Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!

been after a Tundra for years, finally got the go ahead from my better half.

new is out of the budget, unless Toyota decides to start dropping heavy rebates on 2017 models when the 2018 hits.

so i found a 2012 4x4 CrewMax SR5 at one of our sister stores - about 56K on the clock. priced ok.

here's where your opinions count:

when i went to see the vehicle - i saw it had been set up to tow, and i mean

5th wheel rails
air bags
brake box

so my thoughts are that with the low mileage, it shouldn't matter b/c the truck wasn't being driven as far. on the other hand, i have no idea what the truck was pulling for the first part of it's life...

otherwise, the truck is clean. i can afford it, but i'm concerned i'm buying a ragged out toy.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
What is your budget?

I got 0% interest and a few rebates when I bought my 2014 SR5 in December of 2014.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
new is out of the budget, unless Toyota decides to start dropping heavy rebates on 2017 models when the 2018 hits.
Not many changes so I wouldn't expect huge rebates on old stock.

When I was looking last year I couldn't find any used truck that made sense. I'd expect a truck with 100k miles to cost about half what a new one costs, but that was never the case. And I'd much rather own a truck for its first 100k miles than it's second 100k. I realize that most Toyotas aren't junked at 200k, but you are getting to the point where reliability isn't so good and expensive repairs should be expected. And there is that thing about not knowing where it's been, and if there are issues that aren't obvious.

I ended up driving to a high volume dealer 500 miles away and buying new. Negotiated the price online in about 5 minutes. $31k, OTD, about $5k off list. You can upgrade pretty much everything on these with aftermarket parts and it will be cheaper than buying higher trim levels. But if you really want the higher trims, it might make more sense to buy used since they seem to depreciate quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.