Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was letting my youngest drive again yesterday and told him to push the Auto LSD button to disable it. Well, he pushed it and held it, absent mindedly, and the Auto LSD light came on as well as a vehicle with the skid marks symbol above it on the instrument cluster.
Does any one know what that means? I drove it later with a few wot accelerations on my dirt road trying it out and could tell any difference.
Also, any way to permanently disabled this feature? I'm not a fan of my vehicles keeping me from spinning my tires. In some sliding situations, throttle is a better option than braking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was letting my youngest drive again yesterday and told him to push the Auto LSD button to disable it. Well, he pushed it and held it, absent mindedly, and the Auto LSD light came on as well as a vehicle with the skid marks symbol above it on the instrument cluster.
Does any one know what that means? I drove it later with a few wot accelerations on my dirt road trying it out and could tell any difference.
Also, any way to permanently disabled this feature? I'm not a fan of my vehicles keeping me from spinning my tires. In some sliding situations, throttle is a better option than braking.
Try reading through this...
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-4x4-off-road-tech/62976-vsc-off-lsd.html#/topics/62976

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a lot of confusing info in that thread, but I get the just of what they do now. Reaffirms my position of relying on my skill and abilities rather than the truck to drive out of a spin.
Thanks, Jesse.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I would say that for mud racing, the system is useless.
For winter driving on slick roads, the system works great and as intended. You don't want to power through a slide on ice. After driving every type of vehicle in Buffalo winters for 30 yrs, I can say the Tundra's system works.
And that's what it was designed for. It's more a safety feature than an off-road advantage.
Anyone who does any serious off-roadng will likely heavily modify their vehicle to the specific environment they are in.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I press and hold at least, most of the time I go stage 2 off.

It just messes with daily driving in normal conditions, at least when you really want to tromp on the skinny.

But in inclement weather, as just stated above, it works great.

Highway travel in winter, during a snow storm, it works as it should. Helps keep you on the road. Just if you want to do donuts, get off the highway, and disengage it, otherwise it will stop all the fun.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Idk what situation you imagine yourself being in where the "best" option is to spin the tires (further reducing traction), but the Vehicle Stability Control system reacts much faster to traction loss than a person can. And the best part about it, is that it can apply the brakes independently at any of the four wheels to pull the truck back into line, something a person also cannot do. Don't get me wrong, I like being in control too, and oversteer is always better than understeer, but for 99.99% of the time, the truck is going to make the right choice and stop traction loss at all four wheels, whether by braking an independent wheel or cutting throttle, which will always give you the absolute best directional control.

Here's an explanation I posted a while back.The Auto LSD feature is just one part of many that make up the Vehicle Stability Control system.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/631209-lsd.html#post7939457

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe that when you press and hold the Auto LSD, you are actually disabling the function.
I don't remember for sure after reading the manual, you need to operate the system a few times for practice because there are so many options for the TRAC system, the Auto LSD, and any other related systems, and how it works in 2WD, 4WD and 4 Lo.
There is a place on the Toyota Support web site where you can put in your VIN and find a manual for the vehicle if you don't have one. The manual is very good at describing everything if a little confusing. Sorry I can't tell you exactly where to find it though.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Idk what situation you imagine yourself being in where the "best" option is to spin the tires....
When you are racing in mud or sand and are redlining an 8 trillion HP vehicle with locked differential(s) to literally paddle your way through.
I can't think of any other situation where you want your tires to break free and lose traction.
Besides just stupid shit like fish tailing or donuts for fun.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I believe that when you press and hold the Auto LSD, you are actually disabling the function.
I don't remember for sure after reading the manual, you need to operate the system a few times for practice because there are so many options for the TRAC system, the Auto LSD, and any other related systems, and how it works in 2WD, 4WD and 4 Lo.
There is a place on the Toyota Support web site where you can put in your VIN and find a manual for the vehicle if you don't have one. The manual is very good at describing everything if a little confusing. Sorry I can't tell you exactly where to find it though.
I outlined how the system works and how many button presses does what, in the link I provided above. I used the owners manual as a reference when outlining my post. Just an fyi, that's all. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When you are racing in mud or sand and are redlining an 8 trillion HP vehicle with locked differential(s) to literally paddle your way through.
Like this?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would say that for mud racing, the system is useless.
For winter driving on slick roads, the system works great and as intended. You don't want to power through a slide on ice. After driving every type of vehicle in Buffalo winters for 30 yrs, I can say the Tundra's system works.
And that's what it was designed for. It's more a safety feature than an off-road advantage.
Anyone who does any serious off-roadng will likely heavily modify their vehicle to the specific environment they are in.

You know winter and you know this system .

Say the roads are pretty bad ( snow ) and im in 4wd high puttering along at 30mph or lil less just trying to be safe and get home . Its bad out but looks very passable. Up ahead a REALLY bad blown over section , a section it looks like real trouble.
So at this point ill be going a tad slower BUT want to keep momentum

Would i mess with any buttons ?

thanks

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
As far as the buttons, no.
I'm pretty sure the traction control is still engaged in 4wd, so you're good.
As far as plowing through a snow drift, as long as your tires maintain contact with the road or hard pack and the drift is light and powdery, you should be fine. It's when the snow is so deep that the truck gets hung up on it, like a big rock and your tires lose contact, that you're in trouble.
Good tires are #1 in winter.
And an actual snow tire is 10x better than any general use A/T tire. I don't care how many snow flakes they stamp on the side of it.
However, in places that have heavy winters, the roads are usually maintained so you don't run into too many situations that a typical 4wd pickup with A/T tires can't handle.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
If you just want to be an idiot and have fun doing donuts in a snow covered parking lot, you have to disengage the traction control. I would recommend turning off 4wd too.
I would also recommend not being one of those assclowns on YouTube that smash into 8 other cars trying to do a donut.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I just remembered another situation that is exactly like ice and you should leave the system on.
I lived outside of Monroe, LA for a summer.
When it's hot, the oils in the asphalt rise to the surface. If you get a light rain over that oil, it's like ice.
I learned that on an on ramp going to work one morning.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you just want to be an idiot and have fun doing donuts in a snow covered parking lot, you have to disengage the traction control. I would recommend turning off 4wd too.
I would also recommend not being one of those assclowns on YouTube that smash into 8 other cars trying to do a donut.

Im 56 and have worked past that stuff . Well 95% of it anyway . lol

thank you

·
Registered
154 Posts
Where this system gets in the way is going downhill on a loose surface as with a dirt road or one with gravel. Both traction control and ABS work against the driver in this situation. I rely on engine braking to keep my speed down and not the brakes.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Where this system gets in the way is going downhill on a loose surface as with a dirt road or one with gravel. Both traction control and ABS work against the driver in this situation. I rely on engine braking to keep my speed down and not the brakes.
Well, how would traction control work against you in loose dirt going down hill? Traction Control (A-Trac) only works when on the throttle, and only when the wheels begin to slip.

ABS, I understand, as loose surface straight line braking is diminished a bit, however, you still will have better directional control with the ABS active if you're experiencing a loss of traction (wheel lockup).

And yes, in some technical situations, it's smoother (and therefore easier to maintain traction) by using engine braking during low speed "braking" situations, but ultimately, you can still lose traction from downshifting too, and then you'll be in the same boat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts