Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 CM with a 5.& with 11,000 miles and today i started it up after it sitting for 4-5 days without being started and it smoked pretty bad. looked like a gray smoke. definitly was not fuel. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced and smoking issues on start up with your newer Tundras. Please leave some feedback on what was done at dealer if you had them look at it. Thanks

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
what was the temp outside?

are you sure it wasn't condensation?

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what was the temp outside?

are you sure it wasn't condensation?
It was not condensation. I live in Tampa FL it was 75 degrees. Condensation doesn't carry in the air like that and it was grayish color. I'm going to watch for it again. Plus it still did it a little when I revved it some. Kinda odd

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Mine smokes after sitting for sometime but it runs fine after warming up so if you don't like it or think something is wrong with your Tundra just take it to the dealer and let them check it out. ;)

No check engine lights right??

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
mine has done it a few times. But was quite a way into the oil change interval on time, 5 months or so (not mileage)

Changed the oil a few times (on mileage) and haven't seen it since. Went to synthetic oil this time around (in my low mileage time of year maint.) and haven't had it happen yet.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
chances are you got some oil somewhere in your exhaust and that is what you are seeing coming out. my buddies car started doing that and he took it in and thats what the shop told him. said it can happen to any car

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
It was not condensation. I live in Tampa FL it was 75 degrees. Condensation doesn't carry in the air like that and it was grayish color. I'm going to watch for it again. Plus it still did it a little when I revved it some. Kinda odd
Condensation forms when temperature and humidity conditions allow. If your truck was sitting for several days, the conditions could have been right at some point for this to occur. Did the smoke go away after a few minutes? Would you characterize the smoke as light gray or dark gray?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Mine did that at about 6000 miles, I posted in the Troubleshooting forum. I hasn't happened since though. I think the oil level may have been a bit high, but at the time I was sure it wasn't. I still does this a little, not as bad as before, when the temp is close to zero, but that is kind of expected with the motor being so cold.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just started it and no smoke so hopefully it doesn't happen all the time. I will watch it. It did sit for like 4-5 days so idk. It was smoke. Probably a light gray. I know for sure it was not condensation. Probably wasn't nothing or at least nothing dealer will do about it

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Probably a light gray. I know for sure it was not condensation.
If it was light gray it was steam. Steam is water that has been vaporized by heat. Water was in your exhaust system and when you started the truck it was vaporized by the heat of combustion from your engine. I don't know how you know for sure it was not condensation, I suspect it was. If it was not condensation, someone stuck a hose up your tailpipe and turned it on. Your smoke was steam, and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine has done this a couple times in the 70,000 miles I've put on it. Mine was definitely oil smoke, but I change the oil (Mobil 1) every 10,000 mi and I've never had the oil level reach the "add oil" mark, so I've ignored it

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Athough it states that our trucks can lose a quart of oil between oil changes. It also states the same on the wife's Prius. I haven't had the issues with over 127,000 miles. It does smoke due to condensation.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
hell, some engines are an ounce per hour runtime spec...

blueish is oil, black is fuel ( rich ) grey, well, most likely condensation...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Same here!

Mine blew a pretty heafty puff for a couple of seconds upon firing up this morning. The vehicle sat for about 4 hours upon coming to work and when I had to head out for an errand, I used my remote start and watched the tail pipes as it fired up and most of the smoke came from the passenger side pipe:confused:
I have noticed this puff of smoke on startup in the past but this mornings plume was pretty heavy. Temp outside was approx 60F & humidity was around 65%.

My truck has about 45,000 km and meticulously maintained.

The smoke was just that smoke. Light blue/grey and I happened to get a good wiff of the plume and it was definately oil smoke.

Hope it's not valve seals or excessive blow-by recirculating back through the intake system.

I'll do some preliminary diagnostics this weekend to see if I can figure this out.:D

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
just dont look out the passenger mirror until its fully warmed up.

problem solved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts