Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Are tow mirrors needed.

12K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  roy826 
So I currently have the big tow mirrors. They have some brush scratches and and had a run in with another set of big tow mirrors coming for the opposite direction. I am thinking about replacing them with standard mirrors.

I do frequently tow my travel trailer and the mirrors work good.

Anyone tow a travel trailer with the regular mirrors. Any issues? Do you wish you had the big tow?
Just curious, when you had the run in with the other towing mirrors were you towing with your mirrors extended? Was the other guy as well?

My enclosed car trailer is 8.5 feet wide. I personally found that the standard (non Towing) Tundra mirrors were woefully inadequate when I was towing. When towing over the years I have found myself in countless situations where towing mirrors made all the difference when it came to preventing accidents. There are simply too many other idiots and obstacles on the road that one needs to defend against.

Boy I wish I had a $1 for every tow vehicle I have seen over the years who was towing "blind" with mirrors that did not extend out far enough. I could have easily paid for my OEM Toyota Towing mirrors for my current Tundra and my next one as well.

No my mirrors were not extended, neither was the guy who hit me. He was driving a utility van, on the inside lane of a corner, took it to fast and came into my lane, and smack! His mirror flew up into orcas all over the road, i just have some scratches on mine. I turned around to catch him but he took of. Was not worth my safety or others to catch him. Just glad he didn't side swipe me. I was bracing for it.
Glad to hear your tow mirror just got scratched. Looks like you literally ran into one of the idiots on the road I posted about earlier.

I do agree with toy4x4boy that the OEM tow mirrors give a MUCH BETTER field of view compared to the CIPA clip on mirrors I have tried. That is a BIG PLUS when it comes to dealing with some of the idiots that we share the roads with these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.