Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1983 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Those products aren't bad for everyday upkeep, but I don't think you're going to get the results you are looking at without a little extra work and some additional products specifically made for that need. As you already know, this thread has a wealth of information in it to get you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Unfortunately, the clear coat on the front bumper has been etched by the love bugs. Those little suckers do so much damage down here. What's so frustrating is that kind of damage can occur in just a few days if left uncleaned. Down here, you have to clean them off daily.

As for your products, they'll do in a pinch, but you'll need some better polishes to get the results you're looking for. The Gold Class shampoo is a very good shampoo, nothing wrong with that at all. Scratch-X is ok, but you'll need a better compound to correct. Plast-X is good if you have a DA.

If you're a fan of Meguiars, pick up a bottle of M105 cutting compound and M205 finishing polish. M105 will cut through most problems you come across, but works best with a DA. M205 will finish it down and clean up the ghosting from 105. 105 is a dust bowl, but it works great. I usually have to do a second wash after correcting with 105, but it does perform very well.

Your Gold Class carnuba is a decent wax, but again, if you're sticking with Meguiars, try out some #26 High Tech Yellow wax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Appreciate the responses! Would definitely take Jumbo Jet up on the offer, especially since you nominated, RS :D.

As for the products, i figured as much. I will probably make use of the clay bar, washing mit, and the Gold Class Shampoo, right? And fill in the rest of the blanks.

Yeah, i figured the bumper was done. :(. I'm not committed to Meguiars. To be honest, i was thinking of using the products discussed on this thread (Menzerna and Einzette). And i have the Collinite, already. BUT, first and foremost i've got to order the DA, back plate, and pads. Unfortunately, starter took a dump on me this morning, so I may be two weeks out before purchase..

Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Howdy,

... Allow PowerLock to flash for about 30 minutes, then buff off. It will remove extremely easy, so removal will be quick.
I did not know this...I buffed off almost right away & am happy with the results, but next time I will not.

On another note, I've been using my shopvac to do the boot (I just like calling it that) & interior, however I can't get into the nooks & crannies...any suggestions for a good little vacuum? I have a power outlet in the vehicle, but don't know if a 12v has enough juice...it should as I do it at least once per week & after every road trip.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I don't think I'd use a M.E. on the mouse fur headliner. I'd use a credit card or plastic scraper and gently remove as much as you can by hand without bothering the pile as much as possible and without pushing the crayon deeper into the liner. Then I'd use an APC, (griots, meguiars are quickly available) lightly sprayed on a colorfast towel, not sprayed directly on the headliner. Gently wipe it in one direction and see if it comes off. If you need a more aggressive solvent, use lacquer thinner, same technique. Follow up with APC, same technique. Don't get the liner overly wet or you will leave displacement rings if it's already a bit dirty. It may clean it too well and you'll end up cleaning the whole thing :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
FYI...Auto geek has a 30% off sale menzerna products and free shippingif order is over $95. In the coupon code box put in MEN30. I was able to order the the 32oz product at almost the 16 oz price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going for it. Getting the deal of the day at DD and adding a couple of goodies.
Before pulling the trigger, any thing i left out or that you would recommend different?
(I'm getting grit guard and maybe waffle weave towel on Amazon). I have a Meguiar's microfiber mitt, gold class wash, and clay bar from my previous posting.

-Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher (Today's deal) - One thing here, I've got 2-orange, 2-green, 1-black, should i re-balance for one more black(2 total) and only 1 of the other?

-Surbuf MicroFingers R Series 5.5 inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack - Don't know how bad my paint is, but i saw Jumbo Jet mention going back with MF pad w/FG400 if Uber pad is not enough. Did i get that right?

-Menzerna (FG400, SI1500, SF4000, PL)
-Uber No Name Uber Super Plush MF (16x16)
-Spoke Back Woolie
-1Z einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner
-Adam's Super VRT & APC
-Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner

Appreciate any insights, again!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think I'd use a M.E. on the mouse fur headliner. I'd use a credit card or plastic scraper and gently remove as much as you can by hand without bothering the pile as much as possible and without pushing the crayon deeper into the liner. Then I'd use an APC, (griots, meguiars are quickly available) lightly sprayed on a colorfast towel, not sprayed directly on the headliner. Gently wipe it in one direction and see if it comes off. If you need a more aggressive solvent, use lacquer thinner, same technique. Follow up with APC, same technique. Don't get the liner overly wet or you will leave displacement rings if it's already a bit dirty. It may clean it too well and you'll end up cleaning the whole thing :D

This is in my Expedition not the Tunda thankfully so If I do more damage trying to clean it I am not that pressed. I am going to try and magic eraser first and see what happens.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,322 Posts
She is my quiet one. I yelled at her about this and she cried for 30 minutes and apologized for a week about it. She just did not think about what she was doing. We have a strict paper only policy now with her. Unless it is paper you cannot draw on it. I had to repaint the hallway twice before implementing this unfortunately.
I have a dumbass relative who thought it would be a good idea to line their hallway walls with butcher paper. Now they think they can draw on any wall!

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I'm going for it. Getting the deal of the day at DD and adding a couple of goodies.
Before pulling the trigger, any thing i left out or that you would recommend different?
(I'm getting grit guard and maybe waffle weave towel on Amazon). I have a Meguiar's microfiber mitt, gold class wash, and clay bar from my previous posting.

-Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher (Today's deal) - One thing here, I've got 2-orange, 2-green, 1-black, should i re-balance for one more black(2 total) and only 1 of the other?

-Surbuf MicroFingers R Series 5.5 inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack - Don't know how bad my paint is, but i saw Jumbo Jet mention going back with MF pad w/FG400 if Uber pad is not enough. Did i get that right?

-Menzerna (FG400, SI1500, SF4000, PL)
-Uber No Name Uber Super Plush MF (16x16)
-Spoke Back Woolie
-1Z einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner
-Adam's Super VRT & APC
-Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner

Appreciate any insights, again!

Really good order! Youre fine with two orange, two green and one black. Clean the pads well after youre finished with them for the day and they'll last you a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Howdy,

I did not know this...I buffed off almost right away & am happy with the results, but next time I will not.

On another note, I've been using my shopvac to do the boot (I just like calling it that) & interior, however I can't get into the nooks & crannies...any suggestions for a good little vacuum? I have a power outlet in the vehicle, but don't know if a 12v has enough juice...it should as I do it at least once per week & after every road trip.

Thanks!
Lowes has a kit for just that in their Shop Vac isle. It has a bunch of little attachments for reaching in tight spots. Fits right over the Shop Vac hose.

Sally's Beauty Supply has really good make-up brushes for dusting in those areas as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just a couple of questions.

I've never done anything other than wash and wax my vehicles. I never new it could be this complicated. My 08 tundra may have been waxed twice since new and my wife's 02 Sequoia maybe twice since I bought it in 07.

So I went and bought a PC with 5.5 and 6.5 pads. Also picked up Monserma FG 400, SI 1500, SF 4500 and PL. I was planning on using the SI 1500 first on my Tundra followed with SF 4500 and PL. The Sequoia has the enamel paint without the clear coat, I think. So since its in worse shape than the Tundra I thought I use the FG 400 instead of the SI 1500.

I washed the Tundra and clayed it last weekend so I guess I'm ready to start this process after another wash.

Does all this sound right?

Also, I cleaned the yellow haze from the headlights of the Sequoia with one of those kits from the parts stores but its come back. Can I use any of these products mentioned above with the PC to remove the haze?

Thanks for the help! Just don't want to screw anything up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

641 - 660 of 1983 Posts