Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cable lock through a cleat in the truck bed, unfortunately the key has been lost. I want to remove the cleat to take out the cable and kayak but cannot access the nut on the back side. Has anyone ever removed and reattached a cleat. I'm concerned about losing the nut in an area that cannot be accessed or it not being removable at all. Any help would be great, otherwise I'll be driving around with a kayak
Handle Door Fixture Vehicle door Wood
for the foreseeable future.
Handle Door Fixture Vehicle door Wood

· Registered
1,026 Posts
The nut should be welded or attached to the bedside itself. I believe you might have access to the area if you remove the tail light (two screws when you put the tailgate down, then pull the light straight back). The bed and those bolts don't look beat up or corroded, so you should have a good chance of getting the bolts out without issue.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nut should be welded or attached to the bedside itself. I believe you might have access to the area if you remove the tail light (two screws when you put the tailgate down, then pull the light straight back). The bed and those bolts don't look beat up or corroded, so you should have a good chance of getting the bolts out without issue.
This was the one forward in the bed but yeah it was super easy to remove. All you need is a T40 torx bit and about 60 seconds and it comes off with no effort at all. Same with the reattachment. As you said the nut is fixed in position. The fact that it is not included in the repair manual had me worried.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

· Registered
2022 Tundra Limited TRD
54 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts