Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a journey to develop an overland style truck geared more toward day trips I was able to pick up a used topper for just $600. The only problem is the color, my truck is white, and the topper is blue, and other than a few scuffs on the front corners where the seller was dragging the topper on the ground it is in pristine condition. So, I took the topper off and went to work on matching the color to the vehicle. The topper is the overland edition so there is not a huge area to paint and since I was going to be adding a rack to the topper in future I was going to cover the roof of the topper with bed liner material.
The cost of paint and supplied for the color match was just $42.14, using Dupli-color color matched, with clear coat, the bed liner material for the top of it was $26.97, bringing the total for this little project thus far to a mere $669.11 for a topper that was made in Feb of 2017. I consider this project as helping to keep from overburdening the land fills by giving a large object a new purpose for many years in the future, the seller said if he couldn't get someone to buy it he was going to take it to the dump. That being the case I couldn't get him to go below $600, but it was on offer for $900, so I think I still received an outstanding deal.
Room Technology Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Hood Auto part
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood
Electronics Technology Room Automotive exterior Machine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
looks good , I always ran a Topper till this 2014. I had a good deal on a Blue topper as well. It was the top of the line LEER with all the bells and whistles for like 300$ with a new Bedrug. I wish I had a garage to paint it. I ended up selling it for $100 more than I paid for it.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
They are never the right color. I got a grey one used for my blue truck.

No they NEVER are. I think the guy who bought my blue LEER had the same color. He made out like a bandit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got very luck. I have a 2013 silver 4x4 double cab long bed. I went to Sierra Tops in Sparks NV. He had 3 to fit my truck. The one I selected matched my color but was an aluminum. $600.00 installed. I have not regretted the decision so far. If you are in the Reno area check them out. I will post photos later on as soon as I can find one. I plan on spraying the top with a truck bed liner when the paint goes bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good , I always ran a Topper till this 2014. I had a good deal on a Blue topper as well. It was the top of the line LEER with all the bells and whistles for like 300$ with a new Bedrug. I wish I had a garage to paint it. I ended up selling it for $100 more than I paid for it.
Not bad if you were able to use the topper and make a few bucks when you sold it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hope this is not a
I got very luck. I have a 2013 silver 4x4 double cab long bed. I went to Sierra Tops in Sparks NV. He had 3 to fit my truck. The one I selected matched my color but was an aluminum. $600.00 installed. I have not regretted the decision so far. If you are in the Reno area check them out. I will post photos later on as soon as I can find one. I plan on spraying the top with a truck bed liner when the paint goes bad.
I meant to add that I wish I had your talent. Your cap looks better that what I had envisioned. I was going to just do the top of the cap and maybe the cab itself. I am far too short to reach that high and maintain the tops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hope this is not a

I meant to add that I wish I had your talent. Your cap looks better that what I had envisioned. I was going to just do the top of the cap and maybe the cab itself. I am far too short to reach that high and maintain the tops.
I cheat, I use a ladder and the wash pole for my RV to keep the tops of my vehicles clean. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts