Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run 5100's at middle setting with two CB shims each side. This setup gave me around 2.5" but it took two tries at the alignment to get good numbers. I will probably take out at least one shim but I would also like to go up a few more inches. After speaking with David Ekstrom from Coachbuilder, it would appear a spindle lift is compatible with my existing setup.
Has anyone gone with spindles? If so what is your impression?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sitting in my office as we speak. They dont effect ride. I have the Maxtrac ones.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I have run the Maxtrac spindles for over two years now and love them. You will have no problem with alignment. They keep all angles stock. I highly recommend them for lift if you are 2WD. I installed them myself. Not a tough job. Only took about 3-4 hours and 3-4 beers. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Only took about 3-4 hours and 3-4 beers
Hardest part or any tips to give? I'm thinking of trying friday while all the shopping madness is going on

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have the CST Spindles with Bilstein 5100 in the front. Going to swap out the Bilstein's for Icon Coils. I like the ride of my current setup.
You guys running spindles and 5100s should post up a few pics of your truck. Love to see the wheel clearance.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats about perfect, what tires are you running?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The install was pretty straight forward. I just followed the included instructions.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Needs bigger tires now.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Bilstein 5100's
2 CB shims per side
maxtrac 3.5" lift spindles
and a 3" block in the rear (for now) with Zone offroad extended shocks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bilstein 5100's
2 CB shims per side
maxtrac 3.5" lift spindles
and a 3" block in the rear (for now) with Zone offroad extended shocks

Nice!!! looks great! I added an iron bull bumper and lost some height in the front with 5100s on the middle setting with CB shims. Thinking the spindles are the way to go to add some height back.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Installed my MaxTrac spindles myself as well - not difficult, the instructions were pretty good. Need some large sockets for the lower ball joint and may want to consider Coachbuilders tie rod ends. No issues with getting it into alignment, its a very smart way to lift a 2WD.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installed my MaxTrac spindles myself as well - not difficult, the instructions were pretty good. Need some large sockets for the lower ball joint and may want to consider Coachbuilders tie rod ends. No issues with getting it into alignment, its a very smart way to lift a 2WD.
Throw a picture up here, we would love to see the truck with spindles. Also tire size;)

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Id say thats about a perfect tire to lift ratio.
I'm happy with it, like the higher driving position as well. But the trend lately seems to be towards less lift and more tire.

For 2WD spindles are an ideal way to get lift with minimal impact on suspension geometry. If you did spindles alone in front with 1" rear lift (via shackles) the truck would still drive pretty normal and you could still tuck 35's in there with the correct wheel offset. Some are even getting 37's with minimal lift.

Another thing to keep in mind, with 35's (and even more so with 37's) your effective gearing changes, and if you are like me you will want to go to 4:88's to compensate. Then while you have the diff out you'll want to add the Auburn LSD (next to the SC, these are two of the best bang for the buck upgrades on the 2WD tundra). And then you'll want traction bars to reduce axle wrap. And the rear sway bar to help with cornering given the higher center of gravity. There is more you could do, but I decided to stop there. Seems there is no end to the money we can spend on these trucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.