Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 1983 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Glass Cleaner Streaks

Howdy,

So I've been using the Sonax Glass Cleaner-- bought 2 bottles which lasted about a year & now I'm out. Past time to get more.

I'm debating on if I should switch or if I'm doing it wrong.

Seems pretty simple, but maybe I'm not using enough or maybe I'm using too much. In either event when I'm done I end up with what I would call silver streaks or a tinsel (like on a Christmas tree) look across my windshield.

I use a micro fiber towel for this & I did use a laundry detergent which had a softner in it (which I didn't think it did), so there might be some contamination there-- however this has been ongoing almost from the start.

Might switch to a different brand...am I doing it wrong or is there a suggestion for a different brand?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I use Sonax as well, and also Einszettes Windsreen Clear. I haven't had any streaking from it. I wash my towels in warm water with perfume free, allergy free detergent. Dry on low heat....no softeners of any kind....ever.

Have you tried using two towels? I use a glass towel to do the initial wipe, then follow up with a thicker all purpose MF to clean it up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks Mark! Put my order in with Detailers Domain..and got some Adams Super VRT. Been wanting to try it for a long time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Help please. My father had the truck yesterday and drove on some fresh line paint. The nanoskin removed all of it from the paint but the wheel wells, inner and outer lip of the flares, the tires and the running boards still have a healthy dose not removed by the nanoskin. What else would you all recomend for the remaining paint?7

Attachments

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Help please. My father had the truck yesterday and drove on some fresh line paint. The nanoskin removed all of it from the paint but the wheel wells, inner and outer lip of the flares, the tires and the running boards still have a healthy dose not removed by the nanoskin. What else would you all recomend for the remaining paint?7
Have you tried a high PSI pressure washer?

you can also file a claim with the city, or whatever entity was responsible for the striping.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
My father tried their pressure hose at the carwash but it didn't do anything. I want to try and fix it before I file a claim. I think I may have to about the tires. That stuff sticks to rubber very well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Id drive up to the city building that handles these claims and drag them outside to look at it. Also go snap a picture of the area he ran over. Then go find the best detailer in your area and get the works. Send the bill to the city.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Most municipalities carry a stripper for that paint. Call the city or ask for the contractor that was hired for the job. One of them should have the chemical.

Found this PDF as well.

http://www.rcmcweb.org/files/REMOVING PAINT FROM CARS.pdf
Thanks Mark. I talked to the local DOT guys and they said the same thing as the PDF. I am going to pickup some petroleum jelly and give it a try. They said if that does not remove it, they will make it right. I will update the thread with the results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A few years back, I bought a bunch of Meguiars products with the intention to detail my cars. Well, that never really happened. However, I recently picked up a DA polisher and would like to start detailing. The products are Meguiars or Meguiars Gold. I'm not at home to check, but I believe there's a paint repair, a paint cleaner, polish, and wax. Red bottles. I also have the clay bar, which I've used several times for my hoods mostly. Are these products ok to use, or are they garbage? At the time, I thought they were good, but not so sure after reading through numberous pages on this thread about other (better) brands. I did pick up some 1Z cleaners for the leather interior and an Uber brush. Can't wait to tackle that mess. I have kids... Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
yes solid on back. It is filling with bugs
I had the same issue over the summer i used an air hose to blow most off then went to work with an old tooth brush

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Okay guys I washed my truck at the car wash an I used the brush now I have swiral marks all over the truck when the sun hits it, I asked a detailer in my city he said a quick buff an wax should do the job is that all it needs
If by buff he means polish then yes that will likely take care of it. Lesson learned ......... touchless wash only. Who knows what was washed off with that brush prior to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Jumbo Jet and Tundra detailers, it has taken me a few days to get through this thread. I had a list of questions and was able to get many answered.

I am in a decision issue with my Amazon cart. I have the Griots Garage 3" mini with hydro tech kit, I am getting this. I also have the Griots 6" and Flex 3401. I need to decide between the two. I know there is an obvious price difference but I like quality toys.

The other question I had is what parts of the truck do I have to use the 3" versus the larger machine?

Thanks in advance for all recommendations.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Hey Jumbo Jet and Tundra detailers, it has taken me a few days to get through this thread. I had a list of questions and was able to get many answered.

I am in a decision issue with my Amazon cart. I have the Griots Garage 3" mini with hydro tech kit, I am getting this. I also have the Griots 6" and Flex 3401. I need to decide between the two. I know there is an obvious price difference but I like quality toys.

The other question I had is what parts of the truck do I have to use the 3" versus the larger machine?

Thanks in advance for all recommendations.
Unless you plan on starting to detail as a side job, I would recommend just getting the Griots 6". The Flex is an amazing machine, I have the 3401 and I love it. It's heavy, but well balanced and feels smooth as it powers through tough imperfections. It's bigger than the Griots, and longer too. It's expensive, yes......but if you plan on doing this for more than a weekend hobby...it's worth it.

The 6" Griots is a great machine as well. I've done some serious correction work with it and most often I find myself grabbing that over my Flex for most jobs. It's much lighter and easier to fit into tighter spots. Unlike the Flex, the Griots will take any standard backing plate, including the Über carpet brush. It's a very powerful machine and will easily correct tough defects. It's a DA, so it's easy to use and nearly impossible to damage the paint. The Flex is a direct drive DA, and it generates some heat, but it's easy to get the hang of as well.

I also have the 3" Griots and I love it. Super powerful for its size and I use it very often for correcting headlights, tail lights and A,B and C pillars. Works great with the Über carpet brush as well. Fantastic little machine.....you'll love it. And it's inexpensive, which is great too.

If you're like me and just like fun gadgets, grab all three. But if you're just looking to be practical and get a great machine to correct your own personal vehicles, get both Griots machines and enjoy the hell out of them.

Mark

1641 - 1660 of 1983 Posts