Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks fellas....

Got a couple jobs lined up already. First up, tune up/oil change/tire rotation on the wife's Eclipse Spyder.

Oil tank gets filled tomorrow, so I'll be firing up the oil burner and testing that out tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Quick brake job on my brothers car....this is the way to get this kind of stuff done!!

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1453591776.316335.jpg

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1453591788.937909.jpg

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1453591805.029338.jpg

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Pretty expensive cup holder you have there. Nice

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Lol, well....that's one of its many functions 😂😂

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Well, I've had an interesting 5 days. Added some equipment to the shop that I thought would take me years to get.

So I was working at a client site that is local to me. My client contact tells me about a former employee that recently passed away unexpectedly (2 years before he was to retire). He proceeds to tell me that this man was a tool/equipment/machinery hoarder. Long story short, the wife of the deceased wants the property cleared of all tools and equipment ASAP. The mans only son is a computer/IT guy with absolutely no knowledge or interest in any of the tools/equipment/machinery.

A few things I was told up front: the wife of the deceased had already made an arrangement with the local vocational school to donate all of the machining equipment (this man had a full-on machine shop in his basement, his house is wired with 3 phase power). So all of the machine shop equipment/tooling/and raw materials go to the vocational school. I was bummed because I would have loved to grab his Bridgeport and begin learning the trade. Alas, that wasn't happening.

What was up for grabs was still amazing. Multiple small-mid size tractors, an impressive Gravely collection, numerous pieces of antique testing equipment (hydrostatic testers, audio testing equipment, electrical testing equipment....much much more). Far too much to list. I was in awe with the amount of stuff this guy has collected over the years.

What did I walk away with?? Well, first was an Econoline Super RA-24 sandblasting cabinet. It is missing it's vacuum, but the rest of it is there (controls/gun/regulator/foot valve etc.). I think I'll just use a shopvac on this unit, it's not like I'll be using it all that often. Second, a complete floor standing parts washer/cabinet. Third, a Southworth LS05 30 lift table (500# lift capacity) with the accordion lift boot option. Fourth, an American Forge & Foundry 1 ton mobile folding crane/engine hoist. Lastly, I got several pieces of the antique testers (my inner hoarder got ahold of me several times while pawing over this place). As well as several pieces of classic audio/stereo stuff (receiver, amp, etc).

All told I spent $260 on everything described above.

In addition to my score, I brought one of my uncles over who was interested in the Gravely equipment. At the end of the day, he walks away with every Gravely piece on the property. 3 running Gravely 10A's, 1 running Gravely Super Convertible, 5 other Gravely's in various states of completion...most rolling. Attachments for the Gravely's....2 snow blowers, 2 30" single blade mower decks, 1 sickle mower, 1 reel mower, 2 48" snow plows, 1 48" rotary sweeper, 1 rototiller, 1 turf/sod buster, 2 augers with vertical gear boxes. Numerous boxes of spare parts for the Gravely's.

*Forgot to mention the wire trencher attachment for the Gravely...

He also came away with 2 generators. One Onan 3kw gasoline portable, one older Sears & Roebuck 6kw LP fired stationary generator w/electric & crank handle start. Both in great shape, both running.

He spent $570 on his take.

I will likely be back to grab more. But I really don't need anything else 😆😆

I'll snap some picks of the new equipment in place once I have it ready. I was spent when I got home after moving all of that equipment yesterday 😵😵

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Great score. Unbelievable prices.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Done a few little projects in the shop over the last couple weeks...

Timing belt/water pump/hoses etc. on my BIL's Impreza.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613409.642010.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613437.571715.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613471.688888.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613499.884885.jpg

And a little maintenance/repair work on one of my Jr. 4Wheelers (Polaris Predator 90).

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613557.482274.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613585.111686.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613596.903887.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613610.309532.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1456613624.699321.jpg

This lift table is a life changer for working on these things....

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
The thing I regret is not pouring the footings for a lift . I knew I couldn't afford to put one in when I was doing the shop but didn't think about doing it down the line.

Now it would be a major PITA instead of just bolting one in.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
The thing I regret is not pouring the footings for a lift . I knew I couldn't afford to put one in when I was doing the shop but didn't think about doing it down the line.

Now it would be a major PITA instead of just bolting one in.

How thick did you pour the floor? The lift installation manual calls for 4" of 3000 PSI concrete. I went overboard with 8" of 4000 PSI for safety factor, but 4" of 3000 is all that's called for. Especially if you're only doing work on your own light stuff (no 1 tons and such).

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
View attachment 617586

This is what would happen if I owned a lift. And it would probably be someone else's truck other than mine. :)

On a bright note, your shop is amazingly nice.

Yeah, no doubt I think about accidents/issues when using the lift. It's mostly about knowing where to place the lift pads, and loading the vehicle as balanced as possible. Most all of these accidents come from Johnny greenhorn throwing a car on the lift for an oil change and not paying attention to pad placement and balance. Followed by overloading....both of those will not be happening on my lift. When I do things on my lift I take my time, double check everything once the car is just off the ground, and only proceed if it looks good. More than once I've taken a vehicle back down because I didn't like the pad placement and/or balance. I don't have to worry about time/speed/or making $$ with it...so I don't care about the time it takes. Safety first!

Thanks for the compliment! The shop has been a lot of work to put together, but all that work is paying off big time now!

In other news, I've had to re-engage the beer fridge. The fridge has been shut down for the winter (just keep the refreshments on the cold side of the barn in the cold weather). Since its been so warm that hasn't been working out....lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
wow . I need a project, how many beer to get on to bignuge`s friend list.

I have a 2 car garage.One side is 24 foot long and it fits the tundra which is 22 feet.the other side fits my ford explorer and is shorter.wish I had a little more space for the motorcycle. I leave It under a tarp under a roof all winter.

I think I need to move out of mass to get something bigger. the price are nutz even in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
wow . I need a project, how many beer to get on to bignuge`s friend list.

I have a 2 car garage.One side is 24 foot long and it fits the tundra which is 22 feet.the other side fits my ford explorer and is shorter.wish I had a little more space for the motorcycle. I leave It under a tarp under a roof all winter.

I think I need to move out of mass to get something bigger. the price are nutz even in my neighborhood.

Lol, moving out of MA would be an improvement all the way around. Where in MA are you at? I'm in southern NH, right on the border. I am 2 miles from the Salisbury border.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lol, moving out of MA would be an improvement all the way around. Where in MA are you at? I'm in southern NH, right on the border. I am 2 miles from the Salisbury border.
I live in N.Attleboro which is north of providence. But we do camp in Salisbury beach .I will be there on memorial day weekend hang out spot as my friend was in a regular band.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I live in N.Attleboro which is north of providence. But we do camp in Salisbury beach .I will be there on memorial day weekend hang out spot as my friend was in a regular band.

Cool. I might be camping Memorial Day weekend...but if not then maybe hook up for a beer man! You can check out the shop in person...lol.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts