Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 16 CM and the stock system is literally the worst I’ve ever heard in a vehicle. Anyway I see there is a lot of audio knowledge here and wanted to ask about just a simple speaker upgrade.
If I just replaced all the speakers and nothing else would I hear a significant improvement. Of course what I replaced with is key so any suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind the reason for the upgrade being simple is mostly financially driven. I would love a major upgrade but don’t have that kind of money. Just spent it all on a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
Don't start with the speakers, they're really not that bad. It's the stock amp that should be your first step. Replace the stock amp under the passenger seat with a 4-channel (5 if you want to add a sub) amp that has speaker level inputs. It's pretty plug and play other than running a new power wire and there are plenty of threads about doing it here to help.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
What he said ^^^.

Replacing speakers will not really improve much as there simply is not enough power.

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Don't start with the speakers, they're really not that bad. It's the stock amp that should be your first step. Replace the stock amp under the passenger seat with a 4-channel (5 if you want to add a sub) amp that has speaker level inputs. It's pretty plug and play other than running a new power wire and there are plenty of threads about doing it here to help.
to add to this:

the oem wires are large enough to power a small amp without running anything. i have the jl brick(i was bored) but the alpine or any other will work. if you buy a couple of harnesses it's quite literally plug and play.

the important thing in removing the oem amp is you are changing the frequencies sent to the door speakers up front. the factory amp has them cut low for only bass. changing the amp to a full range really livens things up a bit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just curious, would this all good for 2013 non-JBL? Or have they changed things in later models?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am replacing the speakers in mine, as the speakers will be a Christmas gift. I have a 2008 grade model, so mine doesn't have the factory amp. I am also on a budget, so I will be doing it in stages. I expect this to make a decent improvement, and if I'm not satisfied, I will buy an amp eventually to push more power to the better speakers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am replacing the speakers in mine, as the speakers will be a Christmas gift. I have a 2008 grade model, so mine doesn't have the factory amp. I am also on a budget, so I will be doing it in stages. I expect this to make a decent improvement, and if I'm not satisfied, I will buy an amp eventually to push more power to the better speakers.
Hey Parker, let me know if there was a significant improvement, I have an 07 and thinking of just replacing speakers also.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
@ugabulldog
I just installed the new speakers today in my truck. I went through Crutchfield and got 6.5" rockford fosgate punch in the front and 5 1/4 fosgate prime for the rear. For what I was looking for, these worked perfectly. The factory speakers were really garbage and paper, and any time a song with a little hint of bass came on, the sound got really distorted and the speakers vibrated horribly.

Now this new setup isn't going to win any sound competitions or blow anything away, but I can definitely tell a big difference in clarity and sound quality. I'm definitely happy with this. I haven't decided if I want to put a new head unit as well or not. I know that would push more power and have more tuning options, but for now, I'm very pleased. My system wasn't very strong anyways, so for the $120 I spent with Crutchfield, I am definitely happy.

Reactions: ugabulldog

·
Registered
297 Posts
Replacing the speakers before the HU will leave you with hardly any bass in sound. Your stock HU will barely move your new speakers. Trust me been there done that.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Replacing the speakers before the HU will leave you with hardly any bass in sound. Your stock HU will barely move your new speakers. Trust me been there done that.
I agree, there isn't alot of bass, so if that is something you really want, I would definitely do the head unit as well/first. Before, my speakers were badly distorted when even turning the volume up to 30 (halfway). Now at that level, it is very clear and sounds good, but not alot of bass.

I was actually given money for Christmas as well to go towards a new stereo, so in the next month or so, I may go ahead and order a new stereo as well from Crutchfield.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.