Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new Pro and I can not stand how the tires looks compare to the size of the truck. I see everyone say they run 295/70/18 on the older Pros. But has anyone upgraded with this new FOX suspension set up? I went to discount tire and told him I wanted to run that size but he kept insisting that I would for sure rub. So he was trying to get me into 285/65. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
So I just got my new Pro and I can not stand how the tires looks compare to the size of the truck. I see everyone say they run 295/70/18 on the older Pros. But has anyone upgraded with this new FOX suspension set up? I went to discount tire and told him I wanted to run that size but he kept insisting that I would for sure rub. So he was trying to get me into 285/65. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The issue is not really the increased higheth of the PRO but suspension components, flaps and etc. I believe a 295/70 would rub without trimming. We're only talking small fractions of difference here. A 295/60 maybe fit but I'm no expert.

Nice truck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great looking PRO! Yes,those tires look freakishly small.FWIW,I think I could have gotten away with 285/65/20 on my 2 inch level Platinum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even my wife's first comment was "You need new tires" when she saw the first picture of my new TRD Pro.

I went with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70. No rubbing, no mods, even kept the small front mud flap.
Those are the tires I am looking to get. is your truck a 2019? looks nice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's 2019. Thanks!
So would 295/70 have been too big? why did you go with 285s.
I see that everyone with the older Pros run 295s and removing that front flap
The guy at discount tire told me 295/70 would rub for sure. but i think he was going with what was recommended by factory for going up in size which was 285s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
285 is pretty tight but 295 would likely fit.

I went with 285s for 2 reasons really:

1. The 285s are almost 10lbs per tire lighter than the 295s

2. Definitely would have needed to remove the front flaps (not a big deal); but I had also seen some mixed reports from other owners on whether further modifications would be required to fit 295s or not (most said no, but others indicated differently).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same truck, got it about a month ago and immediately saw the same issue with the tires. I appreciate the info, been looking everywhere. Question is, however, where did you find the trail grapplers in 285/70? I work at an NTB and can't find that tire in that size. Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I have a 2016 Tundra TRD off road package and I currently have Michelin 275/65 18 and when these wear out I am going with the Nitto Trail Grappler Gen 2 which are 285/60 18. I have no lift at this time but plan on putting in a 2.5 lift kit in it. I tow a camper so I have to keep it the same front and back.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Just baught a white TRD pro. I am adding a leer topper. Rino rack on the cab and tires and wheels. I ordered 18" FX pro wheels from FN wheels to give it a nice stance but I can't decide on tires. I'm either going toyo at2 extreme 285/65/18 or toyo rt 275/70r18. I cannot decide between the 285/65 or the 275/70. Does anyone have any opinions. Ones tall and ones wide. Will the 285's look to small?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same truck, got it about a month ago and immediately saw the same issue with the tires. I appreciate the info, been looking everywhere. Question is, however, where did you find the trail grapplers in 285/70? I work at an NTB and can't find that tire in that size. Thanks for any info you can give.
I actually have the Ridge Grappler, so not much help with the Trail Grapplers. The Ridge Grapplers see to be easy to find online, but I was able to get them at my local tire shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, I meant ridge grappler. The online deal at NTB wasn't showing them and I was checking after we closed. Called the manager this morning and they should be here tomorrow. I'll post pics but I can't imagine they'll look much different than yours. I really appreciate you posting your experience, I've been kicking this around for a month, once you posted the info and picture I had to do it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BlkPro2019 could not have been more correct. Just finished mounting the 285/70 ridge grapplers, it's tight but they fit with zero mods. After mounting and turning to full lock I have no doubt 295 will require front flap removal. These 285s may hurt something if you bottom out at full lock, but that's probably a driver error issue if you're bottoming out with the wheel fully cranked. Thanks again for being the guinea pig, you nailed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even my wife's first comment was "You need new tires" when she saw the first picture of my new TRD Pro.

I went with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70. No rubbing, no mods, even kept the small front mud flap.
Your truck looks awesome. Did you need to recalibrate the speedo? If so, how did you do it? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2017 Pro. I used to have a 2011 Rock Warrior & I ran 285/75/17 on stock wheels. I would like to run that same size in an 18" if I could. Would that size fit with no modifications on stock Pro wheels? I see from here that the 285/70's run with no modifications.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your truck looks awesome. Did you need to recalibrate the speedo? If so, how did you do it? Thanks!
I didn't bother with recalibrating. I did the math and figure it's reading about 3-5mph slower than actual speed at 70 mph on the speedo. The slower you're going the lower the margin of error is and I'm rarely going more than 5 over anyway. Didn't seem worth the hassle/cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve seen Duratracs at 275 70R18 installed by dealerships on 2019 TRD Pro. The only thing is I prefer the wheels to stay close inside the fender/wheel well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts