Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my truck for over a year. I still have not figured out how to accurately check my oil. I have used the method in the manual, which says to check it after 5 minutes while hot (No luck). Here are some of the other methods that I have tried:

1. Turn truck off at end of day, pull dipstick and leave it out, check oil in the morning. Most accurate so far.
2. Wait 5 minutes, pull dipstick wipe off and reinsert rotated 90 degrees with edge of blade facing the dipstick tube curve. Works sometimes.
3. Per manual while hot, wait 5 minutes, pull dipstick and wipe it off, check normally. Not accurate

Every time I insert the dipstick it comes back with something different. 1 1/2" above full mark (hot and check immediately), 1/4 below full mark (insert rapidly when cold and remove), occasionally I get an accurate reading on one side and a reading an 1" higher on the back side.

I think the smooth surface and curve in the dipstick tube is causing the problems by leaving oil residue in the dipstick. My Ford F350 Powerstroke had a redesigned oil dipstick for a similar issue. I never get the same reading twice. Any ideas?

·
Registered
830 Posts
On my other vehicles I check after it's been shut off for a few hours. No need to wipe off the dipstick then. I haven't put enough miles onto the Tundra yet to worry about it, but when I have checked it seems to not drain the tube real well--I think I'll have to do the wipe routine. But I'll still only check first thing in the morning. Just easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts