Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking I want to go to this setup before winter since I already need new tires. I don't do any real offroading, daily driver truck. Just curious what that size looks like with a leveling kit before I make the purchase.

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions I haven't thought about.

Thanks,
Bill-Maine

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't go with a spacer leveling kit. Those basically use your shock as the bump stop and if you go over a speed bump or pot hole fast enough, you could collapse one or both your shocks. Plus it rides stiff as hell.
Do it the right way with Bilstein 5100's or 6112's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought those tires but most of the places online with good prices were all sold out. I checked a bunch of local places and they all said 4 to 6 weeks backorder. I did end up getting them at my local Sam's Club for 785.00. Now I'm just waiting to get the 5100s.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is a before/after pic of my old '13 DC.

5100's at top setting (~2.5"). CB +2 shackles in the rear.
275/70/18 BFG AT KO's on stock 18's steelies (not really a fan of 99% of the aftermarket wheels out there).

Keep in mind this was taken, literally right after I set the truck on the ground after installing the 5100's which is why it looks a little nose high. They settled just a bit.

Here's a shot taken about a year later.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is a before/after pic of my old '13 DC.

5100's at top setting (~2.5"). CB +2 shackles in the rear.
275/70/18 BFG AT KO's on stock 18's steelies (not really a fan of 99% of the aftermarket wheels out there).

Keep in mind this was taken, literally right after I set the truck on the ground after installing the 5100's which is why it looks a little nose high. They settled just a bit.
i used to have 5100's on my previous tacoma and they were a really solid and functional lift. does your truck ride stiff on the top setting? i assume that the tundra being heavier would handle them better. looks awesome!

·
Registered
253 Posts
i used to have 5100's on my previous tacoma and they were a really solid and functional lift. does your truck ride stiff on the top setting? i assume that the tundra being heavier would handle them better. looks awesome!
I had them on my Tacoma as well. I had no issues with them on the taco and offroaded with it frequently.

On my '13 tundra, they were a little stiffer than stock but honestly, it drove like a boat anyways so I liked the stiffer feel.

I think I'm going to do the 6112's on my '14 I have now and 285/65/20 bfg's on the stock limited wheels. When I traded my '13 in, I thought about having them switch the suspension over but my '14 would have looked goofy with a lift and stock tires. I hate driving around with no lift right now haha. I'll probably buy a lift and tires in the spring once I know how much money I'll owe Uncle Sam next year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Spacer lifts don't affect the springrate, compression, or damping of the front shocks, so they ride as stock. Bilsteins are nice (had 5100s on 2 previous Tundras) for sure, but a more expensive way to go.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Don't go with a spacer leveling kit. Those basically use your shock as the bump stop and if you go over a speed bump or pot hole fast enough, you could collapse one or both your shocks. Plus it rides stiff as hell.
Do it the right way with Bilstein 5100's or 6112's.
You can get a bigger bump stop to prevent shock collapse with a spacer level kits. I haven't put them on and I have no problems with my 3/2 ready lift in 15,000 miles. I don't off road , but never had a problem with speed bumps maybe because I don't Baja them. I can't stand when people say that the shock acts as the bump stop....... The only reason for that to happen is because they didn't put a bigger bump stop on.........a bigger bump stop will prevent the shock from acting as the bump stop. ......... BIGGER BUMP STOPS.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts