Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 double cab trd, ready lift 3 and 2. running stock rims and tires current mileage 23400. took the truck in for a sqeaking in my front suspension, was told that it sounds like a ball joint going out. got an appointment 2 weeks later, for me to drop off my truck so they can do the warranty work. in this two weeks of waiting my squeak turned into loud popping noise which can be heard and felt in the front of the truck. some days it would happen once or twice, other days a dozen or more times. dropped off my truck today, and rolled out in a loaner toyota corolla. about 2 hours later I get a call from the dealer upon further investigation they were able to duplicate the popping noise multiple times with the truck standing in place simply moving the steering wheel left to right.... that seems a bit excessive for just a ball joint going bad so I thought. then to my surprise the dealership said they tore into my suspension and found the steering rack to have 3" of play on each side of the rack. small amount of damage to a part of the rack which I cannot recall the name of. but the odd thing is there was absolutely no leaking boots.... which could mean It got caught just before a complete failure or idk. never thought id be part of the blew a rack club, but here I am. less then 30k miles and one rack down, that's disturbing because I don't beat on my truck. but good news is the dealer is honoring the warranty, New rack is ordered tomorrow they will take delivery and hopefully start the swap.....

· Registered
14,311 Posts
2011 double cab trd, ready lift 3 and 2. running stock rims and tires current mileage 23400. took the truck in for a sqeaking in my front suspension, was told that it sounds like a ball joint going out. got an appointment 2 weeks later, for me to drop off my truck so they can do the warranty work. in this two weeks of waiting my squeak turned into loud popping noise which can be heard and felt in the front of the truck. some days it would happen once or twice, other days a dozen or more times. dropped off my truck today, and rolled out in a loaner toyota corolla. about 2 hours later I get a call from the dealer upon further investigation they were able to duplicate the popping noise multiple times with the truck standing in place simply moving the steering wheel left to right.... that seems a bit excessive for just a ball joint going bad so I thought. then to my surprise the dealership said they tore into my suspension and found the steering rack to have 3" of play on each side of the rack. small amount of damage to a part of the rack which I cannot recall the name of. but the odd thing is there was absolutely no leaking boots.... which could mean It got caught just before a complete failure or idk. never thought id be part of the blew a rack club, but here I am. less then 30k miles and one rack down, that's disturbing because I don't beat on my truck. but good news is the dealer is honoring the warranty, New rack is ordered tomorrow they will take delivery and hopefully start the swap.....

I had finally came to the conclusion that I had a balljoint going due to my squeakiness... I had steering lock up a couple times in winter and then it was fine right after it happened. I figured maybe bj was sticking... I need to figure out how to dl vid from phone to puter... I'll get back in a minute...

Reactions: theoat and serberus

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
never experienced any steering lock it was a mild squeak to a more vibrant squeak to a popping noise. which led to them saying my rack is toast. what gets me us there talking about 3" of play on each side but no leaking boots like I've read from most guys who blew there racks. but yea I am happy they will fix it under warranty

· Registered
14,311 Posts

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know if it's how you posted it, our if it's cause I'm in my phone but I can't watch the video..

Reactions: theoat

· Registered
14,311 Posts
I put a direct link to video on photobucket, or you can also click the image which should take you to the same place as the link...

I checked and it doesn't work on my phone, maybe it's flash powered... My android doesn't have support flash even tho it's jelly bean

· Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I have a squeak that sounds to be about the center of the truck but only squeaks when the left a-arm moves. Any bump or anything makes it squeak. It drives me nuts but is this how your squeaks started?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea my squeak started with me hearing it with my drivers side window open, at first I thought maybe I dirt or something some where it shouldn't be so I pressured washed it, that didn't fix it, so I tried grease that didn't work. over time the squeak got louder and more pronouced. so one day in a parking garage I was pulling in to park and the squeak was really bad seemed to act up when turning, when parking and any sort of rough terrain. after I parked I had a dryers get in my truck pull it out of the spot then back in and then move my steering wheeling left to right while in park. it squeaked up a storm. only moving part I could see correct me if I'm wrong is the cv book ??? that was the only thing I could see moving so I assumes that's what the problem was... once it started popping I had no clue what was going on. one guy said it might be my.ball joint getting ready to slip out....

· Registered
14,311 Posts
Mine is only the drivers side, however it squeaks while turning, this is even on dirt, so it is not tire noise. first heard the turning squeak about a month ago while changing my oil, takes a lil maneuvering to get my truck on my hoist at work, thought it was odd, tried to lube , everything is sealed, sprayed for the helluvit. I thought the up/down squeak was the sway bar link, as it quieted down, but the next day squeak was back in full force.

I need to get to the dealer as it's warranty, unfortunately they won't just hand me the parts which means some idiot gets his whack at my truck...
I am concerned about my rack. It locked up twice where I went to steer and it was like I was in a rut and couldn't power left or right, then it cleared up both times after going the opposite direction... Both times low speed. And I do notice more play than it used to have, but still steers straight. Which brings me to my other concern, now I have to deal with them and hope they get the alignment right, and I think I deleted the pm with my specs for alignment. Damnit.

· Registered
14,311 Posts
Yea my squeak started with me hearing it with my drivers side window open, at first I thought maybe I dirt or something some where it shouldn't be so I pressured washed it, that didn't fix it, so I tried grease that didn't work. over time the squeak got louder and more pronouced. so one day in a parking garage I was pulling in to park and the squeak was really bad seemed to act up when turning, when parking and any sort of rough terrain. after I parked I had a dryers get in my truck pull it out of the spot then back in and then move my steering wheeling left to right while in park. it squeaked up a storm. only moving part I could see correct me if I'm wrong is the cv book ??? that was the only thing I could see moving so I assumes that's what the problem was... once it started popping I had no clue what was going on. one guy said it might be my.ball joint getting ready to slip out....

You were looking at the tie-rod end, cv boots don't move, only rotate and flex...

Where you able to see my vid yet? I dunno if you made it to a real 'puter or not...

I am curious if your sound was what mine is...

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea the squeak was way more noticeable at low speeds, didn't even have to have v the steering wheel at full lock either going straight, slight turns, full turns bumps in the road. I did notice with my steering tho that the majority of the time my steering was spot on, but from time to time my steering would act up, best way I could describe it is as wandering, but that only happened once and a while.... it's like my truck would split the steering in half, if the steering wheel was slightly left then the steering wheel would slightly fight you when your turning the steering wheel slightly right, then ive your steering wheel was slightly right it would slightly fight you if you tried turning your steering wheel left. it never favored one side or the other seemed to be dead even.... but like I said that would only happen from time to time. 95 percent of the time seeing was spot on driving straight.... idk the whole thing baffles me really. but I'm lucky to have a great dealer, they have taken care of me since day one, so they have my absolute trust in fixing the problem.

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Registered
14,311 Posts
yea, that's about how mine is...

I say it steers straight, because for the most part it does, it isn't 10° off one way or the other. I had noticed about the same time it locked up the first time that a day or two before the steering wheel was positioned slightly off, but figured it was wind or some external force, then it went away. I guess thinking back, this has happened several times, but 5 miles on the highway then off and onto slower roads you don't really think much of it. Especially not if the next time it seems normal.

My truck is a 2010, new in aug/2010, so I really don't drive as much as average here does being as I am not even at 22k miles yet.

Like I said, my steering seemed to lock up twice where it didn't wanna move, like you were stuck in a rut trying to turn against a wall...

· Registered
14,311 Posts
And it was windy that day, so bad video sound quality.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hrmm yea sounds like your have a few similar attributes my truck has. I thought I was doing great with the mileage in my 11 but Damn you got me beat haha. you should take your truck in, who knows it might be signs of your rack going out. something isn't right, steering locking up def would scare my ass straight to the dealer....

· Registered
14,311 Posts
I have been planning on taking it in for about a month now, just busy. Now going to 6day work weeks, only leaves sunday. I noticed dealer lost one of the skidplate to lower bumper clips and stripped the other 2 out, need those too...

I guess this will be a call/email and send video first so they know what is up ahead of time.

Reactions: serberus

· Premium Member
224 Posts
Who is the dealer performing the warranty work? Curious, I had my Revtek kit installed at Titus-Will Toyota in Tacoma.

· Registered
14,311 Posts
You guys turning your nannies off?
99% of the time, at least stage 2... when my summer wheels are on, stage 3 one wheel wonder...

Reactions: serberus and theoat

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.