Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The 2014 Tundra's forward are still free to update because they are still under warranty.

If you also have extended warranty (like 8 years); it would cover you for 8 years.

The firmware update is only available from the Toyota dealer. One USB stick (the update(s)) covers all the head units. The head unit automatically selects the correct update etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I took mine in for a 15k service (with oil change as it's a FFV which they don't sell in Cali) and they did a couple ECU recalls and tried to fix my door rattle from the stereo. I mentioned that my radio will freeze, then reboot. They said it's "one of the Panasonic units" and they don't have a software update for it yet.... He suggested I check back on it. *sigh*

·
Registered
205 Posts
mine has been doing this very thing (freeze/restart) since May... At first, it was only when my iPhone was connected via BT, however it has since started happening at times when my phone isnt connected at all...

Going in Thursday to see if the stealership can figure it out... dont have high hopes...

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's not free if you are out of warranty. My dealer wanted $75 to update.

Told them give me the USB and I'll sit in the parking lot and do it myself. Then I got the "we don't loan tools" BS. What a bunch of douchebags.
My dealer wanted $35 to update mine. Next oil change & tire rotation I'm going to have them update mine. I didn't have time for them to update it last time bc I was in a hurry to hit the road to FL. It's so glitchy it's driving me nuts. Bluetooth will disconnect randomly at least once a day & sometimes it will completely freeze up. I discovered that if the Bluetooth disconnects while driving, I reboot the unit and it will reconnect automatically once it boots back up. That way I don't have to pull over to stop to reconnect manually since it won't let you while you're moving.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
When I picked up my Tundra at the very beginning of March I had about 3 weeks of Entune Hell (continuous reboots, factory resets, loss of programmed stations, loss of settings, etc.) I was going to bring it back to the dealership for service, when a Super Friends Moving company van hit me (while parked.) The body shop had the truck for the second three weeks of it's life. When I got the truck back from them, the reboots and resets had disappeared. Occasionally some settings were reset to defaults, so that was annoying, and I thought I would have the dealer look at it at the 5K oil change.

Today I received a call from the Entune customer service people, checking to be sure I was happy with my Entune system. I explained all the issue to the woman, who had me verify the various firmware versions in "General -> Setup -> Software Update" She was unable to do anything for me, but dutifully took note of the issues I was having.

On my drive home today, the radio reset itself thirteen times in ten miles // thirty minutes.

5K miles can't get here fast enough.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I wrote a long heated reply, but I'm editing it now. They dealer called after my 20k service, and after I was complaining about my radio. Service was done, and they did nothing about the radio because they couldn't duplicate the issue in the service bay. When I went to pick it up I told them how disappointing it was that they did nothing because they couldn't see the issue with their own eyes, not even run a simple diagnostics test. So they waste some time, come out and tell me if it happens again to bring it back and they'll give me a new radio. So I get back to work, look through the settings on my radio, and what do I see? They updated the radio software today...... they didn't tell me they did that. LOL. I'm sure that's why they offered a free radio if it happens again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't want to put this in the electrical section because I was afraid it wouldn't get as many views. For the last 3 or 4 months, my radio has frozen randomly and then the entire unit restarts itself all while I'm driving. Usually when it happens, it happens like 3 or 4 times in a row within 10 minutes. It doesn't happen often, but I can recall at least 3 or 4 times recently. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm at 18,xxx miles so at the 20k service I'm going to bring it up.
Had 2016 tundra and now 2018. Constant problem. GPS freaks out says I'm 20 miles north of actual location. Jump;s to random screens touchscreen inoperable, buttons frozen. Radio plays but cannot switch stations. 2018 has it's 3rd radio in 4 months in it. Leaving truck with dealer Wednesday and they're getting with Toyota engineers to figure out. Love the truck and dealership always bends over backwards but Toyota has a problem with these radios.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 Tundra Panasonic radio is shot. According to Toyota Corporate Representative, it will be about 10 weeks until back orders are filled. Am I understanding that the JBL version of the same system is more reliable? If so, i will pay the difference for the upgrade. Assuming the existing wiring and speakers are compatible.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts