Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my truck was in a shop for installation of 275/75/18 K02's, I was told that one or more tires would require more than 10 oz of lead weights to be balanced and bag weights/balancing beads should be used. I have never heard balancing beads until that point and I was very skeptical and uncomfortable about putting bunch of beads inside my tires but I had no choice since that was the only option that was given to me. Then they also said that these large off-road tires are often manufactured unevenly and require using this type of balancing method. I got about 500 miles on my tires since the installation and I feel vibration at between 55 and 65 mph. It's pretty annoying when your steering wheel wiggles when you are cruising down the highway. I haven't noticed any vibration whatsoever when I was running Michelin LTX stock tires. Any of you guys running KO2's have balancing and vibrating issues such as mine? What are your thoughts on balancing beads?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have an answer to your question, but i do have a suggestion about double posting.
It doesnt help get a faster response.... should probably refrain from it.
I'm fairly new with this forum(any forum for that matter) and not very familiar with rules. I apologize if I did anything against the forum rules. I posted this first in TRD Pro section first because all TRD Pro's come with offroad tires and was hoping to find someone who had same issues as mine but there aren't that many members in TRD Pro section. I posted it again in general discussion section since there are whole lot more members here and a lot of them are running offroad tires.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since I run 35's, I have to use bags to balance, but I would make sure that the tire techs took the old weights off. I ran into this problem when I first got my tires. I was running 285/70s and it was balanced with lead weights, but when I got my new tires they didn't take the old weights off. So my tires couldn't properly balance themselves because of the extra weights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I run 35's, I have to use bags to balance, but I would make sure that the tire techs took the old weights off. I ran into this problem when I first got my tires. I was running 285/70s and it was balanced with lead weights, but when I got my new tires they didn't take the old weights off. So my tires couldn't properly balance themselves because of the extra weights.
That's a good point. I will check on that first thing in the morning.
Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's a good point. I will check on that first thing in the morning.
Thanks.
No problem, and make sure to look good for those sticky weights, I was working in North Dakota at the time, and boy do they love to mix lead with sticky weights up North.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I use balancing beads and the truck rides very smooth (with Trail Grappler) especially at higher speeds. If you have vibration between 55 to 65, there's something else going on (alignment issue, perhaps?). I went with balancing beads because it seems to be a better option than putting on a lot of weights (those weights may fall off).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use balancing beads and the truck rides very smooth (with Trail Grappler) especially at higher speeds. If you have vibration between 55 to 65, there's something else going on (alignment issue, perhaps?). I went with balancing beads because it seems to be a better option than putting on a lot of weights (those weights may fall off).
My truck is new and only has 900 miles on it. I had no such issues while I was running stock tires. I replaced them with KO2's at 350 miles and I haven't done anything to throw off alignment. Could it be a defect on tires?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd say he needs to remount the tire that required 10oz to balance it. That's not a large tire to begin with, and it shouldn't be that far off. The beads themselves arent a problem, I think that tire needs to be redone.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
My truck is new and only has 900 miles on it. I had no such issues while I was running stock tires. I replaced them with KO2's at 350 miles and I haven't done anything to throw off alignment. Could it be a defect on tires?
Ruling out other possibilities, it does seem like tire defect might be an issue (at least one option to explore).

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I would have to agree with @youngandfree, the tire needs to be remounted or something. I could understand a 40" mud terrain tire on a bead lock wheel.

BFG tires are hard to balance anyway. Very heavy tires.

Here is one of my good buddies TJ with 40/14.50/17 BFG KO2 and Walker Evans BL. We would drive this out 2 hours to a trail and then back before he purchased his Super Duty. Never had a balancing issue with just doing static balancing. He even drove that damn thing from Colorado Springs to Moab, UT (7+hours). The Jeep is actually pretty smooth on the freeway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like some others have said- I have balanced much larger tires with standard weights. I suggest you take it back and have them rebalanced by a more competent tech. Make sure to ask if their machine measures road force- it let's you match the wheels high/low spots with the tire to minimize the amount of weight needed. My 295/70R18's all balanced out with less than 3oz of sticky weights per wheel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When my truck was in a shop for installation of 275/75/18 K02's, I was told that one or more tires would require more than 10 oz of lead weights to be balanced and bag weights/balancing beads should be used. I have never heard balancing beads until that point and I was very skeptical and uncomfortable about putting bunch of beads inside my tires but I had no choice since that was the only option that was given to me. Then they also said that these large off-road tires are often manufactured unevenly and require using this type of balancing method. I got about 500 miles on my tires since the installation and I feel vibration at between 55 and 65 mph. It's pretty annoying when your steering wheel wiggles when you are cruising down the highway. I haven't noticed any vibration whatsoever when I was running Michelin LTX stock tires. Any of you guys running KO2's have balancing and vibrating issues such as mine? What are your thoughts on balancing beads?
Are you using factory wheels?

Are the wheels your using hubcentric?

If you are using non-hubcentric wheels on a Toyota truck you will be chasing balancing issues forever.

Toyota trucks need hub centric wheels to drive similar to stock. Lug centric will not provide this on a late model Toyota truck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts