Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Right now I own a Nissan Titan that I bought new in 2004. I have it set up nicely with a mini lift. It still runs and looks good and I'm at 95,000 miles. It requires more love now, I'm always fixing something, but I keep up with it. Main thing is it's paid for. I'm considering a new truck while mine is still worth something.

Friday I stopped in a local toyota dealer and test drove 2 trucks. SR5 Double cab 4x4. One 5.7 and one 4.6. Yeah the 5.7 is snotty enough. To be honest it's very similar to the 5.6 in my Nissan. My initial impression is the 5.7 and my truck don't appear that much different. I'm expecting the build quality and durability will be better on the Tundra. Also more std features like tow hitch, heated power mirrors, updated entertainment, backup cam 6 spd trans, etc.

I'm not towing anything massive anymore, to be honest, I'm tired of only using half of what my engine puts out. I like the way the 4.6 drives and it's probably worth saving the 1500 extra bucks to me. And it's plenty quick. Never ever thought I'd crave less power, but it just seems it's more fun to have somewhat less power and be able to use all of it more often, instead of constantly feathering the gas pedal.

The stickers are claiming the 5.7 gets 17 highway and the 4.6 gets 18. Is there really that little difference in mileage? It's hard to believe. Please share your experience as far as the mileage you get or the difference between the two.

I did a build and buy on consumer reports, SR5 Double Cab 4.6 with alloys and sway bar, sticker was 36,700. My local dealer is offering it to me for about 2300 dollars less at 34,350.

I told them right now I'd buy the truck for 30,000 and I need 10 grand for my truck, which is about middle of the road according to KBB and Edmunds.

I know that's a lot to ask, but you gotta start somewhere, and I've got tons of patience on this one. How negotiable was your dealer? Any tips on getting the best deal possible?

So really I'm asking 2 questions; One on the gas mileage of the two V8's, and one on how negotiable your dealer was.

Thanks for Taking the time for this long read, and for any input/suggestions/replies you might have.

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just talked with a guy who bought the 4.6. He's getting 17 highway, just like my 5.7. He said he regrets the decision.

I did all my negotiating via e-mail. The price was fair and all I did was go in, write a check, sign papers, & drive home. Mountain States Toyota in Denver, CO. Really easy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled The Trigger !!!

Well I got all my numbers straight, and decided how much I wanted for my truck.

This morning I took a trip a few towns over and presented my numbers to the dealer. He had ZERO new Tundras on the lot. When all was said and done, he was about 800 dollars over what I wanted to spend.

From there I went to my local dealership, They ended up letting the same truck go for just about 300 over what my magic number was. it also included what I wanted for my Nissan. So I took it. They said it will be ready sometime next week.

I'm starting to get a little stoked after a long day of sitting around dealerships.

My Nissan held Up OK for 9 years, Hopefully I might do even better with the Tundra !!!!!!

Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks CM and Congrats to you Too !!!!!!!! Nice looking rig ya got There. I tow a boat myself.

You notice a whole lot of difference in the driving experience between the two trucks? The 5.7 felt similar to the Titan for me, turning radius seems considerably tighter for the Tundra. You're probably enjoying the 4x4 as well.

PS: (Everyone knows Silver is the Fastest Color !!!! LOL)

Can't wait to post up some pics of mine, even if it's only bone stock :)

Joe

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks CM and Congrats to you Too !!!!!!!! Nice looking rig ya got There. I tow a boat myself.

You notice a whole lot of difference in the driving experience between the two trucks? The 5.7 felt similar to the Titan for me, turning radius seems considerably tighter for the Tundra. You're probably enjoying the 4x4 as well.

PS: (Everyone knows Silver is the Fastest Color !!!! LOL)

Can't wait to post up some pics of mine, even if it's only bone stock :)

Joe
The Titan was the first truck I had owned that wasn't 4x4, I needed to get back into 4wd. I figured by the end of summer here in Calif the ramps will be out of the water and we will be launching with 4wd only. The Tundra does have a tighter turning radius and rides better than the Titan. Gas mileage is a little less or about the same for me. I always had to be careful taking off in the Titan or I would spin the tire (no limited slip or VSC), much easier in the Tundra but with VSC that would be expected. First thing I did was change the headlight bulbs, hated the yellow color of the lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured by the end of summer here in Calif the ramps will be out of the water and we will be launching with 4wd only.
Launching was the first thought had when you said you had 2WD. Lotta the ponds I fish don't really have a "Ramp", more like a path. More times than not, the back half of my truck is in the lake before the boat floats, Heh Heh :)

First thing I did was change the headlight bulbs, hated the yellow color of the lights.
You know this is just the beginning.... I'm going to have to start doing all this stuff to get the Tundra up to snuff with my "Un Modded" Nissan. It's easy to forget all the improvements I've made, both big and small over the last few years.... Of course my memory is continually degrading :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Launching was the first thought had when you said you had 2WD. Lotta the ponds I fish don't really have a "Ramp", more like a path. More times than not, the back half of my truck is in the lake before the boat floats, Heh Heh :)

You know this is just the beginning.... I'm going to have to start doing all this stuff to get the Tundra up to snuff with my "Un Modded" Nissan. It's easy to forget all the improvements I've made, both big and small over the last few years.... Of course my memory is continually degrading :)

Lol, it's never ending. I'm too damn old now and I don't do a bunch of mods like I used to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to TT and glad you could pull the deal you wanted.
Thank You Plat,

My inside informant (my buddy's wife who works at the dealership) told me the truck came in Thursday. I got a call Friday, But didn't pick it up until Saturday about 1pm. it was a very hectic weekend.

First thing i did was figure out how to quickly turn off the radio display. Also the dash display. JUST TOO DISTRACTING right now. I was spending waaay too much time looking at all the fancy colors. Having the phone/music quickly connect, steering wheel controls, voice commands, just getting the hang of it. Never had that stuff on another vehicle and it's pretty cool.

Truck drives like a dream, The michelin 255-70-18 LTX M/S2's are highly rated. the reviews written on Tire Rack are quite flattering. hopefully they will live up to the claims. Never really liked using all season highway treads in the snow.

Definitely different than the Titan. Hood blocks a lot more of the road, sideview mirror blind spots, rear window blind spots are taking some getting used to. Also way too easy to stare at the camara when backing up. I better start getting in the habit of looking over my shoulder again. :)

Other than that I'm just slowly transferring my 'Essentials' into the truck. There is less storage room, especially going from a Crew Cab to the Double Cab. I know there is enough room to keep it tight, I just can't afford to be as much of a slob now :) Really nice having the 6.5' bed vs the 5ft bed.

Already talked to the guys in my carpool and told them I'll be driving myself into work this week. Gotta spend some quality time and get to know each other. Also said my Goodbyes to the Titan. The old whore still ran nice and strong and I hope her next owner gives her some love too. It will make someone a good used truck hopefully.

One last thing, I just noticed on my truck as well as other silver Tundras, there is a hint of blue in there, I couldn't tell for sure. it just hit me as I'm typing, i think it's called 'SkyBlue Silver' ??? That would explain it. in any case this color is knocking my socks off.

All in all a great weekend, looking forward to driving to work this week.

Quite a Ramble, Thanks for Reading :)

Joe

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Haha !! Well a huge upgrade any way you look at it. I am not sure about the color. Mine has no hint of blue and I have the metallic "silver sky" that comes with the platinum. I love silver on these trucks !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts