Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1983 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I've no problem with RainX provided it's removed properly to get rid of the hazing. I got tired of the elbow grease required so now typically just use whatever sealant I'm using on the paint. If someone else is applying the RainX and they do it right, go for it. There's quite a few easier to use products that are just as effective but again, if someone else is doing the work...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Yeah it's just sprayed on in the wash and rinsed off. I typically wipe down the truck with an uber MF after because the touchless wash doesn't actually get all the dirt off. I plan on getting a wash mitt that was recommended on this thread so I can do it by hand occasionally to remove that film that the wash just doesn't get.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Now I just use whatever sealant I'm using on the paint and put it on all the glass. But to remove RainX, I used to apply it with a paper towel in an up and down direction, then when I removed it I would lightly mist water out of a spray bottle onto the windshield, then wipe it down with a dry paper towel, then buff clean with a MF glass cloth. That technique would leave the glass nice and clear with no ghosting or streaking that's typical with RainX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made my order back in April I think but I finally managed to get it all unboxed (I had it sent to my parent's house while I was in school)
Tomorrow I plan on spending some quality time with my truck and a garage project I have going on that you guys may be interested in. I will post more about both tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I made my order back in April I think but I finally managed to get it all unboxed (I had it sent to my parent's house while I was in school)
Tomorrow I plan on spending some quality time with my truck and a garage project I have going on that you guys may be interested in. I will post more about both tomorrow!

Thats a great looking stack of products! The Menzerna line of polishes are hands down my favorite with the tried and true Meguairs M line a close second. Sonax wheel cleaner is a great choice and of course Adams SVRT can't be beat!

Take before and after pics and be sure to post! :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Yeah I was gonna dump the rain x because I just detailed the truck(nanoskin, SF4000, and PL) and I got some Adams tire stuff I wanna start using. I figured I'd go back to the rain x and tire shine from the wash in the winter when it's just easier.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Yeah I was gonna dump the rain x because I just detailed the truck(nanoskin, SF4000, and PL) and I got some Adams tire stuff I wanna start using. I figured I'd go back to the rain x and tire shine from the wash in the winter when it's just easier.
If you do a couple coats of PL followed by colonite it should last the winter. Not sure if it would have lasted this past winter though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Problem I have had is even with 2 coats of PL, the touchless car wash leaves a film of dirt on my paint(super white) which will build up over time. I try to wipe it down after each wash to eliminate it, but this is almost impossible in the winter because it freezes quickly. By the time spring is here, I have to go over the entire truck with clay/nano and SF 4000 to get that film off. I've never heard of colonize so I'll research it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Alright, now I gotta try Super Sealant. Thanks
Try it you'll be happy you did. RyteSyde put me onto Optima sealants which work really well but didn't last as long as the Adams.

This pic was taken a month ago, 6 months after 2 coats of Adams Super Sealant and a midwest winter. (disclaimer: I park in a garage at night but my truck sits outside all day long). The truck is now overdue for another quick pass with a finishing polish and 2 fresh coats of sealant but for a sealant to still bead after 6 months in winter is nonetheless impressive.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Try it you'll be happy you did. RyteSyde put me onto Optima sealants which work really well but didn't last as long as the Adams.

This pic was taken a month ago, 6 months after 2 coats of Adams Super Sealant and a midwest winter. (disclaimer: I park in a garage at night but my truck sits outside all day long). The truck is now overdue for another quick pass with a finishing polish and 2 fresh coats of sealant but for a sealant to still bead after 6 months in

Impressive. Next time I need Sealent it will be on the list to consider for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Yep Ima have to call up Toscano and get some SS from him and give it a whirl. I still wish another guy from here would fork out the $60 for a round of HD Nitro Seal to hear what they think of it. I didn't do longevity testing but if it were cheaper and only lasted a couple months I would use it non-stop. I'm still waiting for the day a product is released that is as hydroscopic as Never Wet, brilliant as Nitro Seal, and as long lasting as herpes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First of all thanks for the great thread, I have been reading through most of it for a few days now and I am ready to pull the trigger on a DA polisher and all the goodies with it. I'm needing some help putting a list together though. I don't have a lot of experience with detailing, only the occasional clay and wax. I have a new 2014 super white Tundra and my wife has a new 2014 pearl white Altima so these are the vehicles I will be working on mostly as I have read color makes a different on the products to use. I know I am going with the Griots 6" (probably one of the kits from retailers domain) and the nanoskin autoscrub but need help on the rest. The paint on both vehicles is in new condition of course so I just want to keep it that way. So If y'all could throw me a list together I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen multiple products mentioned in this thread but too many for me to narrow it down to what I really need. I don't mind a long process or a lot of steps just want it done right. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
First of all thanks for the great thread, I have been reading through most of it for a few days now and I am ready to pull the trigger on a DA polisher and all the goodies with it. I'm needing some help putting a list together though. I don't have a lot of experience with detailing, only the occasional clay and wax. I have a new 2014 super white Tundra and my wife has a new 2014 pearl white Altima so these are the vehicles I will be working on mostly as I have read color makes a different on the products to use. I know I am going with the Griots 6" (probably one of the kits from retailers domain) and the nanoskin autoscrub but need help on the rest. The paint on both vehicles is in new condition of course so I just want to keep it that way. So If y'all could throw me a list together I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen multiple products mentioned in this thread but too many for me to narrow it down to what I really need. I don't mind a long process or a lot of steps just want it done right. Thanks again!!
Go with the kit from DD with t h e Menzerna FG 400 SI 4000 and Powerlock. They put it on special with 15% off with code newbie for around 240.00 or so. That with the nanoskin will handle paint correction and protection.

From trim and tires you can't go wrong with Adams Super VRT. And Adams in and out spray - in and out for the hard to reach trim vrt for everything else.

For general washing stick with a pH balanced soap. You don't want to strip the sealant that you just worked so hard to put on. I like Chemical guys Super Suds II. Suds up nice, smells great, and leaves a great shine. Meguiars Gold class also works well and is found in most auto stores. Pick up a good microfiber or soft wool wash mit.

You will also need a lot if microfiber towels. I have great luck with Chemical Guys Chemical Guys (MIC_506_03) 16" x 16" Professional Grade Premium Silk Banded Microfiber Towel. Get 12 for about 20 bucks on Amazon with free shipping.

That should get you going. Thanks for letting me spend your money. There are less expensive products. If you want to spend less, just holler.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks firerescue, I was looking at that kit on DD but wasn't sure about the menzerna products as I have read that Jumbo Jet has suggested other products for light colored vehicles. Do the pads do multiple vehicles or one and done?

1441 - 1460 of 1983 Posts