Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find a DIY anywhere. Anyone have one?

·
Registered
79 Posts
All the steps to remove the transmission, then replace the seal. Sucks to do but if it needs doing it shouldn't be more than nuts and bolts.

Never had a rear main leaking enough to bother changing it, even on my 500,000km Toyotas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is, I am an accountant, not a mechanic. I need the DIYs to follow. I have done all the work on my vette by DIYs so I have plenty of hands on, just not the experience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ah. You might have better luck on pirate4x4. A lot of them run Toyotas and modify the shit out of them for pure offroad. There's a newbie section there that may be able to help. I can probably dig out the Re & Re procedure from our shop manual but in honesty I wouldn't even look it up. Drive shafts out, shifter mechanism disconnected, all electronics out of the way. Drain transmission and transfer case oils, support transmission, unbolt transfer and remove. Lower transmission slightly, remove bellhousing bolts and pull. In shop rate would probably be about 8 hours on this truck. Parts are probably a lot heavier on the Tundra than your Vette. Have you contacted a transmission shop and asked how much to do the rear main and front input seals?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have someone lined up to do it, just curious if it is a diy thing as I know how much labor is involved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
DIY??? LOL, no, especially if you have a 4x4, it SUCKS taking the trans and transfer case out. If you have 100,000 miles or more might as well replace starter while you're at it. Seen most starters crap out as early as 90K. I have 127K on my truck, just waiting for mine to go out.

Oh and it's probably not the rear main seal but the rear main seal retainer plate that's leaking that holds the rear main in place. The retainer plate is held in place by 6 bolts and fixed in place gasket/FIPG. All the rear main seals I've done have seen the retainer plate leaking and not the seal. Have them reseal the retainer plate as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.