Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm finally in the ASP pulley club. Install was a breeze. I figured if i was going to do the pulley might as well replace the coupler since i was experiencing a rattle at idle. The coupler was a pain in the ass. I followed a member diy but the instruction i felt were a bit off and confusing. I'm hoping these steps will help a fellow tundra member.

install time 12 hours
Start off with a cool truck. let the truck sit overnight.

This is the pulley puller i used. I broke the smaller 2'' all you need is the 4'' pulley.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry no pics of the pulley puller in action. And yes it did damage the pulley taking it out.

but here is a pick out of the truck and stuck to the puller

took the 2 bolts holding the radiator shroud reached in to use my wrench.

I followed the stepshttp://www.tundratalk.net/forums/maintenance-repair/114433-supercharger-rattle-idle-here-fix.html

I removed the pulley, Not needed to removed the coupler FYI

Removed the 6 bolts holding the nose of the blower
you will need a wobble, a 12'' extension and on one of these. Also i used my phone camera to look at the tight space on finding the bolts. 6 total was not hard to find.

Remove the bolts off this guy

now that the bolts are out pull and twist the nose till it comes off. The radiator cross arm will be in the way position the nose in a way where you can reach the inside of the blower.

see the prongs luckily my coupler was stuck on the nose so i used a screwdirver to take it out.

some of the tools used

Old Coupler on the right

Now reach in and put the new coupler in. I used some wd40 to lube the prongs the coupler just slipped on the nose section.
push the nose in to the blower twist the pulley shaft till you feel that the holes aligned to the prongs then push in. now time to put the bolts back on. I used loctite on the bolts. also used a flash light and my phone camera as to view where i was sticking the bolts.

Now time to install the new ASP pulley.
this is what i used to install the pulley it worked perfect went to Harbor Freight $15 on sale

then bought one of these at O'reilys. you will need this to hold the pulley as you press it back on

Here it is installed. careful not to press in the pulley to far.

Belt is back on

Hardest part was really doing the coupler and trying to figure out how not to remove the radiator cross bar. Didnt feel like draining the radiator. it was a pain in the ass. I fired up my truck and the supercharger rattle at idle is gone. No belt slip then again i have a fairly new belt that is 3 months old. First thing i notice is the blower whine is louder and at a higher pitch. went out for a test drive and i can tell a big difference at wot. It was all worth it i cant wait to hit the track soon as this vegas summer heat dies out.
I tried to take as many pictures as i could. Hopefully it will help someone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great write-up! Pics definately helped. Where did you order the coupler from? I'm swapping out my pulley next week and figured i might as well take care of the coupler as well.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Hulzazz that was my first step took my truck to the dealer had a health check on the truck. dealer said truck is fine. They also said the rattle is normal. So next step is to call corporate told them about the rattle they told me they will call me in 2 days I even gave them articles about the blower rattle. Corporate also said the rattle is normal but im welcome to take it to another dealer... so I decided to do it myself and avoid the dealer back and forth bs. At least know if something does go wrong with the blower I have dealer logs of my complaint.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder whats my hp and torque gain.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Funny thing about the rattle is TRD now includes a paper they hang in your mirror stating that the rattle (and supercharger whine) is normal and not covered by warranty. Luckily mine doesn't rattle yet but gld to see there is a fix. I did the pulley swap as well and it has a much louder whine than stock. I need new tires because I can't make wot runs from a full stop. I just sit there and burn tires :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wonder whats my hp and torque gain.
You should go ahead and do the TRD cai mod now. There is a guy who sells an easy cheap kit for it. Basically creates a second 3" intake hole in your fender that is connected by a hose. It will allow it to breath much easier without forcing to much air in it and causing cel

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I don't believe that the dealer is authorized to service the Magnuson/TRD blower unit ......so they say it's "normal"

·
Registered
257 Posts
will the dealership install the supercharger with the ASP pulley and the aftermarket coupler from the get go?
Well...it is one of those ymmv deals. 90% of installers will have no clue. The dealer that did my install didn't notice I had swapped the pulley on min (I was kind enough to tell them since my stock one came tweaked). So if you keep your mouth shut and hand it over you should be fine. It will be a kid installing it for you anyway and can assure you the last thing on his mind is checking for aftermarket parts on the least modable supercharger. Funny thing is my car still runs rich with it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Great write up!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So just an update guys driven about 1,000 miles so far no issues. Drove to Beaver, Utah (400 miles round trip) this past weekend straight empty road i let her rip to the needle said 120 mph didn't realize how quickly it got there. No rattle no issues nothing but power! A must mod for any supercharge owner.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
174 Posts
The SC can have some knock noise at idle but anyone that has a worn coupler will REALLY know it! It sounds like rocks rolling around inside the SC and is nothing like any noise from normal SC....its waaaay over the top.

BTW:

THe SC should be serviced every 75-100K miles.

~JH

·
Registered
646 Posts
What is that tool you used to pull the coupler? It almost looked like a drain snake or something? I plan on ordering this and trying to install it. mine doesn't sound too bad but it does have that little rattle to it at idle.

Thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
alright, after reading some info on this, decided to pull the trigger and ordered it today. ASP is out of stock but ordered it from URD. Do I need to get the shorter belt?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts