Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have the big tow mirrors. They have some brush scratches and and had a run in with another set of big tow mirrors coming for the opposite direction. I am thinking about replacing them with standard mirrors.

I do frequently tow my travel trailer and the mirrors work good.

Anyone tow a travel trailer with the regular mirrors. Any issues? Do you wish you had the big tow?

· Registered
1,436 Posts
I came from a set of regular mirrors after about 75k miles and I don't think the tow mirrors are that much larger. Certainly not worth paying for to get the regular mirrors.

Can't comment much on the towing. I did just fine with my paddle mirrors for the smaller stuff, if and when, I need to tow.

· Registered
444 Posts
I have the standard mirrors and have towed a camper and my old v-nose single axle. I never had any problems with them, but I would rather have the tow mirrors. The standards give you a good field of view, but the tows are much better, imo.

· Registered
444 Posts
If you decide you wanna go to the standards, let me know. I could be up for a swap.

· Registered
1,443 Posts
I wish my right side tow mirror had about 1/2" more extension, even at full extension it just doesn't quite clear the awning posts on my trailer. I definitly would have had to get extensions if I had the city mirrors, I can't see squat if i don't pull them out.

· Registered
490 Posts
I was gonna get the tow mirrors but bought the cipa slide on extensions. After hooking up to my toy hauler for the first time I was very surprised at how well I could see down the side of it without the slide on mirrors. After adding cipa slide on I can see behind my hauler and they do not shake at highway speeds. And the cipas were only $65 compared to $375. I think you will be fine and someone would probably be more than happy to swap with you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
755 Posts
So I currently have the big tow mirrors. They have some brush scratches and and had a run in with another set of big tow mirrors coming for the opposite direction. I am thinking about replacing them with standard mirrors.

I do frequently tow my travel trailer and the mirrors work good.

Anyone tow a travel trailer with the regular mirrors. Any issues? Do you wish you had the big tow?
Just curious, when you had the run in with the other towing mirrors were you towing with your mirrors extended? Was the other guy as well?

My enclosed car trailer is 8.5 feet wide. I personally found that the standard (non Towing) Tundra mirrors were woefully inadequate when I was towing. When towing over the years I have found myself in countless situations where towing mirrors made all the difference when it came to preventing accidents. There are simply too many other idiots and obstacles on the road that one needs to defend against.

Boy I wish I had a $1 for every tow vehicle I have seen over the years who was towing "blind" with mirrors that did not extend out far enough. I could have easily paid for my OEM Toyota Towing mirrors for my current Tundra and my next one as well.

· Registered
380 Posts
If your trailer is under 7.5' wide you'll be fine with the standard mirrors, anything over you need some sort of extensions. It is required by law that you are able to see the rear corners of your trailer with mirrors, if you get pulled over you can be fined.

My old trailer was 7.5' and vis was great with the standard mirrors, current trailer is 8' and I can't see past the front corners. I have the CIPA slide ons and they work ok but I would kill for the oem tow mirrors. They're on my to do list but $400 is hard to swallow and they are kind of ugly.

Anybody use the aftermarket ones they sell on ebay?

· Registered
375 Posts
I tow a 16x8 enclosed trailer with standard mirrors and don't see a need to have anything larger or that would extend any further, I see the rear corners of the trailer just fine as they are adjustable.
I used to have a HD truck with towing mirrors and the difference was not abysmal so I really don't see the need for extended mirrors at least not with the size trailer I pull.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious, when you had the run in with the other towing mirrors were you towing with your mirrors extended? Was the other guy as well?.
No my mirrors were not extended, neither was the guy who hit me. He was driving a utility van, on the inside lane of a corner, took it to fast and came into my lane, and smack! His mirror flew up into orcas all over the road, i just have some scratches on mine. I turned around to catch him but he took of. Was not worth my safety or others to catch him. Just glad he didn't side swipe me. I was bracing for it.

· Registered
231 Posts
I was gonna get the tow mirrors but bought the cipa slide on extensions. After hooking up to my toy hauler for the first time I was very surprised at how well I could see down the side of it without the slide on mirrors. After adding cipa slide on I can see behind my hauler and they do not shake at highway speeds. And the cipas were only $65 compared to $375. I think you will be fine and someone would probably be more than happy to swap with you.

I too use the CIPAS with my Crew max and trailer, they work great. NO shaking on the highway and can easily see behined my camper.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I've had the sport mirrors, the CIPA, and now the OEM tows. I like the OEM tows the best as they give great field of view when towing and they just look bad ass. The CIPA's were OK but I got tired of taking them on and off and the mirror on them is rather small. Sport mirrors worked fine for towing as long as I wasn't on the highway or in a situation where I needed to change lanes.

Reactions: JRSturgeon

· Registered
755 Posts
No my mirrors were not extended, neither was the guy who hit me. He was driving a utility van, on the inside lane of a corner, took it to fast and came into my lane, and smack! His mirror flew up into orcas all over the road, i just have some scratches on mine. I turned around to catch him but he took of. Was not worth my safety or others to catch him. Just glad he didn't side swipe me. I was bracing for it.
Glad to hear your tow mirror just got scratched. Looks like you literally ran into one of the idiots on the road I posted about earlier.

I do agree with toy4x4boy that the OEM tow mirrors give a MUCH BETTER field of view compared to the CIPA clip on mirrors I have tried. That is a BIG PLUS when it comes to dealing with some of the idiots that we share the roads with these days.

· Registered
478 Posts
Cipa slide on mirrors not a problem they do the job I need them to do. To park in my house garage I can't use the oem tow mirrors as I'd eventually rip the left one off backing out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.