Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have done a ton of reading on the forum but haven't found the exact answer I am looking for given my truck setup. Hoping that someone could help me out.

I have a 2014 CM 4x4 with an OME 614 614 3" lift and CB+3 shackle in the rear w/ Toyo Open Country 285/75r18 MT Tires.

I am looking at possibly purchasing a Jayco White Hawk 24MBH Travel Trailer.

Specs:
Dry Weight: 5,680#
Hitch Weight: 670# (doesn't include batteries or propane)
GVWR: 7,350#

My questions are...
Any issues with towing this TT?
Any modifications to think about besides WDH, Tow Mirrors, Brake Control?

Any advice that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just get the right hitch and you’ll be fine, I know that’s a bumper pull but a friend to a friend take your time and get comfortable.

I now have a 12 month old baby and we have been doing just fine in a 40’ fifth wheel on a six inch lifted 15 CM with cooper MT 35x12.5 tires on 22” fuels.

just do yourself the favor and make your dealer of choice swap the China bomb tires for better brands available with higher speed ratings and stronger side walls or you might be buying them on the way home from vacation. Make them do it as a part of the deal. I’m currently camping again at buccaneer state park camp ground for Halloween.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just get the right hitch and you’ll be fine, I know that’s a bumper pull but a friend to a friend take your time and get comfortable.

I now have a 12 month old baby and we have been doing just fine in a 40’ fifth wheel on a six inch lifted 15 CM with cooper MT 35x12.5 tires on 22” fuels.

just do yourself the favor and make your dealer of choice swap the China bomb tires for better brands available with higher speed ratings and stronger side walls or you might be buying them on the way home from vacation. Make them do it as a part of the deal. I’m currently camping again at buccaneer state park camp ground for Halloween.
That is a heck of a setup you have there. Thanks for the advice. I have a 5 month old that will be traveling along with us. I picked up a good WDH and will be taking things easy as I get used to the new camper. Surprisingly, the camper comes with Goodyear tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That’s awesome congratulations on the baby, there is another couple we just spent a weekend out with and they have a 7 month old. We went to buccaneer state campground.
this was an awesome place for a kid filled trick or treat event. The park was filled and everyone decorated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You seem to have all the bases covered, the truck will be fine with that size camper. Mpg is gonna be crap with those big heavy M/t's tho.

Wonder who edited my post, the comment about prob being over payload by 3-400 lbs but well under all other weights has vanished. Hmmm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder who edited my post, the comment about prob being over payload by 3-400 lbs but well under all other weights has vanished. Hmmm.
That is strange that part of your post got edited. I figured I would be under by 450lbs once I added propane and battery. After passengers, I would have about 100lbs left. I guess once I load up the bed I would be over payload by a little. Seems like it is very easy to max out payload on the Tundra, any major concerns there?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought you had a pic with a motorcycle in the bed as well. Nothing wrong imho about being 300-500 lbs over payload, as long as not over on any other weights. I am over about 3-400 lbs payload with my camper and to err on the side of safety have added load range e tires, airbags &upgraded rear shocks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Payloads are calculated based on the weakest link in the chain. Usually it is the load capacity of the tires or the leaf springs, both of which can be changed to increase or decrease payload. With a crew cab the manufacturers also use a 150 lbs per seat value and so a crew cab with have a lower payload rating than a regular cab truck with all other aspects being the same.

The Tundra's 4.30 gearing is going to be more forgiving than most trucks when kids install oversize tires. Fuel economy and handling are going to be compromised but if one thinks big wheels look cool then what the heck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Guys, I have done a ton of reading on the forum but haven't found the exact answer I am looking for given my truck setup. Hoping that someone could help me out.

I have a 2014 CM 4x4 with an OME 614 614 3" lift and CB+3 shackle in the rear w/ Toyo Open Country 285/75r18 MT Tires.

I am looking at possibly purchasing a Jayco White Hawk 24MBH Travel Trailer.

Specs:
Dry Weight: 5,680#
Hitch Weight: 670# (doesn't include batteries or propane)
GVWR: 7,350#

My questions are...
Any issues with towing this TT?
Any modifications to think about besides WDH, Tow Mirrors, Brake Control?

Any advice that can be provided is greatly appreciated.
You should be fine with that setup. Just remember to keep up on proper maintenance.

My old TT had a hitch weight of 680 dry, 7000 unloaded and I had no issues. (put about 4000 miles on it) I did get e-rated tires, brake controller, and heavy duty brakes as I needed to replace them anyway. Also had a 10k wdh (don't get a cheap chain wdh).
Now I have a hitch weight of 1400 or so, 9800 loaded on my 5th wheel, just added timbrens. Truck does great, actually equal or better in all areas. (put about 3000 miles on it so far)

Good luck & happy camping

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2016 DC TRD and tow a 26' camper, 5000lbs unloaded. I have probably 6000 miles towing this camper now. Definitely get tow mirrors otherwise you won't be able to see around the camper. I got mine off Amazon and put them on myself, about 30 minutes total. I would also advise getting an aftermarket brake controller. I was told by the dealer I bought the truck from that the factory one has problems. TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROL + WIRING HARNESS FOR TOYOTA 4RUNNER, LANDCRUISER, SEQUOIA, TUNDRA TACOMA & LEXUS LX570 GX460 LX470 GX470. CONTROLLER + PLUG/PLAY WIRE KIT.
by Tekonsha. I installed the brake controller in under 30 minutes, and it works great. Most importantly get the right hitch. Mine is from the RV dealer and it is load balancing and anti-sway. Never an issue at 70 or 75 on the interstate. Have fun with the camper.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You will be fine

Mirrors and a brake controller are a must. Tires, airbags, and brakes are good ideas as well.

I’m camping right now at Palmetto Island State Park this weekend.

32’ 5er 6500lbs dry. Around 9000lbs with the golf cart inside.

Edit: since kids got brought up. My 10 year old and my 2 year old (today is his birthday) ride in the backseat and love to camp / park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2016 DC TRD and tow a 26' camper, 5000lbs unloaded. I have probably 6000 miles towing this camper now. Definitely get tow mirrors otherwise you won't be able to see around the camper. I got mine off Amazon and put them on myself, about 30 minutes total. I would also advise getting an aftermarket brake controller. I was told by the dealer I bought the truck from that the factory one has problems. TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROL + WIRING HARNESS FOR TOYOTA 4RUNNER, LANDCRUISER, SEQUOIA, TUNDRA TACOMA & LEXUS LX570 GX460 LX470 GX470. CONTROLLER + PLUG/PLAY WIRE KIT.
by Tekonsha. I installed the brake controller in under 30 minutes, and it works great. Most importantly get the right hitch. Mine is from the RV dealer and it is load balancing and anti-sway. Never an issue at 70 or 75 on the interstate. Have fun with the camper.
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you mount your brake controller?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you mount your brake controller?
I mounted my controller right underneath near the steering column. You can now mount it where the factory controller is, but they want like $70 or $80 for the face plate and I was told it is real tight to get it in there. I just left mine mounted where I put it. I couldn't see paying that much for a piece of plastic that's maybe worth $2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts