Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up a 2019 Crewmax 4x4 SR5 w/Upgrade package, VIP package, spray in bedliner, and seat protectant that had an MSRP of $45,898 for $38,898 out the door.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like a good deal on a 2019. Wish they put cup holders in the back of the center console in the Crewmax. I have 3 kids and the cup holders in the rear seat don't help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To each his own. While I agree that the Tundra needs updating, I can't possibly see replacing mine with a $45,000 plus anemic pepsqueak of a truck and claim I'm getting 29 mpg when its only rated for 22 mpg. Yeah right! 29mpg in a mid size 4x4 truck..... How much MORE does diesel cost in your area? At 22 mpg I wouldn't be bragging about better mpg.

I have constantly gotten 14 to 14.5 with mostly city driving on 14 5.7 4x4 since I've had it. I'm even running 33x11.4 E rated ATs.

Tundra gets within 2mpg real world of any large truck on the market. The only exception is the RAM ecodiesel.

I can't take going from 5.7 400 hp V-8 to a 10 sec 0-60 mini truck. >:D

Wait till they get one of the new Lexus V8s in the Tundra.... :)
nice truck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Silverado 1500 gets 18 mpg versus 14 mpg with the Tundra so the Chevy is 28% more fuel efficient. The Chevy is lighter, has lots of aerodynamic add-ons, and its having 8 and 10 speed transmission options. The Tundra fuel economy is hurt in part with the very low gearing at 4.30 with the tow package as compared to trucks from Ford, Ram, and Chevy.

Having owned a diesel pickup for the past 8 years I have no illusions about the higher cost to operate and maintain a diesel truck and the reduced reliability with the current emissions control systems that are still a work in progress. Just the cost of replacing the fuel injectors (which have a relatively short life as a result of high pressure systems and the very dirty diesel fuel burned) on a V-8 is a $4,000 repair job. I can get a rebuilt gas engine for that kind of money.

There are other aspects of the Tundra's that are 10 years behind the times and that is why I am waiting to see what Toyota does with the 2020 models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked this up Saturday. Limited CM. This thing is sweet and who cares the mileage sucks. Its averaging 12.5 around town right now. Have a 4Runner also and its not the best on mileage also. Just traded an 18 Legacy Sport that was getting 2xs the gas mileage, but obviously we dont drive Tundras for economy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Silverado 1500 gets 18 mpg versus 14 mpg with the Tundra so the Chevy is 28% more fuel efficient. The Chevy is lighter, has lots of aerodynamic add-ons, and its having 8 and 10 speed transmission options. The Tundra fuel economy is hurt in part with the very low gearing at 4.30 with the tow package as compared to trucks from Ford, Ram, and Chevy.

Having owned a diesel pickup for the past 8 years I have no illusions about the higher cost to operate and maintain a diesel truck and the reduced reliability with the current emissions control systems that are still a work in progress. Just the cost of replacing the fuel injectors (which have a relatively short life as a result of high pressure systems and the very dirty diesel fuel burned) on a V-8 is a $4,000 repair job. I can get a rebuilt gas engine for that kind of money.

There are other aspects of the Tundra's that are 10 years behind the times and that is why I am waiting to see what Toyota does with the 2020 models.
Silverado also has no ground clearance. They have turned the 1500 into a crossover as far as I'm concerned. I feel like you have to buy a 2500 to get a truck, and what do you get there? A 6.0 that gets 11 mpg and has less power than the tundra.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just picked this up Saturday. Limited CM. This thing is sweet and who cares the mileage sucks. Its averaging 12.5 around town right now. Have a 4Runner also and its not the best on mileage also. Just traded an 18 Legacy Sport that was getting 2xs the gas mileage, but obviously we dont drive Tundras for economy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Nice truck. If you have the ability to monitor the transmission temperature, please report back to me on PM. They eliminated the auxiliary oil cooler this year. Cooling is integrated with the engine cooling via the warmer plumbing.
Regards,
bc

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a Platinum for around 45,000 out the door. I don't understand complaints about all the stuff the Tundra doesn't have. You pay for all that extra stuff. F150 with all the same options as the Platinum with leather seats, sunroof, 4X4 costs 10,000-12,000 more. I wish the tundra had more charging and usb ports. Maybe even an inverter with 110 outlet but the truck is solid. My biggest complaint with the Tundra is the sound system. To me this is an easy fix for Toyota and would go a long way with impressing potential customers as well as keeping the ones that already own. My 2008 Jeep Liberty with the Skyslider was a piece of crap but the souns system was awesome. Made it more enjoyable when I was waiting for a tow. And the mpg in that thing sucked. I'm getting the same mpg approximately in a vehicle with a much larger engine and much larger vehicle. Keep in mind, taking the diesel out of the picture I believe the Tundra is the only one naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My Silverado 2500HD has 11 inches of ground clearance and when towing it gets 12 mpg and with no load it gets 18 mpg on the highway. It's engine provides 397 horsepower at 3000 rpm, and 765 lb ft of torque at 1600 rpm. The truck has good acceleration even when towing a 13,000 lb trailer load.

Fully loaded with every package except navigation but including running boards, bed liner, factory diamond plate aluminum tool box it cost me $43,000. Spending $45K to $50K for a light duty half ton pickup with a gas engine is not something I can get my head around as a smart decision to make.

What counts is that with its 36 gallon fuel tank I can go for nearly 600 miles before needing to make a fuel stop. With the Tundra and the large fuel tank my range is between 400 miles and 475 miles. Having an extra 125 miles of driving range before running out of gas in the boondocks or having to carry jerry cans strapped to a roof rack are not trivial to me where I travel.

Toyota has made substantial changes to its next generation cars and trucks and with the Tundra using a 2007 design I will wait to see if the 2020 provides those upgrades to the truck. If not then the decision is whether to buy a used 2018 model year truck or a new Ram 1500.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Silverado also has no ground clearance. They have turned the 1500 into a crossover as far as I'm concerned. I feel like you have to buy a 2500 to get a truck, and what do you get there? A 6.0 that gets 11 mpg and has less power than the tundra.
Buddy of mine VERY UNHAPPY with his new 2017 Chevy towing mileage and performance . He is a mechanic and tows a boat . He liked his older Chevy better by far .

·
Registered
158 Posts
And there are just as many mechanics who are happier with the towing performance of the new Chevy trucks. So a survey of one mechanic is not something I would give any credence and because someone replacing bad parts on cars and trucks it does not follow that they know much about towing or gearing or a raft of other aspects of truck performance.

I photographed a local event by the areas 5 Hummer dealers and their customers at an off-road park with various obstacles to run and even with all the ground clearance and the locking differentials and other capabilities it still came down to the skill of the individual drivers. The last obstacle section was the most difficult and I watched as the hummers crawled through it one by one. After all the Hummers had made it through a family in a little Suzuki Brat flew through the course in half the time and with no dramatics.

·
Registered
823 Posts
And there are just as many mechanics who are happier with the towing performance of the new Chevy trucks. So a survey of one mechanic is not something I would give any credence and because someone replacing bad parts on cars and trucks it does not follow that they know much about towing or gearing or a raft of other aspects of truck performance.

I photographed a local event by the areas 5 Hummer dealers and their customers at an off-road park with various obstacles to run and even with all the ground clearance and the locking differentials and other capabilities it still came down to the skill of the individual drivers. The last obstacle section was the most difficult and I watched as the hummers crawled through it one by one. After all the Hummers had made it through a family in a little Suzuki Brat flew through the course in half the time and with no dramatics.
I did not intend to step on your Chevy dress nor imply one mechanic's opinion is the word of God and thus a complete survey .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't forget the Chevy runs on "Premium" gas and the Tundra runs on "regular" thats a 35 cent per gallon difference where I live ... one of the reasons I bought a 2019 Tundra, that and none of the start/stop, half the motor running crud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a Platinum for around 45,000 out the door. I don't understand complaints about all the stuff the Tundra doesn't have. You pay for all that extra stuff. F150 with all the same options as the Platinum with leather seats, sunroof, 4X4 costs 10,000-12,000 more. I wish the tundra had more charging and usb ports. Maybe even an inverter with 110 outlet but the truck is solid. My biggest complaint with the Tundra is the sound system. To me this is an easy fix for Toyota and would go a long way with impressing potential customers as well as keeping the ones that already own. My 2008 Jeep Liberty with the Skyslider was a piece of crap but the souns system was awesome. Made it more enjoyable when I was waiting for a tow. And the mpg in that thing sucked. I'm getting the same mpg approximately in a vehicle with a much larger engine and much larger vehicle. Keep in mind, taking the diesel out of the picture I believe the Tundra is the only one naturally aspirated.

Oh wow, how and where did you get the platinum for 45k ODO?
I am thinking about selling my 2005 tundra and buy a new one. Either wait for the new 2021 model or find a good deal on a 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
We paid about $48K for our new 2019 Platinum a couple of weeks ago. There was a $2K rebate that helped. The dealer had 17 Tundras and about 30 Tacomas on the lot, AND it was the last day of the month (March). Quite happy with the new truck! Sound system sounds OK to us, but everyone's ears are different. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I traded my '07 in on a '19 in January. A couple weeks later I fell on some black ice and broke my left hip so I have been unable to drive. I now have a 4 month old '19 parked in my driveway with less than 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know what people complain about. I get 78 MPG on my Tundra. True story. You know I am honest cause I am posting this in a forum. :D
Me too! 78 mpg all day long!
I thought I was the only one !

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Me too! 78 mpg all day long!
I thought I was the only one !
I only got 60mpg when I reset while coasting down a hill....

41 - 60 of 84 Posts