Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I searched the forums but did not see much on installing a power inverter to look factory (out of sight and clean). Just looking for some input from anyone that has done this or thought about it. Looking to have two plugs coming out of the center console for the back passengers (kids) to use their 120 stuff. My rav4 has something like this.

I'm thinking of using one of my 400-800 inverters to do this. Not sure the best spot to put the inverter and give it some room to cool down. I was thinking somewhere around the front dash or around the center console area. Under a seat in a somewhat vented but protected box is also an idea.

Being so small of an inverter the 12v cigarette plug will be enough, but still batting the idea of using another circuit already in the car that is not being used or just running another 12v out directly from the battery.

Does anyone know if the base model tundra has the wiring for the inverter on it? I know it only comes with the overhead dvd and I don't even know where they put the ac plugs.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I bought a Duralast 750W unit from Auto Zone. It fit right in to my console and is wired with a 40A relay and 10 GA wire, controlled by the spare AUX switch on my switch panel. The entire installation cost me about $100.00 and a good 6 hours of my labor.

Here's the lighted switch panel made by RIJon.

The inverter mounted on the back wall of my console, 2-Way radio up front. The power feeds connect with binding posts, and the two grey plugs feed the two outlets.

Here is the outlet in the front passenger area. I used a 15A single outlet. They only come in white or ivory, so I "colored" it so it wouldn't look like a giant eyeball looking at you. I cut the hole using a 1 3/8" hole saw which made it very clean. All the wiring is inside the console.

Here's the outlet in the rear passenger compartment, surrounded by all my fire gear.

Reactions: RIjon

·
Registered
97 Posts
BigRed, nice setup. A little more information if you have it on the panel. Im interested. I have an inverter ready to go in for my sons video game console. I have the 12" monitors installed, I have my subs amp underneath the drivers seat, I plan on installing the inverter under the passenger side. I dont have a center console like reds, its a seat. but underneath the seat is a small compartment (I used the area for my monitor inputs). I could probably squeeze the inverter in there, but there is no ventilation for it there.

I SAW THAT CB RED! I have mine I need to install also!

Reactions: BigRed2007

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
BigRed, nice setup. A little more information if you have it on the panel. Im interested. I have an inverter ready to go in for my sons video game console. I have the 12" monitors installed, I have my subs amp underneath the drivers seat, I plan on installing the inverter under the passenger side. I dont have a center console like reds, its a seat. but underneath the seat is a small compartment (I used the area for my monitor inputs). I could probably squeeze the inverter in there, but there is no ventilation for it there.

I SAW THAT CB RED! I have mine I need to install also!
Here is the link to RIJon's site for the switch panel. Scroll down to see the panel I have. Work with Jon to set it up exactly as you want.
Gaugeplates.com, your home for custom gauge and switch plates

BTW....that's not a CB. It's a Ritron RPM-50 VHF-Lo 2-Way fire department radio. Officers have a radio and are assigned a car number that identifies them to their department. Mine happens to be 420. No, I do not blaze up. :D

Reactions: Rwardjr and RIjon

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I did a couple in highlanders but not in a Tundra. I used the factory plate for the invertor and rca inouts for an overhead dvd, ran the rca's to the a/m dvd and hid an invertor behind it in the kick panel. Used all the factory pieces I could, socket, connector and bezels. an untrained eye couldn't tell the difference

Reactions: docfnky

·
Registered
97 Posts
Red, thanks for posting that. I reviewed the site. Nice, but a little pricey. I have to do the ashtray plate as I have the bench setup. $200 seems a little much for a plastic plate and some $4 dollar switches. I love the longer, console switch panel. that is worth the money and looks nice. I might try to fab the plate with thin aluminum and drill switch holes.

I dont know about radios too much. I have a CB radio that is probably 30 years old that I want to install just in case of emergency, or natural disaster with cell service lost. Anyways, you inspired me to get some additional work done to the truck this weekend. Thanks.

Reactions: BigRed2007

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, I searched the forums but did not see much on installing a power inverter to look factory (out of sight and clean). Just looking for some input from anyone that has done this or thought about it. Looking to have two plugs coming out of the center console for the back passengers (kids) to use their 120 stuff. My rav4 has something like this.

I'm thinking of using one of my 400-800 inverters to do this. Not sure the best spot to put the inverter and give it some room to cool down. I was thinking somewhere around the front dash or around the center console area. Under a seat in a somewhat vented but protected box is also an idea.

Being so small of an inverter the 12v cigarette plug will be enough, but still batting the idea of using another circuit already in the car that is not being used or just running another 12v out directly from the battery.

Does anyone know if the base model tundra has the wiring for the inverter on it? I know it only comes with the overhead dvd and I don't even know where they put the ac plugs.
Almost same thing is here, searching for inverter to install, Hope will soon find solution here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts