Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Basically the "same old same old"...Best reliability, great looks, bullet proof powertrain, outstanding resale value. Yeah,hard to get excited over a 2019.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't mind the grill, especially the platinum. I'm still waiting on 3rd gen though. We should see an announcement in January - February 2019 for a new generation, based on past reveals. I'm hoping for a hybrid V8, to bump up that economy a little, while still delivering that v8 we all like.

And today, news just dropped that Toyota will finally start putting Android Auto in cars!!! Yay! Considering something Android runs on like 80%+ of the world's phones, it's a good move. We should see it on the 3rd gen Tundra.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2019 is pretty much the 2018, 2017, 2016, hell, its a 2007 with lipstick. Same 5.7, 11 years ago, I love Toyota but it seems they are taking us on a ride... 11-13 mpg has run its course too. My 2014 CM limited just sold, private party I'm going back to the mid size game until Toyota starts innovating again. My replacement for the time being ,2018 ZR2 2.8 Deisel, frekkin love it. Loving 29 mpg, front and rear lockers... Im gonna wait to see what the 2021 tundra looks like.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Subbed.

Interesting--subbed.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
2019 is pretty much the 2018, 2017, 2016, hell, its a 2007 with lipstick. Same 5.7, 11 years ago, I love Toyota but it seems they are taking us on a ride... 11-13 mpg has run its course too. My 2014 CM limited just sold, private party I'm going back to the mid size game until Toyota starts innovating again. My replacement for the time being ,2018 ZR2 2.8 Deisel, frekkin love it. Loving 29 mpg, front and rear lockers... Im gonna wait to see what the 2021 tundra looks like.

To each his own. While I agree that the Tundra needs updating, I can't possibly see replacing mine with a $45,000 plus anemic pepsqueak of a truck and claim I'm getting 29 mpg when its only rated for 22 mpg. Yeah right! 29mpg in a mid size 4x4 truck..... How much MORE does diesel cost in your area? At 22 mpg I wouldn't be bragging about better mpg.

I have constantly gotten 14 to 14.5 with mostly city driving on 14 5.7 4x4 since I've had it. I'm even running 33x11.4 E rated ATs.

Tundra gets within 2mpg real world of any large truck on the market. The only exception is the RAM ecodiesel.

I can't take going from 5.7 400 hp V-8 to a 10 sec 0-60 mini truck. >:D

Wait till they get one of the new Lexus V8s in the Tundra.... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
To each his own. While I agree that the Tundra needs updating, I can't possibly see replacing mine with a $45,000 plus anemic pepsqueak of a truck and claim I'm getting 29 mpg when its only rated for 22 mpg. Yeah right! 29mpg in a mid size 4x4 truck..... How much MORE does diesel cost in your area? At 22 mpg I wouldn't be bragging about better mpg.

I have constantly gotten 14 to 14.5 with mostly city driving on 14 5.7 4x4 since I've had it. I'm even running 33x11.4 E rated ATs.

Tundra gets within 2mpg real world of any large truck on the market. The only exception is the RAM ecodiesel.

I can't take going from 5.7 400 hp V-8 to a 10 sec 0-60 mini truck. >:D

Wait till they get one of the new Lexus V8s in the Tundra.... :)
I ended up avg 27.4, approx 529 miles on 20.5 gallons diesel on this trip, when the gas light when on. If I keep it 60-65, it will avg 29-30 depending on the grade or wind. My buddy has a canyon denali with the 2.8 LWN, he tuned and deleted his, he gets 38-42mpg hwy... yeah I'm not exaggerating. Also note consumers reports puts the Colorado reliability and satisfactions above the Tacoma last year. When I delete and tune mine, I should be able to bump my mpgs to 26 city, over 33 hwy, 260hp, 460lbs tq for the ZR2. Gas is $2.99 regular, diesel is $3.19 where I live. I mainly bought it for wheeling, not to race anyone. Its definitely not a V8, but its a fun truck one you figure out the turbo and torque curve, GDE does a nice tune and trans tune, which like I was saying, 460lbs torque!! Also I paid $39K for my 2.8 Zr2. Don't get me wrong, I really loved my tundra, just don't need that much utility for the time being, In wanna do more over landing with a more narrower trial capable truck, hence a mid-size.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm3RkaonvoU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=155cer9ka712e

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I ended up avg 27.4, approx 529 miles on 20.5 gallons diesel on this trip, when the gas light when on. If I keep it 60-65, it will avg 29-30 depending on the grade or wind. My buddy has a canyon denali with the 2.8 LWN, he tuned and deleted his, he gets 38-42mpg hwy... yeah I'm not exaggerating. Also note consumers reports puts the Colorado reliability and satisfactions above the Tacoma last year. When I delete and tune mine, I should be able to bump my mpgs to 26 city, over 33 hwy, 260hp, 460lbs tq for the ZR2. Gas is $2.99 regular, diesel is $3.19 where I live. I mainly bought it for wheeling, not to race anyone. Its definitely not a V8, but its a fun truck one you figure out the turbo and torque curve, GDE does a nice tune and trans tune, which like I was saying, 460lbs torque!! Also I paid $39K for my 2.8 Zr2. Don't get me wrong, I really loved my tundra, just don't need that much utility for the time being, In wanna do more over landing with a more narrower trial capable truck, hence a mid-size.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm3RkaonvoU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=155cer9ka712e
I'm not ignorant at all. I just not afraid to call you out on your comments You see it all the time on the internet. The BS is down right silly.

There is no way you're getting that mileage. No way. You're not getting 7 mpg OVER the manufacturer rating. If you are...... you need to call GM and have them come get your truck and take it back to the factory and figure out what happened so they can get all their trucks to do the same. Then they can claim the mileage on their advertizing. I mean seriosuly, they are way underselling their own product.

Also, You're not deleting your DPF and tune..... to get 40 mpg. Don't "kid yourself". Be sure to let us know so I can report your polluting truck to the autoritizes. IF you're going to go that direct be sure to play by the rules.

You are also ignoing my comments on how much fuel is costing your along with that "fluid"?

FYI. I've owned GM trucks. I've had friends that own Colorados. After about 5 years, they are biggest piece of crap on the road. I work with a guy that just went from a new Silverado to a Tundra because of how big a piece of crap the Silverado is. I even just tried to help Duramax GMC fix their truck. The Duramax is great engine. Everything around it is just junk. Fix one thing, something else breaks. You might want to check your recalls. There are already one on your truck for fuel leaking.

I happen to have a CS account. I went and looked and they have the Ridgeline tops of the class. A Ridgeline. CS isn't a truck reviewer. They averaged 18 mpg in your truck. You might want to read it again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’m sorry but anyone who buys a Tundra and then complains about the MPG, you had no business buying one to begin with.

Yeah, MPGs suck compared to other new full size gas trucks on the road. But you know what my Tundra Doesn’t do that all those other do? Drop cylinders. I hated that. My Dodge did it best. But even then I didn’t care for it. (2007 Ram 5.7 Hemi) And GM’s version REALLY sucked. (2009 Tahoe) I’ve owned a LOT of F150’s and really wanted a 2018 F150. But when I found out they have computer controlled 10 speeds and the engines cut off at stops and all this other crazy crap, I said No thanks I want a truck not a soccer mom vehicle. I rode in my boss’s 2018 Platinum F150 & I wasn’t even driving and I didn’t like all the crap it was doing. At one point it wouldn’t even turn on.

So I bought a Tundra. One of the last real Trucks on the market. No engine cylinder dropping, no cutting off at red lights, no weird shifting patterns, just pure TRUCK.

But that being said, it still gets pretty dang good MPG for what it is. I took a road trip and ended up with well over 500 miles on one tank. I’d have to go back and look to be exact but Do the math that’s 18+ MPG out of a 5.7L V8 4x4 CM truck.

If I’m ever that concerned with MPG, I’ll just drive the wife’s Jeep Cherokee @ ~30mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not ignorant at all. I just not afraid to call you out on your comments You see it all the time on the internet. The BS is down right silly.

There is no way you're getting that mileage. No way. You're not getting 7 mpg OVER the manufacturer rating. If you are...... you need to call GM and have them come get your truck and take it back to the factory and figure out what happened so they can get all their trucks to do the same. Then they can claim the mileage on their advertizing. I mean seriosuly, they are way underselling their own product.

Also, You're not deleting your DPF and tune..... to get 40 mpg. Don't "kid yourself". Be sure to let us know so I can report your polluting truck to the autoritizes. IF you're going to go that direct be sure to play by the rules.

You are also ignoing my comments on how much fuel is costing your along with that "fluid"?

FYI. I've owned GM trucks. I've had friends that own Colorados. After about 5 years, they are biggest piece of crap on the road. I work with a guy that just went from a new Silverado to a Tundra because of how big a piece of crap the Silverado is. I even just tried to help Duramax GMC fix their truck. The Duramax is great engine. Everything around it is just junk. Fix one thing, something else breaks. You might want to check your recalls. There are already one on your truck for fuel leaking.

I happen to have a CS account. I went and looked and they have the Ridgeline tops of the class. A Ridgeline. CS isn't a truck reviewer. They averaged 18 mpg in your truck. You might want to read it again.
Why so angry fella .. ? Hey bud, before you get your panities in a wad why dont you educate yourself before typing, come on over to the Canyon/Colorado LWN 2.8 forums and FB and see what mpgs guys are getting with their trucks, stock and tuned real world. I just told you my averaged on my last trip to the coast from central oregon, i have no reason to lie and could careless if you don't believe. DEF cost me about $15+/- from the time I bought it to now , I went 4800 miles before it was @35%, its $7.99-$9.99 /per 2.5 gallon jug, so 4800 miles I probably used IDK.. 3 gallons of DEF, my tank holds 5 gallons. Also no smog here in central Oregon, and if you know diesels, deleting is actually better for the engines, all that EPA crap is killing the MPGs. And the EGR systems no bueano!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why so angry fella .. ? Hey bud, before you get your panities in a wad why dont you educate yourself before typing, come on over to the Canyon/Colorado LWN 2.8 forums and FB and see what mpgs guys are getting with their trucks, stock and tuned real world. I just told you my averaged on my last trip to the coast from central oregon, i have no reason to lie and could careless if you don't believe. DEF cost me about $15+/- from the time I bought it to now , I went 4800 miles before it was @35%, its $7.99-$9.99 /per 2.5 gallon jug, so 4800 miles I probably used IDK.. 3 gallons of DEF, my tank holds 5 gallons. Also no smog here in central Oregon, and if you know diesels, deleting is actually better for the engines, all that EPA crap is killing the MPGs. And the EGR systems no bueano!!!

So you got that mileage driving down hill?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Seriously. I want to believe. The evidence makes me think otherwise.

No. There is a reason they put the DEF fluid in the vehicle. It is to cut down on pollution. YES, Oregon has pollution standards. They are applied to your truck when you get it. If you modify its emissions system you no longer in compliance. It doesn't matter if they check it or not. You're not legal. You just haven't been caught yet.

Enjoy your truck. I'm not trying bash you for it. I'm just a little skeptical. If you're just going to keep for a few years and then buy another one, then about anything will work and give you good service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Because we all know everyone on internet forums tells the %100 truth about their MPG’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what people complain about. I get 78 MPG on my Tundra. True story. You know I am honest cause I am posting this in a forum. :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thats some kind of fuel mileage , esp the buddys tuned and deleted with that 29mpg.

Are the trucks sitting on oem tires or bigger ones. ( for accuracy )

Have you hand calculated mpgs ?

Why cant people in Oregon pump their own fuel ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2018, which I think is pretty much the same as a 2019.

Some things to think about: Base SR model gets Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic High Beams, Tow Package with Brake Controller. You can get all that on for 35-36K. You can buy a lot of gas for the 20K+ you will spend on an equivalent GM or Ford.

The Colorado diesels are rated 28 HWY. You can obviously get more by driving carefully, 30 isn't out of the question. Diesel has 20% more energy so 28MPG is equivalent to about 22.5MPG on a gas engine. Their 2.5 L, 4 cyl is more efficient than the 2.8L Diesel as far as barrels of oil are concerned, but it's a 2.5L 4cyl. A Colorado is also not a full sized truck. I can get 20mpg with the tundra hypermiling, though I usually get about 19. The Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 gets 3-5MPG better, but again, comparably optioned it will be 20K+ more. 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed is the way to go.

My review is here if you want to know what I think about my 2018, I'm pretty happy: https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/new-member-introductions/757862-new-truck.html

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I just purchased a 2018, which I think is pretty much the same as a 2019.

Some things to think about: Base SR model gets Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic High Beams, Tow Package with Brake Controller. You can get all that on for 35-36K. You can buy a lot of gas for the 20K+ you will spend on an equivalent GM or Ford.

The Colorado diesels are rated 28 HWY. You can obviously get more by driving carefully, 30 isn't out of the question. Diesel has 20% more energy so 28MPG is equivalent to about 22.5MPG on a gas engine. Their 2.5 L, 4 cyl is more efficient than the 2.8L Diesel as far as barrels of oil are concerned, but it's a 2.5L 4cyl. A Colorado is also not a full sized truck. I can get 20mpg with the tundra hypermiling, though I usually get about 19. The Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 gets 3-5MPG better, but again, comparably optioned it will be 20K+ more. 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed is the way to go.

My review is here if you want to know what I think about my 2018, I'm pretty happy: https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/new-member-introductions/757862-new-truck.html
The Colorado diesel is NOT rated for 28 mpg in the ZR2. This came from Chevy's own website.

An available GM-exclusive Duramax® 2.8L Turbo-Diesel engine delivers impressive power, including best-in-class† torque, to help give you the push you need to take on steep challenges.
186 horsepower
Best-in-class† 369 lb.-ft. of torque
18 MPG city/22 highway†
5,000-lb. towing capability†

1 - 20 of 84 Posts