1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a lower model but what I can tell u is that if u are using a iphone, pioneer hasn’t caught up with iOS 11 so YouTube/Waze among other things won’t work with AppRadiolive until pioneer makes a update. I got my unit to use Waze so I clearly was disappointed but overall the unit is much better then my jbl nav stock unit. Also the voice command is surprisingly good. Also since u can’t keep ur factory BT mic I found that the visor clip, clipped right into a blank rocker location and has been easily heard by the people I’m speaking with.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be prepared to spend another $150 to $200 if you want to keep steering wheel control and xm feature. I have a kenwood ddx9903s excelon. Few reason I chose it is the 2 year warranty, capacitive touch screen and faster processor compared to a comparable pioneer head unit.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Be prepared to spend another $150 to $200 if you want to keep steering wheel control and xm feature. I have a kenwood ddx9903s excelon. Few reason I chose it is the 2 year warranty, capacitive touch screen and faster processor compared to a comparable pioneer head unit.
I have the same HU and I like it.
I just don't like that I have to touch the screen every time I start the truck to cancel a warning..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you need spend additional money in order to have Bluetooth and steering wheel controls?
I thought this is plug and play unit that everything will work except navigation since need antenna

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why would you need spend additional money in order to have Bluetooth and steering wheel controls?
I thought this is plug and play unit that everything will work except navigation since need antenna

You need idatalink to retain steering wheel controls and a new xm antenna if you have a subscription.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
You need idatalink to retain steering wheel controls and a new xm antenna if you have a subscription.
He will need an iDatalink Maestro RR to retain steering wheel controls;

iDatalink - Maestro - Search

But he will also need an XM tuner if he wants XM radio.

SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV300/SiriusXM-SXV300V1-Tuner.html?tp=87

If he gets the tuner, there is an adapter to use the existing OEM XM antenna.

iDatalink Maestro SAT1

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794AN...a&awnw=g&awcr=67334113945&awdv=c&awug=9026867

There is also and adapter to use the OEM USB port;

Maestro UT02

http://maestro.idatalink.com/accessories/category/product_id/456

Some of these adapters might come be included in your iDatalink kit.

A side note:
Holy crap I paid $699 for my Kenwood DDX9903S and Crutchfield has them for $399 right now.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX9903/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9903S.html

Reactions: LKSR5-14

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not using Sirius xm radio.
I would like to have HD regular radio stations, CD, and navigation, mirroring with Android and iPhone, and full functionality of power steering wheel

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not using Sirius xm radio.
I would like to have HD regular radio stations, CD, and navigation, mirroring with Android and iPhone, and full functionality of power steering wheel

I would just buy the xm antenna. It might be on sale for $35 plus $70 Mail in rebate and 3.months free subscription.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
My Kenwood DDX9903S doesn't have navigation, I wouldn't use it anyway.
I use my Waze and Google maps app on my iPhone for NAV.
You could mirror your traffic app on your phone for NAV, buy my phone mounts to my dash right next to my radio.

It does have HD radio, CD player (that I never use).

If you want mirroring you'll need an HDMI plug in your dash to connect your phone to.
Also need an HDMI adapter cable for that phone.
I have that, but I rarely use the mirroring, its more of a novelty than a necessity for me.

HDMI plug above the USB on the right.

Nice to have the tire PSI at a glance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could mirror your traffic app on your phone for NAV, buy my phone mounts to my dash right next to my radio.

If you want mirroring you'll need an HDMI plug in your dash to connect your phone to.
I have that, but I rarely use the mirroring, its more of a novelty than a necessity for me.

I mainly want CD because of resale if I decide to sell my tundra down the road.
I thought you said waze doesn't work well on Kenwood.
Is it android friendly?

How you have tire pressure monitoring?

Did you install it or you had someone else to do it for you?

Any additional parts or trims?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would just buy the xm antenna. It might be on sale for $35 plus $70 Mail in rebate and 3.months free subscription.
I'm not using ever Sirius xm why would I need to buy antenna? Can I use factory car antenna for local radio stations?

·
Registered
88 Posts

Is it android friendly?

Why are you mirroring your iPhone when the head unit supports Apple car play? I'm using android auto and the navigation is ten times better than the toyota navigation.

And if your phone supports screen cast you can mirror your phone wirelessly. Meaning you can watch YouTube Netflix and etc right on the screen. This head unit is very versatile. Dual camera and dual audio zone control

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why are you mirroring your iPhone when the head unit supports Apple car play? I'm using android auto and the navigation is ten times better than the toyota navigation.

And if your phone supports screen cast you can mirror your phone wirelessly. Meaning you can watch YouTube Netflix and etc right on the screen. This head unit is very versatile. Dual camera and dual audio zone control
Oh I didn't know that iPhone no need mirroring. Thanks for that, my bad. Not so into technology lol.

I don't have any navigation on my OEM head unit so that why I'm looking for alternatives and I'm using galaxy s8 plus so should work perfectly with my phone.

I'm just not sure if is easy install or need professional installer. I would like to use my power steering wheel controls.

I no needs for Sirius xm since there is more than enough internet streaming itune music and no need for Sirius xm.
I'm not paying it anyway after trial I had first 3 months.

I will keep my speakers and not planning upgrading since I spend a lot already on this truck.
But definitely I hate OEM head unit. I may try to sell it once I put Pioneer nex or Kenwood but not sure what else I need to have everything functional?

Including my backup camera

·
Registered
88 Posts
You definitely need the idatalink link for steering wheel control. If you buy it from Crutchfield they have very detailed instructions and a very good phone support. I purchased the HU from a local stereo shop and it came with free installation. If you don't have any experience with car audio installation I suggest doing professionally.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did anyone have this unit installed PIONEER AVIC-5201NEX and if does, what is your feedback on this unit since local store have them installed for black Friday $499

https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?u=8331b8adae63e111d83ad14be&id=273471149b

Also they have Kenwood unit but not sure how good is compared to the Pioneer. See above ad

There's some rebates with pioneers new head units. I just ordered one with apple car play and android auto and it came out to $400 with no tax and a $50 rebate making it $350 for everything with free shipping.

I see that pioneer has an avh1300nex with no built in nav but with car play for $325 and you get a $50 rebate making the final total $275.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's some rebates with pioneers new head units. I just ordered one with apple car play and android auto and it came out to $400 with no tax and a $50 rebate making it $350 for everything with free shipping.

I see that pioneer has an avh1300nex with no built in nav but with car play for $325 and you get a $50 rebate making the final total $275.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
What Pioneer unit did you get? Any additional parts needed or not?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Is it android friendly?

You should keep your stock HU and put it back in when/if you sell the vehicle.
Your vehicle will have a better resale with an OEM radio than an aftermarket, more for a trade than an actual resell.
Everything I've done to my truck, HU, amp, replaced all speakers, adding a sub under the back seat, is plug and play.
I can remove everything and put the stock HU, factory amp, and speakers back the truck if I sell or trade in the truck.

If you look at the posted pic, it shows the tire PSI screen of my Kenwood..

I had it installed, but should have done it myself.
I had to go back in and fix what they didn't connect, the illumination wire, and had to disconnect, the dash speakers I told them not to connect.
If you know what you're doing, do it yourself, if you don't have it installed by a reputable installer.
I've been doing my own car audio for 39 years..

You can go to crutchfield and see everything you need.
You will need the iDatalink, for the 3rd time, and most of us like the gloss black dash kit over the silver one, the silver doesn't match the OEM dash.

I don't use Toyota navigation.
I don't need navigation on my HU screen at all.

Waze doesn't work with ApplePlay.
And I don't mirror it on my HU because my phone is mounted on the dash next to the HU.
I'd rather have my XM radio on my HU screen and the phone next to it.
The only time I use the mirroring is when others are in the truck and want to watch youtube or whatever.

I don't know if my phone supports screen cast because I won't use it.
I'm also pretty sure my Kenwood doesn't support screen cast.

The whole mirroring thing just isn't important to me.
I have it, but don't use it.

My Kenwood also supports 2 cameras, but I have little need for a front camera.
I can't see buying a camera, spending a few hours installing it, just to use it once or twice a year.
I don't need it to park, I always back into parking spaces.

Just about everything you've asked about can be found in existing threads if you'd search for it.
Hope you get it worked out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.