Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just registered because I will be purchasing a Tundra crew max in the next few weeks. I have been considering a Tacoma(secretly a F150 too), but it may be too small for me, wife, and 2 girls who require car seats. I am considering the 4.6L (I know, I've been reading the threads :) ), but I don't tow anything, and power is not a requirement (I care less about resale value since I will be paying less on the drivetrain option). PLEASE: I don't want to start a debate on the engines, there are threads for these already (I just wanted to receive insight from your likes/dislikes if we overlap requirements)

I'm in San Diego (Poway), and I would love to get some feedback from members on their experiences & mileage per gallon. I understand I'll be buying a truck & MPG w/ truck might not go well in the same sentence. The reason, I would like local feedback on the 4.6 L drivetrain is because the gasoline mix + local conditions might skew prospectives (I see/read constantly that folks at higher altitudes & East cost getting significantly higher MPG based on non-scientific forum readings or it could be just my skewed observation). Also, I have been a been a toyota fan for many years (MR2, 3 Corollas, Rav4, IS300, Echo) yet all small engines. But as a side observation, I believe Toyota has been riding on fumes when it comes to quality & innovation. WHY? I can't believe, but I would even consider a F150 & have been looking at the F150 forum as well :eek:.

Quality issues observed with my loved brand: Current issues with my newest toyotas(the oldest ones NO issues): water pump (2006 Rav4), paint is crap now down to rust on the hood+roof on 1 of the 3 Corolla's I bought (2005 blue)....the silver is fine like new (both purchased the same time - kept in the same driveway/garage (go figure).

Important: I will take this truck fishing so 4x4 is mandatory (Colorado river, lakes, camping etc), but I don't have a boat to tow (maybe something small in the future...< 3,500 lbs). I believe these requirements will suit just fine the 4.6L. I would also love a white truck, but I'm concerned about the paint problems reported on the white truck by other members.

Thanks in advance for the wonderful & insightful data provided here & keeping folks informed. I love this forum:p

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Sounds like the 4.6 Tundra or a Doublecab Tacoma will suit your needs just fine. The Tacoma backseat is about the same size as a DC Tundra. Personally, I would say the Tacoma may be a better fit for you if you are ok with the size since it will be more economical and maintenance/insurance will be cheaper. A Taco with tow package will pull a 3500-4500 pound boat with no issues as well.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I have 5.7, but I think 4.6 is pretty good engine. You gotta go with what you like and what you need. If we all went with the popular opinion of the forum, we will all be driving similar looking trucks (raised, blacked out, dechromed, debadged, supercharged, etc.). You could respect and appreciate others' taste, but no one else is paying for your truck.

Having said that, there are some members here who got 4.6 for mpg and were disappointed. The difference is measurable, but not as dramatic as some have hoped. You have to make sure that you won't be disappointed. There are some 5.7 owners who report close to 20 mpg on highway.

Reactions: SD Tuna

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the main concern I had was related to the high seating position in the Tacoma. I plan on driving this truck for long hauls & want it to be confrotable. I did run some true cost to own between the Taco & Tundra, but in the end it's just $ and I don't think it's that significantly different. If it were a $ concern alone, I could be driving a 4 banger forever :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome, good to have another San Diegan here! I have the 5.7 so no help for you there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts