the inside handle. But only time will tell. thats like me using my steering wheel to get out of the seat on my 2014 since some genius removed the o-Crap handle on current models

·
Registered
88 Posts
lol I did the same after watching too much YouTube one day. And it only takes a few weeks before you start hitting the unlock button before you get out. It's a habit now. But I remember when I first changed the setting I always wondered if it would damaged the locking mechanism. Just get in the habit of hitting unlock before you get out and all is good.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
From the opposite side, I would love to be able to defeat the auto lock function. Such an aggravation when the doors lock on their own.

Around here we seldom need to lock our cars at all.

Reactions: ottsville

·
Registered
278 Posts
From the opposite side, I would love to be able to defeat the auto lock function. Such an aggravation when the doors lock on their own.

I haven't looked for the Tundra, but my old avalon there was a method that involved turning the key on then locking, then key off or something like that...was in the manual.

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts

I haven't looked for the Tundra, but my old avalon there was a method that involved turning the key on then locking, then key off or something like that...was in the manual.

On the 2014 +, you set it on the stereo touchscreen. I think you need Techstream for the older models, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have to admit I have not looked, just assumed it was just a part of our paranoid times to be so safe it's a hassle.

I wish our cars were like our computers, we can adjust so many features. Don't want to hear that alarm any more? Just turn the damn thing off.

I've had a couple of overly safe vehicles that set off a chime when I open the door. Jeeezzz

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I edited the auto lock OFF in my radio in about 30sec. I didn't want it locking as it seems unnecessary and more wear and tear on actuator assembly.
On a side note, now I hear a weird twang sound at the 11mph or whatever it normally locked the doors???
Anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's the sound of your freedom being realzed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ABS turning on
Is that what the sound is? I only noticed it after turning auto lock OFF. As it must happen at the same speed?

·
Registered
123 Posts
This. ^ Before, the locking masked the ABS. That was probably on purpose. I can hear my ABS on occasions when I lock my doors before driving off.
Well okay good to know. Yeah they planned it to happen the same time. Sneaky suckers. I have never heard any of my other cars abs turn on?

·
Registered
278 Posts
This thread had such potential then you guys had to go and post actual content.

;)

Reactions: W27

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well okay good to know. Yeah they planned it to happen the same time. Sneaky suckers. I have never heard any of my other cars abs turn on?
Its not actually "turning on". There is a self check for the system that tests to make sure the sensors are working, and they timed it to happen when the locks actuate so you wouldn't notice it. My locks are set to lock when I pull the shifter out of drive rather than at 15 mph or whatever, so I have always heard it. Asked about it years ago on a previous Tundra.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good to know

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ok don't laugh at me when I ask this. But you can turn the auto unlock off through the radio screen? I don't have to take to dealer to have this reprogrammed?
Yes you can do it yourself on the 2014+

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.