Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 1983 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I just realized..... i font have leather stuff for both mine and my wife's interior. Suggestions?
The deep plastic cleaner will clean it nicely. For protectant try 303 aerospace protectant. I have not used it on leather but I would imagine it would do a fine job. @Jumbojet any recomendations? You might want to pick up 303 anyway for other interior plastics. It's great stuff and leaves a subtle shine that I really like.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Any of the polishes you mentioned will be fine for a finishing polish. I use sf 4000. A blue pad for the finishing polish is fine.
Looks like SF3500 is replacing SF4000, but there is also an SF3800...I'm just going to go with the SF3500. Can you tell me about how many times I can do my truck with an 8oz bottle of Heavy Cut 400 and an 8oz bottle of SF3500?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Looks like SF3500 is replacing SF4000, but there is also an SF3800...I'm just going to go with the SF3500. Can you tell me about how many times I can do my truck with an 8oz bottle of Heavy Cut 400 and an 8oz bottle of SF3500?
8 Oz will last for a while. You will use more because you are a newbie.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can you tell me about how many times I can do my truck with an 8oz bottle of Heavy Cut 400 and an 8oz bottle of SF3500?
It depends how many defects you have and % correction you want to do. You will need a bit more than 8 oz but probably no more than 32 oz. Hell at least you would more for a future use. I have a black tundra and I finished the truck off with SF3800 until I got a zero defect. It took me about 3 days but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welp..... pulled the trigger on some detailing goods. I am a newbie to this self-detailing but am pumped to get into this and keep the paint on my new TRD PRO and wife's RX 350 in tip top shape!

Ordered a truckload of stuff today, so now its just the pressure to make sure my wife's car looks fantastic when I finish with it so I can justify this expense! haha

I ordered:
(1x) Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher 6" with a 5" backing plate (only 1 is fine, or do I need to get a 2nd plate?)
(2x) Uber 5 pack foam pad 5.5 inch (assorted color pack)
(1x) Adam's Detail Spray
(1x) 1Z einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner
(1x) Nanoskin Glide Autoscrub System Lube
(1x) 6" Nanoskin autoscrub 6" fine grade foam pad for DA polisher (Do i need to get a larger backing plate for this, or will using the 5" plate be OK?)
(1x) Adams Super VRT
(1x) Sonax Gloss Shampoo Concentrate
(1x) Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
(1x) Uber detail boar's hair brush
(1x) Wheel Woolie
(2x) 5 gal bucket
(2x) grit guard bucket inserts
(1x) Menzerna SF 4500 Final finish
(1x) Menzerna SIP 1500
(1x) Menzerna Power Lock Sealant
(2x) Chemical Guys Wool wash mitt
(1x) Uber 10-pack no name MF Towel 16x16

So...... i think I got everything I'm needing for a good detail job, inside and out, yeah? Please critique/comment/suggestions if you see something missing from my order that could be somewhat necessary.

Thanks, dudes for all the info, lots of stuff learned from reading through all these posts from the last couple of years - amazing!
To do the whole truck you will need at least 2 pads each ((2) for compounding/correcting defects and 2 for finishing) for big panels to be efficiency and save you time. IMO the 4" pads work best overall for our trucks with 5" at most. Our panels have many curvatures.
Lake country pads are my preferred pads (orange or green for compounding and black/grey for overall Polishing. Your best bet for sealant is a blue Menzerna Power Lock Sealant could probably go with blue or red for finishing.

You can also get more backing plates for the tighter spaces IE 3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing for the 4" pads and 3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate and use 3" pads for even more tighter spaces.
You need a good LED light to see the true condition of your paint
Iron X

You will be surprised that choosing a good microfiber towel will take you a long way without scratching and marring your polish job. I like Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel for removing the polish or Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel for removing the product when you compound/correcting defects.

Best place to learn about detailing is a detailing forum:D

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
To do the whole truck you will need at least 2 pads each ((2) for compounding/correcting defects and 2 for finishing) for big panels to be efficiency and save you time. IMO the 4" pads work best overall for our trucks with 5" at most. Our panels have many curvatures.
Lake country pads are my preferred pads (orange or green for compounding and black/grey for overall Polishing. Your best bet for sealant is a blue Menzerna Power Lock Sealant could probably go with blue or red for finishing.

You can also get more backing plates for the tighter spaces IE 3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing for the 4" pads and 3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate and use 3" pads for even more tighter spaces.
You need a good LED light to see the true condition of your paint
Iron X

You will be surprised that choosing a good microfiber towel will take you a long way without scratching and marring your polish job. I like Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel for removing the polish or Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel for removing the product when you compound/correcting defects.

Best place to learn about detailing is a detailing forum:D
Do you use this particular Lake Country Pad?
Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Pads 6 Pack

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Wow! Great first order....very impressive. The others have given you great tips and advice. However, they've left out the most important tip....the savings! Based on your list, I assume this is an order from Detailers Domain? If so, use coupon code NEWBIE for 15% off.

An amazing leather cleaner is Einszettes Deep Plastic Cleaner. Follow that with Einszettes Leather Care to seal and protect and leave a supple finish.

Again, great list.....enjoy and please post pics!

Mark

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow! Great first order....very impressive. The others have given you great tips and advice. However, they've left out the most important tip....the savings! Based on your list, I assume this is an order from Detailers Domain? If so, use coupon code NEWBIE for 15% off.

An amazing leather cleaner is Einszettes Deep Plastic Cleaner. Follow that with Einszettes Leather Care to seal and protect and leave a supple finish.

Again, great list.....enjoy and please post pics!

Mark
Nice.... yeah, I got 20% off from first order with "welcome20" code. Thanks for leather advice and other tips. Maybe I will order 1 more set of pads.

Cheers,
Migs

·
Registered
162 Posts
About to order from Autogeek. Any other discount codes? Any changes I should make? Thanks for all the help, guys.

I found a free shipping code and a 15% code and I was able to apply both.
Take a look at detailer's domain or see if autogeek will match their offer of free shipping (over certain purchase amount) and 20% off first order (Welcome20 is code).

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Take a look at detailer's domain or see if autogeek will match their offer of free shipping (over certain purchase amount) and 20% off first order (Welcome20 is code).
I was able to get 15% off and free shipping at Autogeek. Also, their prices seemed quite a bit lower for the items I was getting. For example:

8oz FG400 was $24 at Detailer's Domain and $18 at Autogeek.

8oz SF3500 was $25 at Detailer's Domain and $13 at Autogeek.

16oz Power Lock was $32 at Detailer's Domain and $24 at Autogeek.

16 x 16 Über Microfiber Towel was $6 at Detailer's Domain and 16 x 16 Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel was $5 at Autogeek.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
It pays to shop around. Take a look at Detailed Image. They have great specials, fast inexpensive shipping, and great regular prices.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Autogeek on line is generally cheaper with more choices.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was able to get 15% off and free shipping at Autogeek. Also, their prices seemed quite a bit lower for the items I was getting. For example:

8oz FG400 was $24 at Detailer's Domain and $18 at Autogeek.

8oz SF3500 was $25 at Detailer's Domain and $13 at Autogeek.

16oz Power Lock was $32 at Detailer's Domain and $24 at Autogeek.

16 x 16 Über Microfiber Towel was $6 at Detailer's Domain and 16 x 16 Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel was $5 at Autogeek.
The Uber micro fiber towel tend to leave more lint behind when wiping the truck off as compared to the Supreme. Take my word or experiment for yourself. Also go with the CCS pads it is better than the flats. Add CCS Gray Finishing Foam 4 Inch Pad as well. You have a good amount pad choices but I would go with getting twice as much pads to increase efficiency. In other words eventually your pads will become contaminated with paint and/particles that if you continue to buff without a clean pad you will do just as much damage to your paint vise correction. So if you get more pads you have more time to buff vise clean.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes detailers domain is cheap off you first purchase but after that I tend to go with AGO.

·
Registered
309 Posts
AGO will match prices

·
Registered
309 Posts
@JOEGUAM What is AGO? I will order some CCS pads when I order the polisher. Probably going with the Griot's or Harbor Freight DA polisher. The Porter Cable seems like it might not have the power needed.
Sorry Autogeek OnLine. I have the Harbor Freight, a Rupes LHR 75E HD Mini Random Orbital Polisher and Porter cable. Porter Cable is enough and is better than the Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight works and cost less but for more functionality there are a few mods to make it more friendly. Out of the three posted the Rupes does not make my hands as numb as the other two.

1821 - 1840 of 1983 Posts