Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a 1986 Tracker Tournament v17 boat in the morning and don't have a clue what to look for. This will be my first boat buying experience. The boat has been in indoor storage for most of the last 12 years, is that a good thing or a bad thing. I would think good for the boat, maybe bad for the motor. He said the motor, 50hp mercury 2 stroke, fires right up and runs well. Also, I think he might be high on the price, he is asking $3200. Here are some of the specs from the ad.

Bass tracker V-17
50 hp
2 gas cans
New battery
Foot control trolling
Live well
New hummingbird fish finder
New spare prop
New spare trolling motor prop
Depth sounder
Pedistal seats
Runs great everything works.

I was thinking it would be worth around $2700. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
The boat looks really clean. The outboard will need a new impeller, and the lower unit fluid changed. You can try and leverage that, as far as getting the price down. The price isn't too bad though..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the boat and trailer looked really good, and the motor looked and sounded good. Everything was in really good shape. I offered $2500 and we settled on $2600. Then I discovered the bad part. I live in Ohio and the boat and trailer are titled in West Virginia in his fathers name, who passed away about a year ago. The motor has no title. From some research I found that outboards sold in West Virginia prior to 1989 did not have titles, but Ohio has needed titles since 1964. The seller lives in Ohio. Not sure what kind of mess this is going to be for the seller and for me. We will have to wait until monday to talk to the title office and see what can be done. Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? No money has been exchanged since it is kind of in limbo.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It will take time and patience on your part and probably some paperwork about his dad passing on his part, even if he has power of attorney. Good luck. It all works out, just takes time.

Soon you will be catching bass, crappie and catfish all out of an affordable boat!!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I bought a boat in Indiana once that had the same situation, it took about 3 weeks and multiple trips to various county clerks etc, was a pain to go through. Hopefully it will work out Did you run the boat on the water or just in the driveway? A lot of times boats will run fine in the driveway then as soon as you take them on the water and open them up you find that the carb float is stuck and the next thing you know you are rebuilding the carburetor and that is just the beginning. Lower unit etc. If the motor has been sitting that many years expect some issues, hopefully nothing major but use the money you saved on the repair bills

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a boat in Indiana once that had the same situation, it took about 3 weeks and multiple trips to various county clerks etc, was a pain to go through. Hopefully it will work out Did you run the boat on the water or just in the driveway? A lot of times boats will run fine in the driveway then as soon as you take them on the water and open them up you find that the carb float is stuck and the next thing you know you are rebuilding the carburetor and that is just the beginning. Lower unit etc. If the motor has been sitting that many years expect some issues, hopefully nothing major but use the money you saved on the repair bills
We only ran it with the muffs. I was kind of thinking the same thing about issues showing up once it hits the water. I would like to take it for a test on the water, the bad part is that there are no big hp lakes close (nearest is about an hour away), they are all electric or 9.9 hp limit. I will rarely use the 50 hp, so it's going to be hanging back there unused most of the time. That will be hard on it also. It does have a kicker plate on the back, so if I get the boat I would be looking for a 9.9 hp for those lakes. The wife and son are really excited about it, so I hope it works out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts