Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on a new tire. Done a lot of research and narrowed it down a bit. I'm leaning toward Nitto Terra Graps if I go LT275/70/18 (33.2"x10.8") and the Toyo Open Country AT's if I go LT285/65/18 (32.6"x11.2") since the Toyo AT's don't come in the Xtreme version in the 275's.

I'd also consider the 295/65/18 (33"x 11.6") , but I think it is only available in the BFG AT, which I don't care for as much.

My question are the advantage & disadvantages of the wider tire? Here's all I have been able to come up with so far. How does the wider tire effect towing?

Advantages:
Look better

Disadvantages:
Snow traction
Gas Mileage

·
Registered
408 Posts
Better handle on wider tires as well

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
My tires are 13" wide and I'm starting to hate them. They wanna follow every lil nook and cranny on the road

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Yeah in not so deep snow, theoretically you want a narrow tire to cut through instead of spreading the weight and floating on top. In very deep snow however I found sometimes floating is better than sinking because sinking means it's past the frame level and then you're not going to get out of that. In my actual experience though, tread pattern/depth and rubber compound make a heck of a lot more difference in winter performance.

I think a 12.5 or 12.7" tire section width is a good tradeoff. Anything wider than that is mostly for looks and yes with a 37" O.D. tire you probably want 13.5" wide track otherwise they look skinny from the front or rear. If you've ever driven a lifted truck with really wide tires (say like 40x15.50) they tend to wander a bit especially if the road has seen very heavy traffic and is no longer perfectly flat. Off road they're amazing though but if this vehicle is a daily driver it's probably going to see some pavement use.

Alright it's a little difficult to explain in words unless you have the chance to try out someone else's truck with those exact tires that you're wanting but with the tire track widths you're mentioning I don't think you're going to those extremes, literally 275 vs 295 is 2cm difference. It's not going to cause fitment issues either. I went from a 275 to a 325 which is a bit more of a change.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Agree with the plow effect. Plus the wider you go the Worse your MPG gets

·
Registered
238 Posts
Trying to decide on a new tire. Done a lot of research and narrowed it down a bit. I'm leaning toward Nitto Terra Graps if I go LT275/70/18 (33.2"x10.8") and the Toyo Open Country AT's if I go LT285/65/18 (32.6"x11.2") since the Toyo AT's don't come in the Xtreme version in the 275's.

I'd also consider the 295/65/18 (33"x 11.6") , but I think it is only available in the BFG AT, which I don't care for as much.

My question are the advantage & disadvantages of the wider tire? Here's all I have been able to come up with so far. How does the wider tire effect towing?

Advantages:
Look better

Disadvantages:
Snow traction
Gas Mileage
295/65/18 only comes in the Goodyear Duratrac as far as I know. Has not messed with my mileage enough for me to tell the difference. Also its the only AT I fount the had the snow symbol on it. I'll find out about that this winter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
295/65/18 only comes in the Goodyear Duratrac as far as I know. Has not messed with my mileage enough for me to tell the difference. Also its the only AT I fount the had the snow symbol on it. I'll find out about that this winter.
Yes, it's the Duratrac not the BFG's, I was mixed up with all the options I've been looking at. And i actually do like the looks of that tire!

And it seems like these sizes I'm looking at aren't so significant that it's going to matter much. But there sure seems to be some difference in the looks when I see other's trucks. Pictures can be so deceiving though! I will make sure that I buy from a tire shop that will allow me to exchange tires if I don't like the size and/or ride.

When it comes to "wandering" my truck really seems to do that now! The crown of the road will make the truck pull like it's out of alignment (either side). The steering is very loose as well. I can turn my steering wheel a couple inches in either direction and it has no effect steering? Do you guys experience the same thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
12.5 wide on mine (295/55/20 Toy AT II Extremes) and I will feel it wonder a bit but no slack in the steering wheel. Mine are E rated also, so the high tire pressure may have a little to with that also.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Wider Tires For Toyota Tundra

I can tell you what I did. I purchased the Nitto Tera Grapplers in size 285/55R/20. I love them but now I wish I bought the Nitto Trail Grapplers in a size 295/60R/20. The wide tire provides a smooth ride. Also the tire has a psi rating of up to 80 lbs of air pressure. I fill them up to 70lbs all the way around and I do a lot of highway driving and it glides. I also purchased a Rancho Quick Lift for the front and the Rancho RS900 shocks for the rear. I they all have a dial where you can tune it to really soft #1 to very firm #9. I set mine to #9 and it is a very nice ride. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Nitto Nt 420 on my 2010. 305/50/20 e rated.. Great tire. I also see a lot of the following every little nook and cranny. And the crown of the road makes it seem out of alignment but when the road is perfectly flat it tracks straight. Ok ride but the lower profile on the 20" rim it loses some ride. I can still get in the 18-19 mpg if I'm gentle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts