Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a ton of threads covering this subject; almost too many to look through all of them.
I am contemplating having front and rear lockers installed on my 2012 TRD Crewmax. I’m not trying to build a rock crawler or some monster truck. I’m just tired of spinning tires while I’m out hunting and or exploring.
I have some questions as I I have never ventured into this type of modification. How do the lockers work with the auto lsd and traction control? Are they worth the investment?
Any advise or a link to a thread is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I know there are a ton of threads covering this subject; almost too many to look through all of them.
I am contemplating having front and rear lockers installed on my 2012 TRD Crewmax. I’m not trying to build a rock crawler or some monster truck. I’m just tired of spinning tires while I’m out hunting and or exploring.
I have some questions as I I have never ventured into this type of modification. How do the lockers work with the auto lsd and traction control? Are they worth the investment?
Any advise or a link to a thread is appreciated!
I installed the ARB rear locker in my 2014 and it performs way above expectations. It doesn’t affect the crappy auto lsd. I turn everything off anyway. The auto lsd barely works in the 1200-2500 rpms range anyway. With the instant rear LOCK, my tundra turns into a beast! Used one season in Colorado snow.. mostly chained up too. It’s huge!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was worried about the same issues. I did research and found no specific answers I was looking for. I called and talked with a distributor for ARB and with no specific details I was assured it worked. So I thought what the hell, ARB would not make lockers for the Tundra if it did not work.
I ordered front and rear Questioning if I needed the front. I also ordered the single compressor.So I have on board air available. It is a big job to replace both and I recommend finding someone who has installed ARBs before. The addition of the air line in the differential is not standard fair. I was able to work with my shop owner and see all the issues. The rear end is bigger and heavier than a Dana 60 (9.5 ring gear) Dana 70 (10.5 ring gear with locker installed in a Dana 60 housing). My mechanic who has Dana 70 in his rock crawler states the Tundra rear end is a much heavier unit.
Turn the over intrusive nanny’s off and your question is answered. Press the traction control button for 1 second Auto limited slip indicators light comes on. Let go press again until the skid control light comes on. Let go then press and hold until a third light comes on. Now all the nannies are off. Yes, a locking rear is needed and should at least be an option from the factory. The front is a nice option. I have used mine breaking through spring time snow banks out exploring. On board air is handy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts