Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tundra
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So two years ago when I got my tundra I had a water pump issue. I replaced the pump and all was fine. A year ago I had my head gasket go out randomly (that's a story for another time) and my dealership could never prove that's what it was. So long story short, here I am again with another water pump issue because the dealership didn't replace my water pump during my $2700 gasket replacement.

I am going to do this again this weekend and wanted to know what all I should change while I'm in there. The truck has 127,000 miles on it. I can get the same water pump through warranty at Autozone but I don't know if I should stay with the same brand. Any recommendations on what to stay away from or what brand to stick with? Let me know what all I should tune up while I do this 5 hour journey.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Did you buy your truck new or used? Do you have, or can you get, any maintenance history from previous owner? What engine does your truck have? How many miles on replacement water pump?

Research water pumps in TT archives. I have seen threads indicating poor life, <50K miles, in UR engine water pumps. Might be about right for 127K miles depending on mileage when previously changed.
Normally, I would bite the bullet, and pay through the "nose" for Toyota parts; on the other hand, some parts at your local parts stores may now be made by the same manufacturers that supply Toyota. Put your money down and spin the wheel.

Edit: Opps, sorry. Just saw your signature...2008 5.7L

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tundra
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it used at 90k miles. I replaced it last around 105k Miles. I can’t get a history of maintence from the previous owner though. I will say that I didn’t notice until the coolant was nearly empty. I filled up and had to top off once or twice and it hasn’t lowered since. But I want to make sure it’s okay.

I think I had the ACdelco brand which is probably trash. Could swap to Toyota spec.

Did you buy your truck new or used? Do you have, or can you get, any maintenance history from previous owner? What engine does your truck have? How many miles on replacement water pump?

Research water pumps in TT archives. I have seen threads indicating poor life, <50K miles, in UR engine water pumps. Might be about right for 127K miles depending on mileage when previously changed.
Normally, I would bite the bullet, and pay through the "nose" for Toyota parts; on the other hand, some parts at your local parts stores may now be made by the same manufacturers that supply Toyota. Put your money down and spin the wheel.

Edit: Opps, sorry. Just saw your signature...2008 5.7L

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personally, I'd use the Toyota part and not aftermarket. This is especially true with alternators but if I had the issue you've had, I'd apply that to the water pump as well.

--Matt

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...some parts at your local parts stores may now be made by the same manufacturers that supply Toyota. Put your money down and spin the wheel...
Use factory parts. Rock auto has the Aisin factory pump for $63 that's the one I used when mine went out at 140k truck has 207k and is still good.
This is an excellent example of what I meant...Aisin has been a long-time supplier to Toyota, and may have been the supplier of the original water pump.

A good Toyota dealer internet price for that pump is $110.50 + another $20-$30 shipping/handling costs. The local dealer list price is $167.09. RockAuto wants $63 + shipping; that's less than half the price, for same Toyota quality. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.